03-13-2019, 09:05 AM
User Info
Hi,
    I've been experiencing both a red rash and acne on my skin in my beard shaving area. I'm certain part of it is shaving cream and soap's fault, as it doesn't seem to matter which shaving cream or soap I switch to (and I've tried several) I still get the same problem area's over and over again.
   In light of this, I'm thinking about trying out medicated shaving soaps and creams as my next step. However, I'd much prefer to use 100% all-natural ingredients (and preferably vegan (all plants and vegetables).
   I'm also thinking about trying out some medicated after-shave topical skin products too (also natural ingredients).
   I'm just looking for some suggestions on which direction I might take from here.
Thank you

0 113
 03-13-2019, 09:42 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
My
Advice:
Speick,
Aloe Vera,
Thayers
And stop experimenting with new products.

60 2,593
 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM
User Info
There are certain parts of my face that are more prone to irritation and ingrown hairs (chin, neck hollows, mustache). In those areas I never go against the grain, and if I have a rough shave - I will wait 2-3 days in between to allow my face to heal.

35 1,825
 03-13-2019, 10:11 AM
  • Nero
User Info
I'd probably try AOS unscented cream.
Readily available, excellent performance and no fragrance to worry about.

...Or Coates Tea Tree cream for like $1-$2.

In anyone's situation, it's hard to beat these creams, but especially for sensitive/irritable skin.

88 3,712
 03-13-2019, 10:14 AM
  • Nero
User Info
Definitely, skip ATG.
Do 2 passes WTG.

88 3,712
 03-13-2019, 10:16 AM
User Info
(03-13-2019, 10:14 AM)Nero Wrote: Definitely, skip ATG.
Do 2 passes WTG.

Signs011

58 9,129
 03-13-2019, 12:36 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
certainly go with an unscented soap. 

perhaps you are pressing too hard on your razor trying for BBS when DFS will do. 

or the blade's angle to your skin doesn't let the razor slice hair but instead causes the blade to scrape skin. 

the most helpful advice that was given to me, was to shave with the same hardware and software for a month. 

I don't want to start Nikos off on a tangent but I have to ask, how's your prep?

0 264
 03-14-2019, 04:14 PM
User Info
If several different soaps and creams produce the same result, I'm inclined to say that it's something else.  There are lots of possibilities, but for me the trouble spot on my neck for irritation and ingrowns is much happier with a sharper blade (like a Feather), or a more aggressive razor (like my Timeless 95).  Witch hazel or a witch hazel-based AS also help me a lot, as they're soothing, and also help kill off germs that might cause acne or other skin problems.  Rinsing your razor in alcohol can also help with that.  Of course, an unscented soap might also be something to try if you think it's really a sensitivity to soap ingredients.

0 1,194