04-16-2019, 11:49 AM
User Info
Thanks Primo and Rohleder.
I was already disappointed and you confirmed my impressions. 

Regarding taping the spine: as I understand it (correct me if I am wrong), not everyone tapes the spine, but a good honer is supposed to be able to not damage the spine (this much, anyway) even if they do not tape it? Or did I misunderstand?

It's hard to take a good picture of the edge due to the reflections in the blade and the wide angle of the phone camera's lens, but while the edge does not exactly look like a wave to me, it does look a bit as if it has two shoulders. This is difficult to explain: rather than the smooth smile that it originally had the edge now almost has three angles. Not sure if that makes sense.

Here are two more pictures:
[Image: VJ7RWNX.jpg]

[Image: 922mrVB.jpg]

1 265
 04-16-2019, 05:21 PM
User Info
It's hard to tell from the photos, but the razor appears to show significant wear on the spine, and a wave on the edge,  which were not present when you sent it out.  To me it looks like it could be the work of someone who ruins kitchen knives with a power belt grinder.

58 9,207
 04-16-2019, 11:31 PM
User Info
(04-16-2019, 05:21 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: It's hard to tell from the photos, but the razor appears to show significant wear on the spine, and a wave on the edge,  which were not present when you sent it out.  To me it looks like it could be the work of someone who ruins kitchen knives with a power belt grinder.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about the pictures, it's difficult to get a good angle for the reflections.
Yeah, I will not use this company again and I intent to complain, not that it's likely to do any good.
Even though I was not expecting a perfect job I did expect it to be competently done but this does not feel like it.

1 265
 04-17-2019, 02:18 AM
User Info
(04-16-2019, 11:49 AM)RazorSteve Wrote: Thanks Primo and Rohleder.
I was already disappointed and you confirmed my impressions. 

Regarding taping the spine: as I understand it (correct me if I am wrong), not everyone tapes the spine, but a good honer is supposed to be able to not damage the spine (this much, anyway) even if they do not tape it? Or did I misunderstand?

It's hard to take a good picture of the edge due to the reflections in the blade and the wide angle of the phone camera's lens, but while the edge does not exactly look like a wave to me, it does look a bit as if it has two shoulders. This is difficult to explain: rather than the smooth smile that it originally had the edge now almost has three angles. Not sure if that makes sense.

Here are two more pictures:
[Image: VJ7RWNX.jpg]

[Image: 922mrVB.jpg]
You are absolutely correct.

70 5,383
 04-17-2019, 02:27 AM
User Info
(04-17-2019, 02:18 AM)primotenore Wrote: You are absolutely correct.

I hate being right. So is this thing possible to shave with or would it be risky?

1 265
 04-17-2019, 02:35 AM
User Info
(04-17-2019, 02:27 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 02:18 AM)primotenore Wrote: You are absolutely correct.

I hate being right. So is this thing possible to shave with or would it be risky?
You can also shave with a machete, but why would you? I would move on. Go on Ebay and get yourself an inexpensive Gold Dollar. Have it PROFESSIONALLY honed and then start your straight razor journey. 

70 5,383
 04-17-2019, 04:25 AM
User Info
Too bad that was a nice razor. Looks like they used power equipment. It's safe to shave with ..the quality of the shave only you will be able to tell. It may shave great

3 850
 04-17-2019, 05:50 AM
User Info
(04-17-2019, 04:25 AM)SteelTown Wrote: Too bad that was a nice razor. Looks like they used power equipment. It's safe to shave with ..the quality of the shave only you will be able to tell. It may shave great

You think they might have used power equipment? The reason I decided to try this company is that they specifically stated that they "hand honed" razors (of course, I suppose in a very liberal interpretation it can be considered "by hand" if the hand presses the razor against a power tool :/ )

1 265
 04-17-2019, 07:47 AM
User Info
I always recommend sourcing a vintage (yet shave ready) Sheffield, Solingen or Thiers straight from the forum classifieds. Perhaps put a wanted advert up? There are plenty out there. Should you find straight shaving is not to your taste you will be able to sell it on for virtually the same price you paid, perhaps knock £10 off if you have dulled it... There's very little to lose financially if you choose this route and no risk of being left with a worthless letter opener like your poor Peres.

0 101
 04-17-2019, 07:50 AM
User Info
(04-17-2019, 07:47 AM)Rohleder Wrote: I always recommend sourcing a vintage (yet shave ready) Sheffield, Solingen or Thiers straight from the forum classifieds. Perhaps put a wanted advert up? There are plenty out there. Should you find straight shaving is not to your taste you will be able to sell it on for virtually the same price you paid, perhaps knock £10 off if you have dulled it... There's very little to lose financially if you choose this route and no risk of being left with a worthless letter opener like your poor Peres.

Yes, I'm sure that would have been the smart thing to do from the start. This was a chain of events where each step seemed to make sense at the time but the end result being less than stellar.

1 265
 04-17-2019, 08:11 AM
User Info
(04-17-2019, 07:50 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 07:47 AM)Rohleder Wrote: I always recommend sourcing a vintage (yet shave ready) Sheffield, Solingen or Thiers straight from the forum classifieds. Perhaps put a wanted advert up? There are plenty out there. Should you find straight shaving is not to your taste you will be able to sell it on for virtually the same price you paid, perhaps knock £10 off if you have dulled it... There's very little to lose financially if you choose this route and no risk of being left with a worthless letter opener like your poor Peres.

Yes, I'm sure that would have been the smart thing to do from the start. This was a chain of events where each step seemed to make sense at the time but the end result being less than stellar.

Always the way, I've done similar things myself... Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say  Rolleyes

I do know Konstantinos (N_Architect) has a lovely condition Boker straight razor for sale, he cannot guarantee shave ready but I've bought 2 from him and they have arrived laser sharp, he is asking the unbelievably good price of £35 delivered.

*I'm unfamiliar with this forums rules regarding recommending sellers etc so if verboten please edit this post mods.

0 101