03-29-2019, 07:49 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
A week or two ago, Matt C. (Nero) mentioned in a post that he’d never tried Permasharp blades. I had a few tucks in my drawer courtesy of Phil H. who included them as extras with various orders. Being a creature of habit, I left them in the drawer, figuring I’d get to them eventually, but never did. So I sent Matt a PM and offered to share my stash with him. Matt graciously accepted the offer, and by return mail sent me a couple of tucks of Gillette Platinums (his go-to) for me to try. We agreed to do some test shaves and post our impressions. After I use up a whole tuck of the Permasharps I will try out the Platinums.

Matt PMd me and asked what I thought of the Permasharps. My reply sounded like a review, so for convenience I will copy and paste it here...

I enjoyed my Permasharp shave. It was smooth not tuggy. Did my typical evening-before-work, 2+ passes and got a clean, basically BBS shave, except for the lower neck area where I never ever go ATG. Now nine hours later I’m still clean enough (DFS-ish) to go to school and look like I shaved. Btw, the blade was loaded in an iKon B1 OSS head on an Rx handle, one of my favorite combos.

The Permasharp was as good as any other blade, better than some - I’ve tried well over a dozen brands. My frame of reference for preference is the Personna family, having settled on a regular rotation of Reds, Med Preps, Lab blues and Crystals. The Permasharp had seemingly less wax than GSBs. I liked the Permasharp shave more than a GSB shave which tends to leave me feeling more “raw.” Based on shave 1, I anticipate getting my usual 2-3 uses before tossing.

I’ll post again with other impressions after I’ve used the Permasharps for a week or so.

Good trade, Matt. Thanks for suggesting it.

13 3,386
 03-30-2019, 04:50 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Thanks Charlie for starting the thread.

I was pretty happy with my first use with the Permasharp.

The first few strokes I was worried I wasn't going to finish the shave with the blade - and I don't know why it changed - but became very comfortable and finished with very good results and no irritation or anything like that.

Will be interesting if I can get 4 good shaves with it (which is what I get with comfort with Gillette Platinum)... as well as if the next Permasharp blade feels questionable on the first few strokes (for me).

That's all for now.

84 3,645
 03-30-2019, 07:22 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I had the same experience the first time I used Kais. The first three strokes were questionable but then it just changed and settled down into a good shave.

This Permasharp was pretty mellow right from the start. I palm stropped each edge 4 swipes. In retrospect there was a touch more irritation on my neck the next morning than is customary for me. Shave 2 will be interesting. I shaved Thursday night for work on Friday. Friday night is always a no shave night, because my face rebounds great for a slow, comfortable, late Saturday morning shave. But this morning after the gym we stopped at the grocery store and by the time we got home it was 2 in the afternoon and naturally we had to eat lunch. By that time I figured, wth, at this point I may as well wait until my Sunday night shave. Mega growth. I already look like a bum, and there’s still 24 hours until my next shave. We’ll see if the Permasharp is up to the challenge. I’ll do shave 2 with the same iKon/Rx combo. Unless I change my mind and switch to the black oxide Evolution. I like that razor for extra tough beard growth. We shall see...

13 3,386
 04-01-2019, 05:07 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
How’s it going for you Matt?

Last night’s shave was great. As I figured, my beard was prime for mowing down with the black oxide Asylum Evolution. 2 passes and a little buffing, and I was still DFS this morning when I got to work. I’m going to use the blade once more this evening, back in the iKon B1OSS. Based on how we ended things yesterday, tonight’s shave should be okay with this blade/razor setup. Tossing it after tonight, regardless. Here I go....

13 3,386
 04-02-2019, 10:09 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I was diligent. 16 hours later, I’m still looking pretty clean. My skin feels okay now, but last night the alum was sting-y; and it does not usually feel that way. During the shave I felt it would sting a bit as the blade felt more than a little tuggy going ATG, and the Evolution excels at the ATG pass! Anyway, tonight will feature a fresh blade. Which razor though? Hmmm...

13 3,386
 04-06-2019, 04:53 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
The last two shaves were with my GC .68. Sad Being that the GC has always worked great with every blade I’ve used it with, I was a bit surprised as this was the first blade I have tried in that razor that was less than stellar. Today, a fresh blade and my Gillette NEW.

13 3,386
 04-06-2019, 01:50 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Today I got my 4th shave out of the blade. I've been on a weird cycle... 3 of my 4 shaves have been on two-days growth. Usually I shave every day.
Anyway, the shave itself was very very good. Comfortable and it even has a zipping sound as it glides right through.
After, there is a hint of irritation that I don't normally see with my preferred blades.
But this blade has been good enough to warrant further exploration.
I'd probably put them as my third best blade, based on this first sample.

84 3,645
 04-06-2019, 06:51 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-06-2019, 01:50 PM)Nero Wrote: Today I got my 4th shave out of the blade. I've been on a weird cycle... 3 of my 4 shaves have been on two-days growth. Usually I shave every day.
Anyway, the shave itself was very very good. Comfortable and it even has a zipping sound as it glides right through.
After, there is a hint of irritation that I don't normally see with my preferred blades.
But this blade has been good enough to warrant further exploration.
I'd probably put them as my third best blade, based on this first sample.

I’m not ready to make a definitive statement, but so far (3 blades used) they’re feeling harsher than my Personna blades.

13 3,386
 04-06-2019, 07:50 PM
  • Nero
User Info
How many shaves per blade for you, Charlie?

84 3,645
 04-08-2019, 07:45 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Did two shaves each with blades 1,3 and 4. Blade 2 I stretched to three shaves but it left me feeling irritated, so I went back to tossing them after the second shave.

What about you, Matt? Still pushing for max shaves per blade?

13 3,386
 04-08-2019, 10:04 AM
  • Nero
User Info
Charlie, I will reduce to 3 shaves for the next blade.
Going to take a hiatus and go back to GPs for one blade, and then return to the Permasharp.
This way I should be starting from a clean slate.

84 3,645
 04-08-2019, 03:53 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-08-2019, 10:04 AM)Nero Wrote: Charlie, I will reduce to 3 shaves for the next blade.
Going to take a hiatus and go back to GPs for one blade, and then return to the Permasharp.
This way I should be starting from a clean slate.

Yep, I was thinking about going on a run of IPs for a few shaves after the fifth Permasharp is kaput. Then after the IPs I’ll work through a tuck of the GPs to get a fresh perspective. Will post back here in a week or so. See ya!

13 3,386
 04-14-2019, 09:02 PM
  • Nero
User Info
First shave on my second Permasharp blade was very good. Nothing to report: perfect, in my book.

84 3,645
 04-15-2019, 07:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’ve switched back to my IPs for a while. They’re so much smoother and more comfortable for me compared to the Permasharps, or any of the other Russian blades I’ve tried. Wednesday night I’ll check out my first Platinum.

13 3,386
 04-16-2019, 09:43 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I think they're good for 2.5 shaves, aka they're good for 2 shaves. The end of today's shave (#3 on this blade) was pretty darn uncomfortable and ended up with nicks on the neck (completely odd for me).

Will take some time off of the Permasharps.

84 3,645
 04-17-2019, 08:42 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(04-08-2019, 07:45 AM)chazt Wrote: Blade 2 I stretched to three shaves but it left me feeling irritated, so I went back to tossing them after the second shave.

Looks like we are on the same page...

84 3,645
 04-17-2019, 11:26 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Tonight I will open a tuck of Platinums for the first time. GC is on deck.

13 3,386
 04-17-2019, 06:39 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Holy Moly. I’ve tried a number of Russian made DE razor blades. GSB, Rapira, Polsilver, Astra, 7:00 Yellows Greens Blacks, Permasharp, and now Gillette Platinums. Rather than the Game Changer, I opted for a mid sixties English Tech (probably as efficient as a prewar Tech, maybe more so; definitely more efficient than a ball handle Tech). It was only one shave, but the Platinum blade was SMOOTH and sharp. There was no tugging or irritation at all. Alum post shave yielded zero burn. Quite simply, the Platinum kicked the Permasharp’s ass. We’ll see how awesome shave 2 is tomorrow, but greatgoogalymoogaly and lawdylawdymissclawdy! Based on this first use I am to say least, super impressed.

13 3,386
 04-17-2019, 07:13 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Haha, I'm impressed by the adjectives you used to describe how impressed you are.
I hope your face continues to agree!

84 3,645
 04-17-2019, 07:18 PM
User Info
Astra's a long time favorite and new comer Polsilver, superb. typically get 2 shaves from each
Today was a fresh GSB in my Gold Gillette SS ~'47. Silitsky masculine musk. so smooth and as close to BBS as I care to go. 
didn't care for 7:00 Greens but that may have been due to rookie mistakes so they will get another opportunity
Post shave was strictly for the scent. Finished with Hugo Boss Bottled Intense. 
Wednesday night is ballroom dance night.

0 229