03-14-2019, 01:12 PM
User Info
I had little doubt but when I considered the customer friendly price of $8.95 for 3 1/2 ounces I was curious as to how good this soap was going to be. how good would the scent be? How good would it perform? How good would the post shave be? I answered all those questions for myself today with one word... Outstanding! First of all the soap is ridiculously easy to make a lather. Not airy or bubbly but super dense and yogurt like cream with good shine. I used a synthetic brush and it was like a no brainer. I had enough lather for my three pass shave and enough left over for three more if I wanted. Other performance notes are that it's slickness is a very good plus, residual slickness is a very good plus and post shave is superb. The scent is great and since I have a hard time describing scents poetically or identifying the notes I'll say it's an honestly great manly "soapy" scent. Scent strength is a medium plus and I think only the guys that need a scent to smack them in the face will find it less than perfect.

My summary is an excellent soap at an outstanding value. 

ps. The matching bath soap is great as well. Same great scent and a nice creamy lather on this one also. Oh and it's rock hard. Like you you could do some damage with one of these bars if you threw it at something.

1 224
 03-14-2019, 01:44 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
ok then waiting on batch 2

0 482
 03-14-2019, 01:46 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, have been keeping an eye out for people's thoughts on this. Also hope to grab some of batch 2 when its available, and now it sounds like I might have to stock up on bath soaps too for survival in the zombiepocalypse

10 207
 03-14-2019, 02:17 PM
User Info
Thanks for the first review of this new soap.  I passed on the shaving soap because I'm well stocked on soaps now.  However, I did get the bath soap, and will get the shaving soap from the next release.

60 10,553
 03-14-2019, 06:20 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Mine is lost in the mail system, thanks for the review.  I'm hoping with the lanolin etc it will be what Mitchell's never has been for me, with my water and such

73 729
 03-14-2019, 06:42 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Thanks for the teaser. The bomb cyclone has my locality shut down for deliveries but I'm hoping for my puck and bar delivery tomorrow.

68 5,620
 03-15-2019, 09:59 AM
User Info
I think the quality, slickness and ease of lather of this soap is excellent. And the post shave is amongst the best I’ve ever used. The scent, however threw me for a loop. I was expecting something country French, light and soapy in a “lait” sense - kinda like MWF or Haslinger Scafmilch. What I got was instead (to my nose) a cologne-y scent that reminded me of one of those blue-bottled colognes of my teenage youth. Not terrible, but just not what I was expecting. (BTW - CRSW represented nothing that would have molded my expectation of scent - that was all me and my preconception of this soap based on its French-countryside packaging, and my hope that it would be a suitable replacement for the now disco’ed Schafmilch tallow formula - which it most certainly is.) When I finish this puck, I plan to buy another. Although, by that time perhaps I will get lucky and CRSW will make an unscented (or differently scented) version.

57 578
 03-15-2019, 12:05 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-15-2019, 09:59 AM)shaveser Wrote: I was expecting something country French, light and soapy in a “lait” sense - kinda like MWF or Haslinger Scafmilch.  What I got was instead (to my nose) a cologne-y scent that reminded me of one of those blue-bottled colognes of my teenage youth.  

CRSW represented nothing that would have molded my expectation of scent - that was all me and my preconception of this soap based on its French-countryside packaging, and my hope that it would be a suitable replacement for the now disco’ed Schafmilch tallow formula..

Haslinger Schafmilch (tallow formula, now discontinued)  

Cold River Soap Works Schapenmelk
INGREDIENTS
Ingredients:
potassium stearate,
Potassium Stearate,
sodium stearate,
Sodium Stearate,
potassium tallowate,
Potassium Tallowate,
aqua,
Sheep Milk,
lac powder,
Shea Butter,
perfume,
Lanolin,
sheep milk,
Lecithin,
arachis hypogaea,
Glycerin,
lanolin,
Potassium Cocoate,
potassium cocoate,
Sodium Tallowate,
sodium tallowate,
Sodium Cocoate,
sodium cocoate,
Fragrance
glycerine,
potassium hydroxide,
alpha-isomethyl ionone,  
hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclo-hexene,
carboxaldehyde,
CI77891

1 1,455
 03-15-2019, 12:10 PM
User Info
The scent is similar but nicer than MWF and a little stronger and I really like it. I loaded for about twenty seconds, and got a similar effect to Haslinger off the puck with lots of thick proto lather. The post shave was very nice and the skin conditioning is great. All in all, very good stuff.

0 88
 03-15-2019, 12:59 PM
User Info
This sounds like a winner...I just bought two pucks, and two bars! Can’t wait to try it!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 03-15-2019, 01:56 PM
User Info
(03-15-2019, 12:05 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 09:59 AM)shaveser Wrote: I was expecting something country French, light and soapy in a “lait” sense - kinda like MWF or Haslinger Scafmilch.  What I got was instead (to my nose) a cologne-y scent that reminded me of one of those blue-bottled colognes of my teenage youth.  

CRSW represented nothing that would have molded my expectation of scent - that was all me and my preconception of this soap based on its French-countryside packaging, and my hope that it would be a suitable replacement for the now disco’ed Schafmilch tallow formula..

INGREDIENTS
Ingredients:
potassium stearate,
Potassium Stearate,
sodium stearate,
Sodium Stearate,
potassium tallowate,
Potassium Tallowate,
aqua,
Sheep Milk,
lac powder,
Shea Butter,
perfume,
Lanolin,
sheep milk,
Lecithin,
arachis hypogaea,
Glycerin,
lanolin,
Potassium Cocoate,
potassium cocoate,
Sodium Tallowate,
sodium tallowate,
Sodium Cocoate,
sodium cocoate,
Fragrance
glycerine,
potassium hydroxide,
alpha-isomethyl ionone,  
carboxaldehyde,
CI77891
?

57 578
 03-16-2019, 02:11 AM
User Info
(03-15-2019, 01:56 PM)shaveser Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 12:05 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

INGREDIENTS

Ingredients:
potassium stearate,

Potassium Stearate,
sodium stearate,

Sodium Stearate,
potassium tallowate,

Potassium Tallowate,
aqua,

Sheep Milk,
lac powder,

Shea Butter,
perfume,

Lanolin,
sheep milk,

Lecithin,
arachis hypogaea,

Glycerin,
lanolin,

Potassium Cocoate,
potassium cocoate,

Sodium Tallowate,
sodium tallowate,

Sodium Cocoate,
sodium cocoate,

Fragrance
glycerine,
potassium hydroxide,
alpha-isomethyl ionone,  
carboxaldehyde,
CI77891
?

As a chemist I am interested in these final 4: alpha-isomethyl ionone,  hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclo-hexene, carboxaldehyde, CI77891 
As a wet shaver, I think this soap is perfect as is.
I'd guess when straight razors were the only razors, soap was simple.

67 1,982
 03-16-2019, 03:41 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Just picked up 2 pucks of my own. Thanks for the left handed update since CRSW didn't email me that the second batch was in and ready to be shipped.  

they must be busy at work; testing the BG/CRSW celebratory X soap.  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100

No worries because, I got mine! Baaaaa Baaaaa little sheepie.

Next up X marks the calendar.

0 482
 03-16-2019, 03:45 AM
User Info
(03-16-2019, 03:41 AM)RyznRio Wrote: Just picked up 2 pucks of my own. Thanks for the left handed update since CRSW didn't email me that the second batch was in and ready to be shipped.  

they must be busy at work; testing the BG/CRSW celebratory X soap.  Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100

Hmmmmm! I got an email...I wonder if I signed up for the alert when I missed the first release...I don’t remember!

No matter though, we both got plenty to last a good long while!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 03-16-2019, 03:54 AM
User Info
(03-16-2019, 03:41 AM)RyznRio Wrote: Just picked up 2 pucks of my own. Thanks for the left handed update since CRSW didn't email me that the second batch was in and ready to be shipped.  

Check your junk mail folder. That's where my CRSW updates were being sent to. Although how anything with sweet, sweet ewe's milk can be considered junk is beyond me.

0 88
 03-16-2019, 04:01 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-16-2019, 02:11 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: As a chemist I am interested in these final 4: alpha-isomethyl ionone,  hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclo-hexene, carboxaldehyde, CI77891 

Jack, as a chemist, can you inform the rest of us what the presumed functions are of those four ingredients?

1 1,455
 03-16-2019, 04:20 AM
User Info
(03-16-2019, 04:01 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(03-16-2019, 02:11 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: As a chemist I am interested in these final 4: alpha-isomethyl ionone,  hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclo-hexene, carboxaldehyde, CI77891 

Jack, as a chemist, can you inform the rest of us what the presumed functions are of those four ingredients?

Not Jack or a chemist but the first three (alpha-isomethyl ionone, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclo- hexene, carboxaldehyde) are fragrance components and CI77891 is Titanium Dioxide (pigment added for white coloring).

4 1,157
 03-16-2019, 04:43 AM
User Info
Any idea when the bath soap will be restocked?
Would like to order along with the shave soap

33 499
 03-16-2019, 04:58 AM
User Info
Really nice soap, love the scent and a excellent value from a trusted artisan. I think this will become my new daily driver.

0 144
 03-16-2019, 06:56 AM
User Info
Does this soap smell similar to Polo Sport? A blue cologne bottle from some of our youths?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326