03-14-2019, 09:26 PM
User Info
Does anyone have experience with The Superior Shave Zartgefuhl Brush Cleaning Soap, Declaration Grooming Cleaning Soap or the Phoenix Artisan Brush Soap?  Which brush cleaning soap do you prefer and why?

0 8
 03-15-2019, 02:21 AM
User Info
My shave soap keeps my brushes quite clean, never have had the urge to clean a brush.

56 1,264
 03-15-2019, 06:29 AM
User Info
I just do a vinegar rinse once in a while.  I often though of using or even making my own, but it never really seemed worth it to me.  Maybe I rinse out the brushes fine or my water is not all that hard.

0 424
 03-15-2019, 06:30 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
No experience with the ones you mentioned.

To clean or break in a brush (to remove badger stank) I use MWF soap.

177 1,662
 03-15-2019, 06:38 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I use my shampoo (currently Mailn+Goetz).

Brad Sears did a nice post on the care of brushes - vaguely recall in the last year or so.

14 778
 03-15-2019, 08:30 AM
User Info
Ive used the Declaration Grooming brush cleaner. It does work nicely, and very easy to use. Just lightly load, make a lather in your palm, let sit a few minutes, then rinse. EZPZ. That said, I just rinse my brushes well and I haven’t had any buildup. One thing I do, that many may not or may see as an unnecessary extra step, is I use distilled water to soak my brushes before shaving. I just fill a mug with distilled water, microwave it to heat it up, and use that to soak before shaving. I use some of the distilled water to make lather, my water is 17+ grains hardness, are extremely hard! After I’m done shaving, I use tap water to rinse as good as I can rinse, lightly towel dry, then a quick soak again in the distilled water I soaked in before. All of my brushes are buildup free.

I do, however, use the DG brush cleaner if I’m loaning a brush out, or a new purchase either brand new or new to me.

11 571
 03-15-2019, 09:56 AM
User Info
I haven't cleaned my brushes other than when I first purchased them so if I do it again I'd probably do what I did originally which is to do a washing with Dawn dishwashing liquid.

2 246
 03-15-2019, 10:26 AM
User Info
(03-14-2019, 09:26 PM)nonfactor Wrote: Does anyone have experience with The Superior Shave Zartgefuhl Brush Cleaning Soap, Declaration Grooming Cleaning Soap or the Phoenix Artisan Brush Soap?  Which brush cleaning soap do you prefer and why?

What's the difference between a brush cleaning soap and a shave soap ? Or Dawn dish detergent ? Other than price... Undecided

1 1,073
 03-15-2019, 10:32 AM
User Info
(03-15-2019, 10:26 AM)zipper Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 09:26 PM)nonfactor Wrote: Does anyone have experience with The Superior Shave Zartgefuhl Brush Cleaning Soap, Declaration Grooming Cleaning Soap or the Phoenix Artisan Brush Soap?  Which brush cleaning soap do you prefer and why?

What's the difference between a brush cleaning soap and a shave soap ? Or Dawn dish detergent ? Other than price... Undecided

I think the point is that over time shave soap can tend to leave build up, especially near the base of the knot.  So a periodic cleaning with something that would remove some or all of those deposits can revive the effectiveness of any brush.  I'm inclined to clean my brushes all at once since I've never done it since I've been using them.

2 246
 03-15-2019, 10:36 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Those of us that have hard water related build up .. periodic 'deep clean' helps to restore knots as well.

111 19,011
 03-15-2019, 10:37 AM
User Info
(03-15-2019, 10:32 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 10:26 AM)zipper Wrote:

I think the point is that over time shave soap can tend to leave build up, especially near the base of the knot.  So a periodic cleaning with something that would remove some or all of those deposits can revive the effectiveness of any brush.  I'm inclined to clean my brushes all at once since I've never done it since I've been using them.
I just give them a really good rinse every time I use it. Never had a problem, I do have good water too.

1 1,073
 03-15-2019, 12:28 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I fill a mug with a water/vinegar (roughly 10:1) mixture. Soak for 5 minutes and agitate the brush by moving it up and down in the mug. I then rinse in warm water. That's it. It works like a charm. 

If I want to clean all of them. I fill the sink up and add about a cup of vinegar. I then put a few brushes in there to soak. In the sink I brush my hand under water to agitate the brush.

98 1,876
 03-15-2019, 12:36 PM
User Info
To me it doesn't seem necessary to use a second soap to remove the first soap's residue from a brush.  I have hard water in Miami and have never had a problem with soap residue building up in my brushes.  I rinse them exceedingly well after each use, and periodically use Dawn dish detergent and a water/vinegar bath on them.

57 9,035
 03-16-2019, 04:27 AM
User Info
If you purchased a used brush then a water and vinegar wash it all that needed or a new brush just rinse and load up with soap and stand it upright to get the knot to bloom and then rinse the next day but all these so called cleaning soaps for brushes is like snake oil......just not needed, neck I don’t even use a brush stand anymore

7 1,696
 03-16-2019, 04:36 AM
User Info
(03-15-2019, 12:28 PM)Gabe Wrote: I fill a mug with a water/vinegar (roughly 10:1) mixture. Soak for 5 minutes and agitate the brush by moving it up and down in the mug. I then rinse in warm water. That's it. It works like a charm. 

Very sound procedure and my exact method.

4 1,142
 03-16-2019, 04:57 AM
User Info
(03-16-2019, 04:27 AM)Panther308 Wrote: If you purchased a used brush then a water and vinegar wash it all that needed or a new brush just rinse and load up with soap and stand it upright to get the knot to bloom and then rinse the next day but all these so called cleaning soaps for brushes is like snake oil......just not needed, neck I don’t even use a brush stand anymore

To be fair Scott (Declaration Grooming) even says it’s unnecessary. He makes it because people ask him for it.

11 571
 03-16-2019, 08:24 AM
User Info
Was using Williams which seems to leave a soap deposit at the base of the brush regardless of my rinse technique or duration.  

Read up and found a recipe IIRC one tablespoon of Borax in a cup of water for a soak.  That did the trick.  Will try the vinegar soak next.

1 175
 03-16-2019, 01:32 PM
User Info
I use the one from the superior shave and really like it. It’s not expensive and lasts forever.

Shave soaps have all kinds of good stuff in them for your face but aren’t great to leave on brush knots. Soaps designed to clean brushes have ingredients designed to rid the knots of this residue and in my experience do a better job than a vinegar soak or dish soap.

23 265
 03-16-2019, 05:53 PM
User Info
IMO borax would be wonderful but I can only find it in gigantic quantities. So I opt for a vinegar solution of 1 part vinegar to 9 parts Brita-filtered water (because we have hard water here). I don't seem to need it frequently because I soak the brush in clear water after shaving and pump up and down until the water is clear with no trace of soap. Also, I tend to think that non-tallow soaps gunk up less than do tallow soaps -- but no evidence to support that.

17 387
 03-17-2019, 01:48 AM
User Info
I use Borax 12 years ago and my brushes are perfect.

8 1,900