03-26-2019, 07:34 AM
User Info
Hi,
     I was thinking of trying a Single Edge razor for the first time, but I heard that Double Edge razor's are easier to keep clean. So, I think I'll stick with the DE razor concept for a while longer yet. However, I think I'd like to try a different model from the one I have been using for a few years now which is a Merkur 34C. I was thinking possibly:

1) an adjustable razor, since I only shave every 2, 3 or 4 days to allow my skin to heal, (which causes my beard to grow out some too, presenting longer hair growth for my razor to tackle later, hence the need for an adjustable razor).

2) a milder, gentler, less aggressive shaving razor than my Merkur 34C, which I think might be on the aggressive end of the spectrum.

So, I could use some suggestions on a vintage or modern model I might look for to try out.

Thanks for any help

0 113
 03-26-2019, 08:05 AM
User Info
In vintage razors,  I have found the Gillette 40's style Super Speeds to be mild shavers.

58 9,132
 03-26-2019, 08:08 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
The Blackland Vector is very mild for a single edge.  I like mid aggressive razors, but find myself using the Vector quite often even though it takes more passes to get bbs.  I've had no issues keeping it clean.  The Rex Supply adjustable is a good option if you would like an adjustable.  It dials down to a very mild setting.  I like that the head geometry allows for the blade tabs to be hidden, but without sacrificing the width of the cutting edge.  Great razor for getting the hard to reach spots for me, especially under my nose.  Beyond those I think there are several vintage options, most notably the Gillette Tech.  Good luck with your search!!

67 769
 03-26-2019, 08:10 AM
User Info
Regaarding the "keeping clean" aspect; that depends very much on what kind of SE you think about. The Schick Injector with the hydromagic lever for instance is really easy to rinse after shaving, and none of my GEM razors are hard to keep clean.

I would personally go for a non-adjustable, but I got twenty odd razors in my rotation so I can change aggressiveness by switching razors Tongue

I find the Gillette Super Speed to be quite mild, same as the Gillette Old. For single edge, consider a GEM Micromatic of one of the aforementioned Schick Injectors (Nikos have a couple NOS on offer in the BST)

3 6,349
 03-26-2019, 08:19 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I prefer a mild razor as well. 

I have the Rockwell 6C. It is not so much adjustable as it is changeable. it comes with 3 plates which can be flipped giving you 6 settings. I paid $45 shipped on ebay. There is a 6S SS model that retails at $100 but used razors are hitting the ebay resale market. 

the Gillette tech head is a good mild vintage razor. get a travel tech and buy a SS maggard or other similar handle. Weber SS handles (discontinued) are selling for $10 on ebay. the travel techs are usually NOS pristine to hardly used and under $20shipped with a case. 

the Gillette slim adjustable will run you $20 - $50 on ebay. generally the diff in price is based on condition but look closely at the pics to determine wear. if you really like the Gillette vintage market (MILD) but want a new razor you can have the vintage made new again by razor emporium or start with one of their reconditioned razors.

0 264
 03-26-2019, 09:26 AM
User Info
The mildest razors I have used are the Gillette Superspeeds and the Feather AS-D2. Feather AS-D2s can be purchased in mint condition for 100-115, and the Gillette Superspeeds in mint condition for under 50 bucks.

A step up in aggression, but still providing a very nice shave would be a 46-47 Gillette Aristocrat.

Also, when talking about mild razors, an important piece of the conversation is the mildness of the blade. The most reliable and mild blades I have used are the Voskhod razor blades.

Disclaimer: I am a chicken nugget!

Vr

Matt

21 1,238
 03-26-2019, 09:41 AM
User Info
I'll second the Gillette Slim Adjustable.  As for modern razors, an inexpensive option is Razorock's Old Type.  It's an open comb but is not an aggressive razor at all.  It's quite mild actually.  Pair it with a nice sharp blade like a Gillette Silver Blue and it will give you smooth efficient shaves.

2 269
 03-26-2019, 10:42 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Gillette SS or Tech.

14 3,480
 03-26-2019, 08:27 PM
User Info
Punchy: what am I missing here?  I know the YMMV thing is real and I have no doubt that your years of using the Murkur 34C would let you know if it's aggressive or not, but by most standards the 34C is far from aggressive.  Thus might there be another issue worthy of investigating? You mention having to give your skin a break between shaves.  That makes it seem that you may deal with significant irritation. Help us understand the issues you are trying to aleviate and perhaps we can give better opinions.

6 425
 03-26-2019, 08:41 PM
User Info
(03-26-2019, 08:27 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Punchy: what am I missing here?  I know the YMMV thing is real and I have no doubt that your years of using the Murkur 34C would let you know if it's aggressive or not, but by most standards the 34C is far from aggressive.  Thus might there be another issue worthy of investigating? You mention having to give your skin a break between shaves.  That makes it seem that you may deal with significant irritation. Help us understand the issues you are trying to aleviate and perhaps we can give better opinions.

So true.  The best response thus far.  I have the Merkur 34C HD and it is not an aggressive razor.  There could be so many things other than the razor that could be the issue.  Technique (including angle and pressure).  Soap. Prep.  Overall skin sensitivity.  Blades.  Number, direction and order of passes.   Beard mapping.  More info would help greatly.

2 269
 03-27-2019, 04:10 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(03-26-2019, 08:27 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Punchy: what am I missing here?  I know the YMMV thing is real and I have no doubt that your years of using the Murkur 34C would let you know if it's aggressive or not, but by most standards the 34C is far from aggressive.  Thus might there be another issue worthy of investigating? You mention having to give your skin a break between shaves.  That makes it seem that you may deal with significant irritation. Help us understand the issues you are trying to aleviate and perhaps we can give better opinions.

indeed there seems to be something missing from punchy's description of the problem. great catch by lipripper60!  Bow

0 264
 03-27-2019, 04:58 AM
User Info
(03-26-2019, 08:10 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Regaarding the "keeping clean" aspect; that depends very much on what kind of SE you think about. The Schick Injector with the hydromagic lever for instance is really easy to rinse after shaving, and none of my GEM razors are hard to keep clean.

Agreed. Also very easy to shave with. I have a type I2 and it feels like a cart razor compared to my DE razors. It's just really easy to hit the right angle.

1 265
 03-27-2019, 06:10 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Needing to shave every other day because of sensitive skin in not unusual - needing to wait 3-4  days is unusual.  Technique or dull blades could be a factor.  If you have been shaving for a few years, your technique may have become "mechanical" and not concentrating on proper technique including no pressure.

Interesting to find out if sensitive skin started with the DE shaving or life long issue.

For razors, Above the Tie razors have multiple options for heads and metal.  Their aluminum razor may be a good option.  Occam's O.R.E.N. SE razor has 3 head options and light weight.

14 789
 03-27-2019, 07:50 AM
User Info
I think it's your soap/soaps.....Soap, soap, soap.... Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100 What are you using?...... Cheers

1 1,073
 03-27-2019, 08:34 AM
User Info
Not sure what your price range is (sorry if I missed that) but the PIL 101NL or 101NE is a solid mild DE razor...

12 95
 03-28-2019, 08:14 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
+1 on the Pils razor.  Mild and still fairly good at a few days growth.

14 789
 03-28-2019, 08:17 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Worcester
User Info
(03-26-2019, 08:05 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: In vintage razors,  I have found the Gillette 40's style Super Speeds to be mild shavers.
+1, with the Blue Tip being especially mild and comfortable

39 1,888
 03-28-2019, 11:14 AM
User Info
For me, the RazoRock Baby Smooth is very mild and very effective. I recommend it. Only $40 so not super expensive.

17 388