09-15-2012, 08:00 PM
User Info
I've just got a quick question about epoxy. Should I mix the two part epoxy inside of the brush handle to set the knot? Do I mix it outside and apply it with something else? What methods are there to applying it? Should I have an epoxy syringe? A brush of some type? I'm trying to get this right on the first go.

0 32
 09-15-2012, 08:09 PM
User Info
Either method will work. If you go the premix & apply route, keep in mind that if you use the 5 minute epoxy, it will start to harden quickly.

9 2,988
 09-16-2012, 10:34 AM
User Info
I've done exactly one brush, but I have used epoxy hundreds of times. I always mix on a piece of cardboard or something similar and mix with a stick of some sort, even a wooden matchstick, the big ones, not the dinky matches.

The one brush I've done I mixed the epoxy exactly the same way as I've mixed it hundreds of times in the past. Then used the mixing stick to make sure every bit of the wood in the hole was covered with epoxy. Then put some in the base of the hole and tried the knot to see where the epoxy would rise to. I had to remove some. I did that twice before I had little enough in the hole so as not to make a mess after the knot was fully in place.

As Lee wrote, you need to work fast. Don't work so fast as to make mistakes, just work efficiently and don't dawdle. If you can find epoxy with a longer set time that will help a bit.

32 6,308
 09-17-2012, 10:39 AM
  • Eskimo
  • Artisan & Custom Shaving Equipment
User Info
As Brian mentioned, be cautious not to overload the epoxy into the recess to the point where it will squeeze out when the knot is set to prevent it from either dripping down the side or matting the hair.

4 286