03-13-2019, 04:09 AM
User Info
I won a brush in an online auction. The brush was labeled as vintage and "from the 30's or 40's". Seller also claimed "natural bristles". You know how it is with pictures on online auctions but the brush looked vintage to my eyes even though I did not put much stock in the "30's or 40's" claim. Mostly I liked the handle with the semi-transparent red paint. The design reminded me of Semogue's retro designed brushes.

Now that I got it, I wonder if it is a vintage brush at all. 
The handle shows almost no signs of wear and the knot seems new to me. It has a very faint "animal-like" smell (but nothing like my horse brush smelled when new). The bristles are very stiff, which is to say nowhere as soft as either my synthetic brush or my horse brush. If I were to guess I would say boar (but I'm an amateur so feel free to set me straight). Also, as you can see the outer layer of the bristles looks dyed to look like badger but the interior bristles are not. Knot looks unused to me. 

So, can anyone help me figure out what I got here? Did I get scammed and this is actually a new brush (from China or whatever)? Restored vintage handle? It's still a nice looking handle, not sure what to make of the knot. The handle does not "feel" brand new, but I could be wrong.

Note that I am a brush newbie who owns exactly two brushes, so all my guesses and conclusions might well be wrong, if so please set me straight.

EDIT: the knot is not synthetic. I pulled off a strand (which took some pulling) and burned it. Smells and looks exactly like burnt hair.

[Image: VhZT5Wv.jpg][Image: ajx6Tks.jpg][Image: V9Ot6dl.jpg][Image: DvPN0XP.jpg]

0 108
 03-13-2019, 04:34 AM
User Info
To me it looks like a new boar knot on not so vintage handle.  I can be wrong on the later based only on pictures, but pretty sure about the knot.

0 23
 03-13-2019, 04:36 AM
User Info
(03-13-2019, 04:34 AM)Martini Wrote: To me it looks like a new boar knot on not so vintage handle.  I can be wrong on the later based only on pictures, but pretty sure about the knot.

Yeah, the knot really does seem new. I see no signs of use at all when I study it carefully. Thanks.

0 108
 03-14-2019, 07:14 AM
User Info
Was it expensive?

Have you tried it yet?  

Doesn't look vintage to me.  But, it does look good, and maybe it will perform well.

1 535
 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM
User Info
(03-14-2019, 07:14 AM)David Wrote: Was it expensive?

Have you tried it yet?  

Doesn't look vintage to me.  But, it does look good, and maybe it will perform well.

No, it was not expensive at all, about 80 SEK which is less than 9 USD including shipping, so I'm not upset about it. 
I like the look of the handle, it's wood and has a nice retro design. I haven't shaved with it, but I've cleaned it and had it sitting in warm water for a couple of hours. I'm fairly certain the knot is completely unused. 
So basically it looks like I got a new, no-name, boar brush for 9 bucks. At least I know it won't give me anthrax and ebola. Smile

0 108
 03-15-2019, 02:51 AM
User Info
I got an email from to the lady who sold me the brush after pointing out that I thought the "30's or 40's" dating was incorrect.
She explained that she found the brush when cleaning out an attic where four generations worth of junk was stored. She claimed there were things there from between 1830's to the 1990's and that she just got the "dating" of the brush from googling since she knows nothing of shaving stuff. She agreed it's possible the brush could be unused. I don't see a reason to doubt her given how cheap it was.

So, it's almost certainly unused (until now) and maybe a couple of decades old at most. That seems to be the best guess.
I still really like the handle.

0 108
 03-15-2019, 03:41 AM
User Info
Just a guess but it looks like a generic German boar brush from the 50’s. The metal ring reminds me of that and without labeling, May never know. It does look that it will give good use

8 242
 03-15-2019, 05:07 AM
User Info
(03-15-2019, 03:41 AM)timwcic Wrote: Just a guess but it looks like a generic German boar brush from the 50’s. The metal ring reminds me of that and without labeling, May never know. It does look that it will give good use

Thanks. Interesting guess. Well, if it is from the 50's it's certainly in very good nick. The lacquer on the handle is almost flawless and the knot smelled of boar (presumably) when I got it, but after cleaning and soaking it does not, so it seems to be unused.

0 108
 03-15-2019, 06:02 AM
User Info
Well, you could have purchased a new Omega boar for under $20. Maybe for the same as you paid for this NOS vintage boar brush. 

But for $9 you not only got a beautiful boar brush but a great story.

And there you have it, a tale that will bring a smile to any shaver's DFS. 

Priceless!

0 152
 03-15-2019, 06:27 AM
User Info
(03-15-2019, 06:02 AM)RyznRio Wrote: Well, you could have purchased a new Omega boar for under $20. Maybe for the same as you paid for this NOS vintage boar brush. 

But for $9 you not only got a beautiful boar brush but a great story.

And there you have it, a tale that will bring a smile to any shaver's DFS. 

Priceless!

True! All things considered it was a good deal. The more I look at the thing the more I like it, actually. 

And let's not forget that stories improve with time.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go shave with my genuine mint condition 1930's brush. Smile

0 108
 03-15-2019, 06:07 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
You bought a very attractive brush. Use it in good health and enjoy your shaves.

10 3,314