03-26-2019, 04:24 AM
User Info
On a whim I bought a straight razor at a thrift store today. I had an idea to send it to a pro for honing and thus get a straight razor on the cheap.
But I'm no longer sure that was such a bright plan since I don't really know what I bought. There is some corrosion damage on the blade and a little nick in the edge in one spot.
The width is 17mm back to edge as close as I can measure it, I suppose that makes it slightly wider than 5/8 in inches?

Is this worth fixing or should I just sell it again (and buy a new SR if i feel so inclined)?

EDIT: actually I'm confused about the width: 5/8" = 0.625" = 15.875mm but the Thiers-Issard website claims 5/8 in a razor = 18mm. The same page also claims 4/8 is 16mm which is clearly not the case as 2x16 does not equal 25.4. Are straight razor blades not measured like I think they are?

[Image: 5N1VI5R.jpg]
[Image: csOlSik.jpg]
[Image: 6dOoIQF.jpg]

1 382
 03-26-2019, 06:14 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I have always been fascinated by SRs.

I think I may try an SE first though.

I am sure the SR gents will give you the best advice on what to do with this item.

0 363
 03-26-2019, 06:26 AM
User Info
(03-26-2019, 06:14 AM)RyznRio Wrote: I have always been fascinated by SRs.

I think I may try an SE first though.

I am sure the SR gents will give you the best advice on what to do with this item.

Me too. This was a spur of the moment thing as I spotted the razor and it was so cheap I just went for it. Only later did I consider the consequences. Smile

1 382
 03-26-2019, 08:44 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
Hard to see from the picture, but if that is a chip about 1cm down from the point, and the point is also ragged as it appears, I would venture a guess
that any savings you may have realized may soon be out the window if you stay on this path with this particular razor. 

The flaws will have to be corrected before you can shave with it. 

It probably can be made serviceable by someone with the skills, but the shorter/happier path is probably to replace it with one that doesn't have issues. 

If you're interested in straights, I would try to get one from a veteran SR shaver here - I'd expect lots of these folks have several
they no longer use and would be happy to make shave ready for you for a reasonable cost.  Maybe head on over to the WTB. 

At the very minimum, you will also need a decent strop. 

Good Luck -

15 174
 03-26-2019, 01:27 PM
User Info
(03-26-2019, 08:44 AM)norton Wrote: Hard to see from the picture, but if that is a chip about 1cm down from the point, and the point is also ragged as it appears, I would venture a guess
that any savings you may have realized may soon be out the window if you stay on this path with this particular razor. 

The flaws will have to be corrected before you can shave with it. 

It probably can be made serviceable by someone with the skills, but the shorter/happier path is probably to replace it with one that doesn't have issues. 

If you're interested in straights, I would try to get one from a veteran SR shaver here - I'd expect lots of these folks have several
they no longer use and would be happy to make shave ready for you for a reasonable cost.  Maybe head on over to the WTB. 

At the very minimum, you will also need a decent strop. 

Good Luck -

Yes, there is a tiny chip 15 mm from the point and the point itself is also damaged.
Thanks for the feedback, I take your point. Might be best if I sell it, I'm sure I can get back what I paid (which was 48 SEK ~ just over $5 USD).

1 382
 03-26-2019, 02:01 PM
User Info
Not sure of the maker but it appears to have little hone wear and a smile which is good, if the steel is of good quality it should clean up and hone nicely but since it has a smile it will have to be honed with a rolling x stroke to maintain the current geometry, my suggestion is to put one layer of tape on the spine and do a few strokes on a 1k stone to see the condition of the edge and if it tones evenly across I would keep going on the 1k to gently remove the edge damage and set the bevel then just do a normal stone progression

It would not be cost effective to send out to someone like me as the shipping to and back to you would be pretty pricey so maybe you could find a local person to hone it for you

7 1,744
 03-26-2019, 02:13 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Daniel Peres, good razors.

12 811
 03-26-2019, 02:30 PM
User Info
(03-26-2019, 02:01 PM)Panther308 Wrote: Not sure of the maker but it appears to have little hone wear and a smile which is good, if the steel is of good quality it should clean up and hone nicely but since it has a smile it will have to be honed with a rolling x stroke to maintain the current geometry, my suggestion is to put one layer of tape on the spine and do a few strokes on a 1k stone to see the condition of the edge and if it tones evenly across I would keep going on the 1k to gently remove the edge damage and set the bevel then just do a normal stone progression

It would not be cost effective to send out to someone like me as the shipping to and back to you would be pretty pricey so maybe you could find a local person to hone it for you

Thanks for the info. I'm looking into what a local sharpener can do, but unless they give me a really good deal I think I'll sell it and rethink.

1 382
 03-27-2019, 03:07 AM
User Info
(03-26-2019, 02:30 PM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 02:01 PM)Panther308 Wrote: Not sure of the maker but it appears to have little hone wear and a smile which is good, if the steel is of good quality it should clean up and hone nicely but since it has a smile it will have to be honed with a rolling x stroke to maintain the current geometry, my suggestion is to put one layer of tape on the spine and do a few strokes on a 1k stone to see the condition of the edge and if it tones evenly across I would keep going on the 1k to gently remove the edge damage and set the bevel then just do a normal stone progression

Thanks for the info. I'm looking into what a local sharpener can do, but unless they give me a really good deal I think I'll sell it and rethink.

Like I said cost wise it might be to much but if you want you can go to local post get a price on shipping it to me here in Katy Tx and get the cheapest possible rate you can for round trip cost and I will hone it for free to make it more affordable but I’m not sure what that cost would be.

7 1,744
 03-27-2019, 03:23 AM
User Info
(03-27-2019, 03:07 AM)Panther308 Wrote: Like I said cost wise it might be to much but if you want you can go to local post get a price on shipping it to me here in Katy Tx and get the cheapest possible rate you can for round trip cost and I will hone it for free to make it more affordable but I’m not sure what that cost would be.

Thank you kindly, that is very generous of you. Unfortunately I suspect that the shipping would be more than a usable razor would cost locally, especially as I'd have to pay VAT and customs on the return trip (yes, crazy as that must sound, I am liable to pay VAT and customs on used items sent from private individuals outside the EU, even if the item is mine in the first place). I'll ponder this but I suspect the most sensible thing to do is to sell the razor and start over.

Steve

1 382
 03-27-2019, 04:01 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
In a box frame this would make a lovely decoration for your den. I've seen such a display with a patent application drawing for an SR as the background.

when impulsive buying brings you lemons... Hmm

0 363
 03-27-2019, 06:02 AM
User Info
D. Peres is a really,really good maker. Worth seeking out someone in the EU to see what they could do for you within your budget and if it's worth. May just need a hone and some metal polish. The small chipping at the point is an easy fix and can usually be done during honing

3 853
 03-27-2019, 09:55 AM
User Info
(03-27-2019, 06:02 AM)SteelTown Wrote: D. Peres is a really,really good maker. Worth seeking out someone in the EU to see what they could do for you within your budget and if it's worth. May just need a hone and some metal polish. The small chipping at the point is an easy fix and can usually be done during honing

Thank you for the info. I thought I'd start with by visiting a local sharpening shop who claim to be used to sharpening razors for barbers and veterinarians and hear what they have to say about it.

1 382
 03-30-2019, 06:52 PM
User Info
It doesn't look that bad to me.  Everything could be fixed in a honing.  I live in the USA, but used to know at least two people in Sweden who hone and are on theshavingroom.co.uk site.   Check there, if your local shop can't do it.  If they sharpen for barbers, they should be able to do it.

21 1,928
 03-31-2019, 02:36 PM
User Info
(03-30-2019, 06:52 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: It doesn't look that bad to me.  Everything could be fixed in a honing.  I live in the USA, but used to know at least two people in Sweden who hone and are on theshavingroom.co.uk site.   Check there, if your local shop can't do it.  If they sharpen for barbers, they should be able to do it.

Thanks for your input. It turned out that the local firm have stopped sharpening razors, but I found another company in the country doing honing/repairs and I requested a price quote to fix up the razor. 
I'll see what they say, it might end up being more than it would cost to get another razor in a better shape, then again,  suppose such a razor might still need honing. Thanks for the tip, if all else fails I'll ask at theshavingroom.

1 382
 04-02-2019, 11:46 AM
User Info
That's really a nice-looking starter razor, in my opinion, if somebody could hone it to shave ready and take care of that little chip near the tip.

3 2,007
 04-07-2019, 06:54 AM
User Info
(04-02-2019, 11:46 AM)kingfisher Wrote: That's really a nice-looking starter razor, in my opinion, if somebody could hone it to shave ready and take care of that little chip near the tip.

Thanks for the input. Next week I'll be sending it off to a company who promised to fix the damages, hone it and strop it to shave ready.
It will be a bit of a test to see if they do a good job. If I get going using straights, a reliable local sharpener will come in handy.

1 382
 04-16-2019, 03:14 AM
User Info
Razor came back from the sharpener! It is now supposedly shave-ready. 
If any of you experienced guys would care to comment on the job they did, I'd be grateful. I need to decide if I can use these guys in the future.
(To me it looks as if they'd been a bit hard on the back of the razor, but then again what do I know about honing.)

[Image: GSEFGwe.jpg][Image: QtbBgjr.jpg][Image: 9b2KonF.jpg][Image: 20rxfIr.jpg][Image: cYnDQ16.jpg]

1 382
 04-16-2019, 06:24 AM
User Info
(04-16-2019, 03:14 AM)RazorSteve Wrote: Razor came back from the sharpener! It is now supposedly shave-ready. 
If any of you experienced guys would care to comment on the job they did, I'd be grateful. I need to decide if I can use these guys in the future.
(To me it looks as if they'd been a bit hard on the back of the razor, but then again what do I know about honing.)

[Image: GSEFGwe.jpg][Image: QtbBgjr.jpg][Image: 9b2KonF.jpg][Image: 20rxfIr.jpg][Image: cYnDQ16.jpg]
You don't have to be an expert to see that they did not tape the spine. It also looks like to my eyes, from this picture, that the edge now has a wave. I hope that I am wrong and that the picture is deceiving. I got started with straights by acquiring a well-used, but well-honed Wade & Butcher from a Forum member. There are many great and generous straight shavers out there, who would be very happy to get you set up right without breaking the bank. Good Luck.

75 5,676
 04-16-2019, 06:51 AM
User Info
I concur with Primo, that job does not look professional!

0 165