03-26-2019, 12:26 PM
User Info
Good evening shavers!

I'm Luke, new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself. So here I am! Look forward to meeting you all.

I thought I'd first contribute by posting a thread I haven't seen on here yet... shaving soaps! What are your favourite scents that you've come across?

I'll kick us off with Orange and Sandalwood Smile

Luke

0 5
 03-26-2019, 01:35 PM
User Info
One of the challenges in answering this question is that soap brands labeled with a given scent don't smell the same.  For example, I find that the best examples of Sandalwood are Cold River Soap Works and JabonMan.  Those two soaps have quite different scents.  Moreover, over the years, I've tried other Sandalwood soaps which I have not liked at all.  Thus, it's a tough question to answer without specifying a particular brand.  However, it's a good question and the answers will be interesting.

57 9,045
 03-26-2019, 02:59 PM
User Info
Wow, so many but here are the first that come to mind for me:

Nuavia - Rossa
CRSW - Bergamot & Bay
Eufros - Fougere
Declaration Grooming - Trismegistus
Noble Otter - Noir et Vanille
Eleven - Cedar, Vetiver & Sweetgrass (Bosco)
Shannon Soaps - Woodlands & Woodland Frost
Wholly Kaw - Fougere Parfait

EDIT - Sorry I didn't realize the OP was looking for specific scents

5 1,009
 03-26-2019, 03:01 PM
User Info
(03-26-2019, 01:35 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: One of the challenges in answering this question is that soap brands labeled with a given scent don't smell the same.  For example, I find that the best examples of Sandalwood are Cold River Soap Works and JabonMan.  Those two soaps have quite different scents.  Moreover, over the years, I've tried other Sandalwood soaps which I have not liked at all.  Thus, it's a tough question to answer without specifying a particular brand.  However, it's a good question and the answers will be interesting.

Those are the two best Sandalwood scents I know of as well and they are both quite different but both very very good scents

5 1,009
 03-26-2019, 03:03 PM
User Info
(03-26-2019, 02:59 PM)Oasisdave Wrote: Wow, so many but here are the first that come to mind for me:

Nuavia - Rossa
CRSW - Bergamot & Bay
Eufros - Fougere
Declaration Grooming - Trismegistus
Noble Otter - Noir et Vanille
Eleven - Cedar, Vetiver & Sweetgrass (Bosco)
Shannon Soaps - Woodlands & Woodland Frost
Wholly Kaw - Fougere Parfait

That's good company to be in.  Thanks, Dave!

Welcome to TSN, Luke!

0 1,194
 03-27-2019, 03:04 AM
User Info
(03-26-2019, 01:35 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: One of the challenges in answering this question is that soap brands labeled with a given scent don't smell the same.  For example, I find that the best examples of Sandalwood are Cold River Soap Works and JabonMan.  Those two soaps have quite different scents.  Moreover, over the years, I've tried other Sandalwood soaps which I have not liked at all.  Thus, it's a tough question to answer without specifying a particular brand.  However, it's a good question and the answers will be interesting.

I agree with TheLegalRazor and full disclosure: I am an SSAD sufferer. 
I've bought and tried at least 100 soaps. To quote the Grateful Dead: One man gathers what another man spills.
These 6 are the survivors:
CRSW Winter
CRSW Olfactory Hue
CRSW Barbershop
CRSW Barbiere Sapone
CRSW Fragile Confusion
Barrister & Mann Seville

62 1,457
 03-27-2019, 04:38 AM
User Info
A few that immediately come to mind are:

- DR Harris Windsor
- Penhaligons Sartorial
- Martin De Candre Veitver
- Eufros Dama De Noche
- Eufros Rosa Oud

Those two Eufros soaps have intoxicating fragrances, and the top three are sophisticated, refined, and masculine scents!

Vr

Matt

PS I almost forgot Mystic Water Marrakesh...the smell of the desert after a downpour resonates with me.

21 1,133
 03-27-2019, 07:47 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN, Luke!

My favorites (in no particular order) are:

Barrister and Mann Beaudelaire
Eufros Rosa Bourbon (slight not over Rosa Oud)
Martin de Candre Fougere
Declaration Grooming Trismegistus
The Club Signature
Czech & Speake No. 88
Mickey Lee Soapworks Grand Havana
Siliski Soaps Midnight in Tunisia
Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic

I will cut it off there but could easily expand it.  Artisans like Cold River Soap Works, WhollyKaw, Noble Otter, etc are well deserved of spots on there, but they have a high quality of scents among many in their repertoire and one does not stand out to me as much.

6 146
 03-27-2019, 08:29 AM
User Info
Not many I must say... Fussy git I am  Biggrin

Those I consider iconic:

Taylor of Old Bond St. Sandalwood - My first, thus always remembered fondly Wink
Mitchell's Wool Fat - Smells of old England, difficult to explain but it gives me a feeling of anemoia.
Speick tallow stick - My favourite herbal lavender scent.
Phoenix & Beau Spitfire - Everything it promised to be.
Phoenix & Beau Albion - My Father used to sell essential oils back in the 90's, this soaps scent is almost an exact replica of the smell of his "workshop" - One sniff and I'm 10 years old again.

0 94
 03-27-2019, 10:36 AM
User Info
For scent alone:

MdC Fougere in a landslide (IMO)

18 673
 03-27-2019, 11:08 AM
User Info
I'm a sucker for sandalwood.  Not saying I don't like others because my cabinets prove otherwise but if I had to neck it down to just one scent it'd be Sandalwood and of the sandalwoods I've tried, AOS sandalwood is the best to my nose.

6 409
 03-27-2019, 11:42 AM
  • Nero
User Info
No particular order:

MdC Fougere
MdC Vetiver

AoS Sandalwood (best sandalwood, the cream...not the tallow soap)
AoS Rose Absolute
AoS Ocean Kelp

B&M Seville
B&M Spice
B&M Cool
B&M Classic
B&M Fougere Gothique

RR Essential Oil of Lavender (best pure lavender)
RR Saturnia

TFS Assoluto 72 Primavere

PAA Cold Spices
PAA The Beach (in summer only)
PAA Planet 9

Abbate y La Mantia Don Jose (in summer only)

PantaRei Ibla

AdP Colonia

Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil (I think this is what the breeze smells like in heaven... the soap, not the cream)
Crabtree & Evelyn Mysore Sandalwood (it is beyond comprehension that we can still find these brand new, when they haven't been made since 1978)
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna

85 3,688
 03-27-2019, 12:51 PM
User Info
Dr. Jon's Savannah Sunrise is one of the nicest scents ever, for me.  I love peaches, and I like floral scents.  This one combines peach, honeysuckle, orange blossom, and a couple of other notes into a gorgeous harmonious scent.

3 1,988
 03-27-2019, 12:54 PM
User Info
(03-27-2019, 11:08 AM)Lipripper60 Wrote: I'm a sucker for sandalwood.  Not saying I don't like others because my cabinets prove otherwise but if I had to neck it down to just one scent it'd be Sandalwood and of the sandalwoods I've tried, AOS sandalwood is the best to my nose.

You really must try CRSW Sandalwood. One of my all time favorite scents.

SV Felce Aromatica
MdC Fougere
Eufros Rosa Oud
Eufros Dama De Noche
CRSW Sandalwood
CRSW Olfactory Hue
CRSW Schapenmelk

Of all the artisans CRSW has the most consistently good - great scents across the board along with Jabonman especially his Eufros collection.

0 243
 03-27-2019, 04:01 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
It’s generally acknowledged that I’m essentially an unscented kind of shaver. Most scented soaps don’t agree with me/we. That said, there are a few that I do enjoy using from time to time. In no particular order they are LPL Oud-Santal, ASW Old Virginia and Royal Fougere, B&M Reserve Fern, Diamond and Oceana, and AoS Sandalwood round out my faves. Interestingly, the AoS sandalwood tends to dry my skin way more than any of the other mentions. The scent is quite nice though. I don’t have similar issues with AoS or Valobra unscented soaps. Finally, I have a soft spot for the smell of Proraso red, as it was one of my first soaps. These days though I only get it from the P-red pre/post moisturizer cream which smells exactly the same as the soap and cream, btw. Doesn’t really “do” anything, but I like how it smells.

13 3,418
 03-27-2019, 06:15 PM
User Info
I'm finding that after trying well over 50 soaps and creams, my top favorites tend to be what are typically called "barbershop" scents.  So the ones I've tried and will always remain in my den are as follows:

Stirling Barbershop - love the vanilla and powdery scent
WSP T-Formula Barbershop - I much prefer the tallow base over their Rustic base.  
Moon Soaps Old School - A new addition and has quickly become a favorite.
The Fat 'As - 1:1 combo of Mitchell's Wool Fat and Haslinger Schafmilch.  I dislike the scent of each alone but love the scent of them combined.  I'm weird.

I would have WCS Gatsby No. 1 on the list but it's not been available since last year and it seems PAA and WCS have gone their separate ways.  So no idea if we'll ever see it again.

That's it as far as soaps go.  If we add some creams into the mix I'd say TOBS Sandalwood is a top favorite scent of mine as is TOBS Eton College.

2 251
 03-28-2019, 03:28 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I really enjoy citrus and lavender notes.

I'd like to add that I haven't smelled more refined scents than the Nuavias.

60 2,593
 03-28-2019, 05:23 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Mystic Water Adirondack Jack

17 555
 03-28-2019, 05:40 AM
User Info
CRSW Schapenmelk

0 139
 03-28-2019, 06:05 AM