04-01-2019, 07:11 AM
User Info
Met with a member to deliver some soaps in person and he brought some brushes he was going to list - of course the last thing I needed was another brush, but I couldn't help myself (I have zero impulse control)... So now I'm the proud owner of an M&F / Sears brush (L7, 28mm) - it's the longest handle I own - the first time I shaved with it (yesterday) I held it by the end, and my hand started cramping. Clearly I need to change my technique for this brush - likely holding it around the ferrule. But great lather and wonderful feel!

[Image: ogp3OuG.jpg]
[Image: u1qNiHy.jpg]

29 258
 04-01-2019, 07:57 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(04-01-2019, 07:11 AM)IanG153 Wrote: Met with a member to deliver some soaps in person and he brought some brushes he was going to list - of course the last thing I needed was another brush, but I couldn't help myself (I have zero impulse control)... So now I'm the proud owner of an M&F / Sears brush (L7, 28mm) - it's the longest handle I own - the first time I shaved with it (yesterday) I held it by the end, and my hand started cramping. Clearly I need to change my technique for this brush - likely holding it around the ferrule. But great lather and wonderful feel!

I'm glad you're enjoying your new L7.  Yours is one of two, 2-colour L7's we made in the Butterscotch/Tortoiseshell combination.  

If you're used to XL/Chubby-sized brushes, you quickly find that longer-handled brushes call for a slightly different method of holding, as you suggest.  To that end, we find the most comfortable way to hold the L7--and other similarly-sized brushes--is to wrap our thumb and forefinger around the ferrule while steadying the handle with the middle and fourth fingers gently against the palm.  With that handhold, we find the L7 a quite delightful brush--and hope you will as well.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

4 1,063
 04-01-2019, 08:15 AM
User Info
Thank you SO much for responding, Brad - that's an unanticipated bonus :-)
It's just a beautiful brush! I really do appreciate the background of the brush and the suggestions about how to hold it - you're right, I'm used to chubby-size brushes, so will do as you suggest.
Thank you again for your response - looking forward to many enjoyable shaves with this brush!
Best
Ian

29 258
 04-01-2019, 11:20 AM
User Info
If you send it to me, your hand will never cramp from using it.  Just a suggestion. Biggrin

1 644
 04-01-2019, 11:27 AM
User Info
It's a good suggestion - let me ponder that Rolleyes 
Ok, pondered - I'll see if Brad's recommendation works first!

29 258
 04-01-2019, 12:57 PM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(04-01-2019, 11:20 AM)bkatbamna Wrote: If you send it to me, your hand will never cramp from using it.  Just a suggestion. Biggrin

Well, ya know:  we just MIGHT be able to create one...or...two...or 10(!) more....  Biggrin  Seriously though, the bi-colour L7 is a fun brush to create posing enough of a technical challenge to be interesting, but not so much as to have me muttering to myself.  A6   On that subject, I've been pondering (that word again) a Coral handle under an Amber ferrule.  Cool

4 1,063
 04-01-2019, 01:28 PM
User Info
(04-01-2019, 12:57 PM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 11:20 AM)bkatbamna Wrote: If you send it to me, your hand will never cramp from using it.  Just a suggestion. Biggrin

Well, ya know:  we just MIGHT be able to create one...or...two...or 10(!) more....  Biggrin  Seriously though, the bi-colour L7 is a fun brush to create posing enough of a technical challenge to be interesting, but not so much as to have me muttering to myself.  A6   On that subject, I've been pondering (that word again) a Coral handle under an Amber ferrule.  Cool

Well, selfishly, I like how few of these brushes have been made, but I appreciate that others should have an opportunity to own one Confused
Just got home and held the brush as you suggested, Brad - huge difference - thank you! I'll be keeping this one, although Coral under Amber sounds like it would be beautiful!
Thanks again!
Ian

29 258
 04-01-2019, 01:55 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
Beautiful handle, great knot.

19 1,059
 04-01-2019, 01:56 PM
User Info
Thanks!!

29 258
 04-01-2019, 02:25 PM
User Info
Congratulations on your first M&F brush.

60 10,556
 04-01-2019, 03:02 PM
User Info
Thanks! 'first' being the operative word Shy

29 258
 04-01-2019, 03:37 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Congrats on your first of hopefully several M&F / Brad Sears brushes.

Nice tip from Brad on holding the brush.

17 967
 04-01-2019, 03:42 PM
User Info
Thanks - yes that tip makes all the difference - I like to think I would have figured out myself a better way to hold this brush than what I did, but nice to hear it from Brad!

29 258
 04-04-2019, 04:25 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(04-01-2019, 07:57 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 07:11 AM)IanG153 Wrote: Met with a member to deliver some soaps in person and he brought some brushes he was going to list - of course the last thing I needed was another brush, but I couldn't help myself (I have zero impulse control)... So now I'm the proud owner of an M&F / Sears brush (L7, 28mm) - it's the longest handle I own - the first time I shaved with it (yesterday) I held it by the end, and my hand started cramping. Clearly I need to change my technique for this brush - likely holding it around the ferrule. But great lather and wonderful feel!

I'm glad you're enjoying your new L7.  Yours is one of two, 2-colour L7's we made in the Butterscotch/Tortoiseshell combination.  

If you're used to XL/Chubby-sized brushes, you quickly find that longer-handled brushes call for a slightly different method of holding, as you suggest.  To that end, we find the most comfortable way to hold the L7--and other similarly-sized brushes--is to wrap our thumb and forefinger around the ferrule while steadying the handle with the middle and fourth fingers gently against the palm.  With that handhold, we find the L7 a quite delightful brush--and hope you will as well.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

That is a beautiful brush! Congrats BSWood and great job Brad, from conception to product. I now have another brush to add to my "gimme" list. Of course,  I'm a Fan fan but at that size knot bulbs do get on that list,  otherwise.....

8 2,844
 04-04-2019, 05:19 AM
User Info
That’s a beauty. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 1,950
 04-04-2019, 05:25 AM
User Info
Thanks - Brad's holding tip made all the difference - enjoying this brush a LOT!

29 258
 07-21-2019, 03:43 PM
User Info
Great brush, M&F is a quality badger.

6 76