03-16-2019, 12:50 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
How do you feel about them?

I see there is trend about them the last years from artisans. They even make Seasonals/LE soaps with gourmand scents.

To be honest, I liked some that I tried but long term I hated them, I couldn't shave with them anymore. I passed them to friends. Not a fan for sure. I would take any floral or citrus scent over them.

Some American artisans seem to prefer them, meaning there is a market for them.

59 2,501
 03-17-2019, 09:10 AM
User Info
I like some of them.  I guess one could argue that citrus scents are also gourmand, given than limes, lemons, oranges, and grapefruit can all be eaten.  

I like peach and pear as scents, either alone or in combination with other scents.  Stirling Peach is fantastic.  Not a big fan of berry scents in my shave soaps.

3 1,969
 03-17-2019, 09:31 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Generally I do not care for them as they are typically defined, but like kingfisher, if you extend the definition to things that can be eaten, I’m a bit more flexible.

I also like citrus scents, and Martin de Candre make a bath soap, thyme, cinnamon, and clove that I’d kill for in a shaving soap. Of course ABC cream with the cherry marzipan scent is good.

Cheers, Steve

8 710
 03-17-2019, 09:40 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Not saying that I don't like any of these scents but truth is I get bored of them after a few shaves. I guess samples is a safer way.

59 2,501
 03-17-2019, 09:42 AM
User Info
I generally don't care for food soap scents.  However, one exception is LPL Apricot, which I think is a great scent.

54 8,784
 03-17-2019, 10:03 AM
User Info
I quite like mike’s coconut and Catie’s bubbles Irish Coffee was quite well done.

33 1,767
 03-18-2019, 11:21 AM
User Info
I never thought of fruit based scents as being in the gourmand category before reading this thread, i guess I always just considered them a fruit type of scent which to me would include cirus scents but i've never seen a citrus scent like a lime or orange referred to as gourmand. I've had a few that I would consider gourmand but the only one I have kept is B&M Dickens. If scents like coconut and apricot are gourmand then I also have LPL Abricot, Caties Bubbles Waterlyptus and Abbate Y La Mantia Don Jose which I absolutely love.

5 989
 03-18-2019, 02:54 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Citrus is the only food scent that I can think of that I like.

84 3,592
 03-18-2019, 03:11 PM
User Info
I have to say I love citrus scents.  One of my favorites is TOBS Grapefruit.  But citrus in general is up my alley.  I'm also fond of so-called "barbershop" scents.  So I'm a big fan of Stirling Barbershop, WSP T-Formula Barbershop, TOBS Shave Shop, and Moon Old School.  The other "category" I seem to gravitate to is outdoor or woodsy type scents.  So things like Van Yulay Into the Woods.  But food scents other than citrus just doesn't appeal to me.  Oh, and Sandalwood.  I guess I probably would like any wood type scent.  The one exception seems to be Stirling Coniferous.  That just smells too much like pine sap to me.  I don't get anything other than the sap when I smell it.  It just is too overpowering.  And I had high hopes for it.  Bought a tub without trying a sample first.  Oh well.  I'll probably use it anyway and as I get older and more ornery, my scent glands will deteriorate and I'll begin to love it.

1 199
 03-20-2019, 01:41 PM
User Info
(03-18-2019, 03:11 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I have to say I love citrus scents.  One of my favorites is TOBS Grapefruit.  But citrus in general is up my alley.  I'm also fond of so-called "barbershop" scents.  So I'm a big fan of Stirling Barbershop, WSP T-Formula Barbershop, TOBS Shave Shop, and Moon Old School.  The other "category" I seem to gravitate to is outdoor or woodsy type scents.  So things like Van Yulay Into the Woods.  But food scents other than citrus just doesn't appeal to me.  Oh, and Sandalwood.  I guess I probably would like any wood type scent.  The one exception seems to be Stirling Coniferous.  That just smells too much like pine sap to me.  I don't get anything other than the sap when I smell it.  It just is too overpowering.  And I had high hopes for it.  Bought a tub without trying a sample first.  Oh well.  I'll probably use it anyway and as I get older and more ornery, my scent glands will deteriorate and I'll begin to love it.

Leave it open for about 6 months, like in a closet or the garage, and then try it again.  It will make the scent mellow out a bit and you might find you like it fine.

3 1,969
 03-20-2019, 02:00 PM
User Info
(03-20-2019, 01:41 PM)kingfisher Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 03:11 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I have to say I love citrus scents.  One of my favorites is TOBS Grapefruit.  But citrus in general is up my alley.  I'm also fond of so-called "barbershop" scents.  So I'm a big fan of Stirling Barbershop, WSP T-Formula Barbershop, TOBS Shave Shop, and Moon Old School.  The other "category" I seem to gravitate to is outdoor or woodsy type scents.  So things like Van Yulay Into the Woods.  But food scents other than citrus just doesn't appeal to me.  Oh, and Sandalwood.  I guess I probably would like any wood type scent.  The one exception seems to be Stirling Coniferous.  That just smells too much like pine sap to me.  I don't get anything other than the sap when I smell it.  It just is too overpowering.  And I had high hopes for it.  Bought a tub without trying a sample first.  Oh well.  I'll probably use it anyway and as I get older and more ornery, my scent glands will deteriorate and I'll begin to love it.

Leave it open for about 6 months, like in a closet or the garage, and then try it again.  It will make the scent mellow out a bit and you might find you like it fine.

Good suggestion.  I may just leave it open on the dresser for a while and see if some of the strong sappiness lessens.

1 199
 03-20-2019, 02:50 PM
User Info
I’m not a huge fan of gourmand scents, but as many here have already stated, citrus scents are always a go with me. There is one scent that I do like though, and that’s Mickey Lee Soapworks -The Drunken Goat. It smells just like an oatmeal cookie. I don’t use it every day or anything, but it is nice from time to time
Smile

10 539