Grip: 10
Ease of Blade Replacement: 10
Aggressiveness: 5
Adjustability: N/A
Balance: 9
Overall Rating: 8.5
Would I recommend: Yes
[Image: Cadet-TTO15-02.jpg]
This is the first TTO that I have that is not a Gillette, so I was not sure what to expect. This is a big razor, much larger in size and weight than any TTO that I have owned before.

Unlike previous reviews, I will list the negatives before the positives.

What I found odd was the way the TTO mechanism operates, instead of turning a knob, you must twist the complete handle. This is not a big deal, but you must hold the top "barber pole" while turning, just slightly odd for those use to using a Gillette.

The head design is larger in size than any Gillette that I have owned, making it slightly less maneuverable under your nose.

Now the good news....this is a great razor!

Fit and finish are excellent, no signs of machining, buffing flaws, or sloppy plating. The knurling on the barber shop pole handle provides a slip free grip no matter how much water or lather may be on your hands.

The weight of the solid brass handle combined with the 4 inch length makes it a joy to hold. The balance is very good, with the center of gravity being about half an inch below the head.

Blade gap measures .81mm, making it about as aggressive as a Slim Adjustable on 5, and slightly more than the R89/DE89 head.

The TTO mechanism operates smoothly and closes without any unevenness.

I find this razor a joy to use. I would recommend this razor to any new wet shaver looking to find an easy to use modern TTO, especially with it's $23.99 price!

[Image: Cadet-TTO15-03.jpg]

5 833
 09-16-2012, 12:53 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you for a great review and beautiful pictures. It certainly appears Cadet is making some really nice razors. If you think this razor is big try the Merkur Vision.

100 12,445
 09-16-2012, 04:25 PM
User Info
Arley, thanks for your review.

75 20,883
 09-16-2012, 05:20 PM
User Info
Arley, that is an excellent review.

Here is where we differ and it may simply be due to tolerances in the razor heads, but I find this to be slightly more aggressive than the Cadet OC and Arley finds the opposite with his set.

We both agree that it shaves great and it is a value buy for any traditional shaver. Yes we have a wealth of vintage razors and I have my share along with others, but a new model calls out to those who do not want to have a "vintage" razor but want a quality TTO at a reasonable price.

Thanks to Joe at Shaveabuck.com for developing the Cadet line of razors.

1 2,827
 10-06-2012, 04:22 PM
User Info
I have to give a big thumbs up to this razor.
I have only used twice so far but tonight was one of the best BB shaves ever.

31 1,800
 10-07-2012, 02:03 AM
User Info
The Cadet OC is very aggressive, at least for me, much more so than the NEW. Anyone else got here an aggressive TTO?

And, forgot to mention, thanks for an excellent review!

6 808
 10-07-2012, 02:46 AM
User Info
Thank you very much for another great review, Arley.

Nice looking razor indeed. I am looking forward to recieving mine!

Is it bigger and heavier than Merkur Futur?

4 365
 10-08-2012, 03:39 AM
User Info
I bought the same razor and I'm very pleased with the shave as well. Heavy enough and large enough blade gap to get a good shave.

0 11
 10-09-2012, 08:07 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I could not resist the allure of a modern TTO razor for under $25. So I ordered one from Shaveabuck. I have not gotten it yet and am reading what people are thinking about it. I have yet to find anything negative. Thank you, Arley for your write-up. Makes me impatient for mine. I found New Long Comb too aggressive for me, so I am not sure what to expect from the Cadet TTO. I will have to shave with it. I think the aggressiveness is a two fold thing for most people. One is how the razor feels and two is how the razor cuts. I think New LC feels and cuts aggressively. My Progress can feel much more mild and cut just as well as the New, on the other hand. Head design is everything. I found myself really going too deep with the Gilette New LC and taking some of the skin layer off with the stubble. It may, of course be my technique and the feel for this razor, but when I shave with Progress on 3-is (or 2.5-ish) I feel the mowing action is extremely efficient, yet my skin stays in tact and I do not need to recuperate for 3 days without a shave afterwards. Most of this is technique, I realize, but I am just not willing to sacrifice my face to the razor just to learn it when I have a wonderful tool to accomplish the task of shaving with much more pleasure and effectiveness. I think an adjustable is a good thing to have for a more experienced DE shaver so as to fine tune the compromise between aggressiveness and efficiency to the point where you can get an excellent BBS shave every day and not have irritated skin. I have not been able to get that before I got the Progress. Also, different blades have different grinds and thickness and that can be compensated by the adjustments. So just an aggressive razor for me is a big question mark, but I am still impatiently waiting to try the Cadet TTO. I think it is a very good thing to have on the market. TTO was why I used a Super Speed over an EJ DE89, even though EJ shaved me a little better. Just love the one piece DE razor design.

25 1,705
 10-11-2012, 08:10 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I just received my Cadet TTO-15 this morning before the shave and I gave it a go. First, some pictures.

The razor is beautiful, but I must say that the superior fit and finish ends at the head on my unit. The head is not horrible, but it certainly lack the refinement of the handle. It's the little things and nothing major, of course. Slightly rough surface on one of the doors, end caps are not smooth and have some small indentations, the two doors do not line up perfectly on one end (not enough to effect operation). Functionally the razor is perfect. Smooth TTO action, good blade alignment. Shaving with it was excellent. It has that characteristic sound of a Super Speed, but louder and more "buzzy", more like a Red Tip. Not a bad sound, but I am spoiled by the sound of Merkur Progress, which is truly amazing and anyone who appreciates audio feedback from a razor should definitely try Progress. Anyway, Cadet has lots of sound. It is more aggressive than the Red Tip, I think, but I no longer have a Red Tip to compare side-by-side. Just from my memory. This razor is quite a bit larger than the Super Speed and the Red Tip. I usually prefer smaller handles, but on this machine the size of the handle seems perfect. I ended up holding it lower on the handle, which is not my usual grip. However, it has just natural to hold it about halfway down the length of the handle, which has some of the best knurling I have experienced on a DE razor. As aggressive as the Merkur 34C, but much better finished so it is actually very pleasant to hold and is extremely effective and non-slip function. Very, very good grip on this thing. the head is big, as Arley has pointed out, but it does not matter for me, as I do not shave under nose (I wear a goatee). I did not notice it to be a lot taller than a normal flare tip SS, maybe it's more like a 40's SS in height, but I no longer own a 40's SS, so can't directly compare. All in all, I think this is an awesome razor for under $28 shipped. I noticed that Italian Barber sells pretty much the same razor re-branded as RazorRock for $20. They lack the selection of handles, though and only offer what looks like a copy of TTO-15. Still, assuming this is the same razor, for $20 you simply can not do much better than this razor. I love the aggressiveness level of it, but perhaps when I first started out it may be too much. I even hurt myself with an EJ DE89 and stuck to Techs (which I think are THE PERFECT first razor for new DE shaver). I am very happy that these razors are on the market. I may not hang on to my TTO-15 (makes a great gift), but I wanted to vote with my wallet and support the new TTO product. I love the TTO idea. It makes cleaning and blade change a snap and it's just way cool as a mechanism.

25 1,705
 10-11-2012, 11:58 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great review Arley very through.

1 3,507
 10-11-2012, 04:30 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I must agree on the shave quality...excellent!!!! I have the SanteFe TTO-11 basically the same razor from BullGoose and WOW I am very impressed. Just for the record I like razors and have Pils,Ikons,Traderes,Joris and practically at least one of every other razor in existance...the are all great BUT...this shaves amazingly well...for the price and with the PolSilver blades I got you just cannot do better. Yes other razors are built better ..finished better and may even look better BUT do they shave better? I,m going to test this with the worst blade I can find and experiment up the ying yang..because someone did their homework and this razor shaves like a dream and costs $215.00 less than a PILS...and a lot less than almost any other razor out there. When you come down to it even if you collect for various reasons at the end of the day the razor is to shave with..not look at.CoolSmileSmileSmile

6 1,913
 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(10-11-2012, 04:30 PM)Harvey Wrote: I must agree on the shave quality...excellent!!!! I have the SanteFe TTO-11 basically the same razor from BullGoose and WOW I am very impressed. Just for the record I like razors and have Pils,Ikons,Traderes,Joris and practically at least one of every other razor in existance...the are all great BUT...this shaves amazingly well...for the price and with the PolSilver blades I got you just cannot do better. Yes other razors are built better ..finished better and may even look better BUT do they shave better? I,m going to test this with the worst blade I can find and experiment up the ying yang..because someone did their homework and this razor shaves like a dream and costs $200.00 less than a PILS...and a lot less than almost any other razor out there. When you come down to it even if you collect for various reasons at the end of the day the razor is to shave with..not look at.CoolSmileSmileSmile

I agree, Cadet TTO shaves great and certainly is worth every penny it costs, but for me Merkur Progress is a better razor, even though it costs almost three times as much as Cadet TTO. Does it shave three times better? I don't know, but I like using it better and that's the ultimate test. I can not compare the Cadet to the high end razors you mentioned, but compared to the Red Tip I think Cadet is better, but Progress still wins pole position in my rotation. Still, an awesome razor for under $30. Kudos to the guys who bring it our marketplace here.

25 1,705