03-12-2019, 05:10 AM
User Info
I bought a lot with three razors in an auction and one of them is a Schick Krona (the version with the metal end). 
I already own a Gillette Slim Twist and I'm not looking to start a collection so since these two razors seem to be filling the exact same niche, the plan is to sell one. The question is which. 
Obviously I will try shaving with the Krona and see which one I prefer, but I thought perhaps someone with more experience might have some general advice. Personal preferences apart, is there any particular reason to keep one or the other? Both are in good condition. I can post pictures of the Krona as soon as my cleaning operation is done.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

1 211
 03-12-2019, 05:28 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Of the two I found the Krona to give better shaves. Less irritating with a 2 pass and touch ups routine. I would keep the best shaver and pass on the other.

66 5,408
 03-12-2019, 12:06 PM
User Info
Of the two I found the Krona to give better shaves. Less irritating with a 2 pass and touch ups routine. I would keep the best shaver and pass on the other.
Signs011

22 832
 03-14-2019, 02:17 PM
User Info
Keeping the best shaver is the smart play but if they shave about the same for you (I preferred the Krona though I think the twist is still around somewhere) you might see which will bring the better resale or trade value.

20 153
 03-14-2019, 02:31 PM
User Info
(03-14-2019, 02:17 PM)stoutreader Wrote: Keeping the best shaver is the smart play but if they shave about the same for you (I preferred the Krona though I think the twist is still around somewhere) you might see which will bring the better resale or trade value.

Good point. Then again, both are cheap.
I'm going to use them a couple of more times and experiment with different blades, but at this (premature) point I am almost leaning towards getting rid of both.
They are nice and all, but so far I can't really see a reason to pick them over my Merkur. I did find the Krona to be tricker to handle than the Slim Twist for some reason, some balance thing. Perhaps I'll get used to it. I do like the construction of the Krona and it's possible to take it completely apart for cleaning (haven't figured out how to do that with the Gillette if it can be done).

1 211
 03-14-2019, 02:51 PM
User Info
I probably have over 40 or 50 DE razors (some are duplicates or variations) and I hate to admit it but I can't remember when I reached for the Krona last. I remember the shaves are good, but I just tend to reach for a vintage Gillette or a new stainless like Ikon or ATT. I honestly couldn't swear where the Twist is. Maybe in the overflow's overflow box? I keep thinking I really need to do some PIFs and some sales to clear out what I don't reach for and enjoy regularly. I am not likely to outlive any of the Gillette or modern razors I do regularly use, especially with a pretty wide rotation. If neither razor speaks to you and you have others that do, selling or PIFing them might be the wisest choice.

20 153
 03-14-2019, 06:15 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Worcester
User Info
Admittingly I haven't tried a Slim Twist, but the Krona is a surprisingly enjoyable, mild yet efficient razor. I was without one for a long time and am very happy to have it back in my collection.

38 1,881
 03-16-2019, 08:42 AM
User Info
The Krona and I just don't seem to get along.

Granted, I've only shaved with it twice so maybe I should give it more time, but so far it bit me both times and the shaves feel uneven and irritating. It's strange, I know the Slim Twist is supposed to be similar and that worked just fine, a bit mild perhaps but very easy to shave with. The irony is that I "like" the Krona much better, it looks cooler and has a better feel in the hand but if I am not compatible with it, then it'll have to go.

1 211
 03-29-2019, 03:24 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
I find with most vintage butterfly razors, the tolerances aren't quite there, maybe dial the blade back a notch. 

My Kronas work well with Crystals - where more modern razors I get great results with Feathers - including the $12-18 Popular which also has a nice long handle. 

The Krona is great for a vintage Gillette-free shave if you are into themes. 

There were several models made, but all are very similar - Ironically, my better Krona shaves lately have been with one with the plastic knob, and only 'Schick' on one door just like that, not 'SCHICK' - I think these were some of the last made, but I can't be sure.

I would check the blade alignment and gap if you haven't.  The center posts on these can get bent, and that throws the exposure out of whack.  The models with the metal knobs are heavier, so they
might suffer more damage if dropped by a previous owner.

12 116
 04-05-2019, 09:40 AM
User Info
(03-29-2019, 03:24 PM)norton Wrote: I find with most vintage butterfly razors, the tolerances aren't quite there, maybe dial the blade back a notch. 

My Kronas work well with Crystals - where more modern razors I get great results with Feathers - including the $12-18 Popular which also has a nice long handle. 

The Krona is great for a vintage Gillette-free shave if you are into themes. 

There were several models made, but all are very similar - Ironically, my better Krona shaves lately have been with one with the plastic knob, and only 'Schick' on one door just like that, not 'SCHICK' - I think these were some of the last made, but I can't be sure.

I would check the blade alignment and gap if you haven't.  The center posts on these can get bent, and that throws the exposure out of whack.  The models with the metal knobs are heavier, so they
might suffer more damage if dropped by a previous owner.

Thanks for your comments. 
Very interesting because I just had the best shave yet with the Krona, and for the first time I used a Feather. Previously I've used Timor and Astra SP in the Krona. This may be a case of YMMV. I have carefully checked the razor but it seems perfectly fine to me.

I feel like it has a lot to do with angles. This time I paid more attention to using a shallow angle (i.e. handle further out from my face) and that seemed to work better (and/or it was the blades). I'll give it a few more shaves and see if I can sort this out.

1 211
 04-06-2019, 03:02 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
A Krona just like yours ( sounds like) is one of the razors I inherited from my father and grandfather along with some Gillettes.  While a fine shaver it loses time in my rotation  as I  prefer all my vintage  Gillettes to it.

8 2,578
 04-06-2019, 07:39 AM
User Info
(04-06-2019, 03:02 AM)Mouser Wrote: A Krona just like yours ( sounds like) is one of the razors I inherited from my father and grandfather along with some Gillettes.  While a fine shaver it loses time in my rotation  as I  prefer all my vintage  Gillettes to it.

I have a slim twist and between them I'm not yet sure which I prefer. I really like that the Krona has more heft, just feels like a more solid razor, but on the other hand I had better shaves so far with the Slim Twist. On the third hand both of them loses to my Tech. And finally I don't really that any of the above can really best my boring modern Merkur. So... I dunno, but vintage is fun.

1 211
 04-06-2019, 04:16 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(04-06-2019, 07:39 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(04-06-2019, 03:02 AM)Mouser Wrote: A Krona just like yours ( sounds like) is one of the razors I inherited from my father and grandfather along with some Gillettes.  While a fine shaver it loses time in my rotation  as I  prefer all my vintage  Gillettes to it.

I have a slim twist and between them I'm not yet sure which I prefer. I really like that the Krona has more heft, just feels like a more solid razor, but on the other hand I had better shaves so far with the Slim Twist. On the third hand both of them loses to my Tech. And finally I don't really that any of the above can really best my boring modern Merkur. So... I dunno, but vintage is fun.
I found long ago that modern razors that cost the same as an excellent condition  vintage Gillette  of any model didn't give me as good a shave and the ones that did cost significantly more.  A shame because  I really like the looks of a lot of the modern offerings.

8 2,578
 04-10-2019, 08:10 AM
User Info
Even if they shaved the same for you, I'd keep the Krona as something more distinctive.  If you collect razors, I'd focus on the truly outstanding and iconic Gillettes like the NEWs, Techs, various Fatboy and Slim adjustables, Super Speeds, etc.  The Twist seems more like a late model, end of the DE Gillette era razor designed for the lowest end customers.

7 90