05-30-2019, 07:32 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(03-16-2019, 05:53 PM)slackskin Wrote: IMO borax would be wonderful but I can only find it in gigantic quantities. So I opt for a vinegar solution of 1 part vinegar to 9 parts Brita-filtered water (because we have hard water here). I don't seem to need it frequently because I soak the brush in clear water after shaving and pump up and down until the water is clear with no trace of soap. Also, I tend to think that non-tallow soaps gunk up less than do tallow soaps -- but no evidence to support that.

Borax is great to keep around the house if you have animals. If you ever have a flea infestation, Borax is your friend. Just sprinkle it on the carpet, wait 30 minutes and vacuum it up.

52 20,806
 06-06-2019, 01:56 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
(03-16-2019, 01:32 PM)Manning Wrote: I use the one from the superior shave and really like it. It’s not expensive and lasts forever.

Shave soaps have all kinds of good stuff in them for your face but aren’t great to leave on brush knots. Soaps designed to clean brushes have ingredients designed to rid the knots of this residue and in my experience do a better job than a vinegar soak or dish soap.

+1. 

It's not a necessary thing  - but the Zartgefuhl works better and IMO leaves the brush in better shape than dish soap / vinegar methods - and it's a single step. 
Supposedly it's ph balanced so as to not be harsh on your brushes.

15 170