03-31-2019, 02:13 PM
User Info
I found a nice bowl in a thrift store and I wanted to share. It's a glass bowl fitting into a wood bowl and it was the perfect size for a SV puck.

The glass bowl is made in France and not remarkable in any way, the wood bowl is clearly hand-made by someone skilled (he or she left his/her initials and the year it was made in the bottom of the bowl). I'm pretty sure it's made from juniper wood and it is clearly made for this particular glass bowl as the fit is perfect. It did not look quite this nice when I bought it but all I did was some intense scrubbing and oiling the wood when it dried. Of course you could argue that the wood bowl serves no purpose other than looking good and you would be right, but I think that's reason enough Smile It's easy to pop the glass bowl out for loading the brush and then back into the wood bowl for display.

That's it. I paid a whole 20 SEK for this, which is just over $2 or about 2€. For those of you who, like me, like to go trolling the thrift stores there are nice things to find.

[Image: iWqeOrO.jpg]
[Image: tLX7hTF.jpg]

1 265
 03-31-2019, 02:20 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
 03-31-2019, 02:29 PM
User Info
That's a great find.  I wonder what the original purpose was?

58 9,153
 03-31-2019, 02:49 PM
User Info
(03-31-2019, 02:29 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: That's a great find.  I wonder what the original purpose was?

Me too. I remember having seen similar bowls before, used for candy or as a sugar bowl, when I was a kid. One might speculate that the custom of making a wood bowl to fit a glass bowl may have originated as a way to protect the glass? There was a time when glass bowls was precious items for poor folks.

1 265
 03-31-2019, 07:39 PM
User Info
Looks really nice; in the photo it looks like the base is one piece, with the wall of the bowl is a segmented ring... just making the glue-up for such a bowl takes skill, since it's really noticeable if it's uneven.

It's always a happy accident with things can be re-purposed for our hobby; it gives old items a new lease on life Smile

3 6,369
 04-01-2019, 12:25 AM
User Info
(03-31-2019, 07:39 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Looks really nice; in the photo it looks like the base is one piece, with the wall of the bowl is a segmented ring... just making the glue-up for such a bowl takes skill, since it's really noticeable if it's uneven.

Yes, that's correct. I'd imagine it has been glued first and then lathed to create the faux hoops.

(03-31-2019, 07:39 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: It's always a happy accident with things can be re-purposed for our hobby; it gives old items a new lease on life Smile

Agreed. I always get satisfaction from finding new uses for things. Feels like good karma Smile

1 265
 04-01-2019, 01:45 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Beautiful find Steve . I'm guessing that the glass bowl was used to hold a candle .

11 474
 05-22-2019, 06:35 PM
User Info
Very nice!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 259