04-02-2019, 08:44 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
After so many prayers, MdC began to distribute the test samples of all shaving soaps.
https://savonnerie-martin-de-candre.com/...mit_search

0 1,664
 04-02-2019, 11:16 AM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
This is great news. Someone speaking French needs to tell MdC that next they need to make is Fougere After Shave lotion to compliment their soap.

11 472
 04-02-2019, 12:00 PM
User Info
This is great, so everyone that wants to try it can, and then decide if they love it before making the investment!

I really like MDC Fougere, and it pairs exceedingly well with Sebum Blue post shave serum!

Vr

Matt

21 1,092
 04-02-2019, 12:24 PM
User Info
Hm, they promise 7 to 12 shaves per sample for 8€. Okay, I suppose that's fair given what the soap costs. 

I'm more curious/confounded by the choice of supplying the samples in the form of cardboard impregnated with the soap, as opposed to an actual soap sample?
If my less-than-perfect French is not failing me, that's what it says ("un étui cartonné dans lequel est pliée une feuille de papier imprégnée de notre savon à raser").

1 235
 04-02-2019, 01:47 PM
User Info
I watched their video on how they make it...let it age for months so that it dries out, mash it down, and scrape off the excess to get it absolutely filled to the brim of the jar.

Perhaps they realized how much product/money they were wasting by not offering samples for sale!

Smart strategy...stop wasting excess soap...offer it for sale as samples...get people hooked on their product...sell more full sized jars and brain bowls!

Vr

Matt

21 1,092
 04-02-2019, 02:55 PM
User Info
7 to 12 shaves? It must be the size of a dime or smaller Smile

But seriously, MdC is very long lasting, I'm curious to see how big the samples are. Either way, MdC is high quality, high price yet very low cost per use - hopefully this allows more people to try it.

2 148
 04-02-2019, 03:17 PM
User Info
(04-02-2019, 02:55 PM)TripleG Wrote: 7 to 12 shaves? It must be the size of a dime or smaller Smile

But seriously, MdC is very long lasting, I'm curious to see how big the samples are. Either way, MdC is high quality, high price yet very low cost per use - hopefully this allows more people to try it.

I won't, frankly. If I were to try this soap it I'd much rather spend 25.5€ on a 50 ml jar than 8€ on a piece of cardboard that'll last me 7-12 shaves.  
I also wonder about your definition of "very low cost per use"... very low compared to what? Do you think MdC would beat SV on a cost per use basis? I find that difficult to believe.

1 235
 04-02-2019, 03:37 PM
User Info
(04-02-2019, 12:24 PM)RazorSteve Wrote: Hm, they promise 7 to 12 shaves per sample for 8€. Okay, I suppose that's fair given what the soap costs. 

I'm more curious/confounded by the choice of supplying the samples in the form of cardboard impregnated with the soap, as opposed to an actual soap sample?
If my less-than-perfect French is not failing me, that's what it says ("un étui cartonné dans lequel est pliée une feuille de papier imprégnée de notre savon à raser").

French being my first language, i can say that yes, it is some kind of waxed paper folded in a cardboard. I figured that they use this method has it would be cheaper to send them in the post as they are very slim like an envelope.

It's still 40 euro if you want to try the 5 different sample + the shipping!

0 114
 04-02-2019, 04:04 PM
User Info
Speaking of MDC...I just purchased the Vetyver EDT. Has anyone had any experience with it?

I am really hoping the fragrance matches the soap!

Vr

Matt

21 1,092
 04-02-2019, 04:23 PM
User Info
(04-02-2019, 03:17 PM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 02:55 PM)TripleG Wrote: 7 to 12 shaves? It must be the size of a dime or smaller Smile

I won't, frankly. If I were to try this soap it I'd much rather spend 25.5€ on a 50 ml jar than 8€ on a piece of cardboard that'll last me 7-12 shaves.  
I also wonder about your definition of "very low cost per use"... very low compared to what? Do you think MdC would beat SV on a cost per use basis? I find that difficult to believe.

The shipping cost is the bigger concern in this case.

11 568
 04-02-2019, 08:20 PM
User Info
(04-02-2019, 04:04 PM)Ols67 Wrote: Speaking of MDC...I just purchased the Vetyver EDT. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Vr

Matt

I just re-up’d on the Vetyver EDT. I think and hope you will be pleased.

0 13
 04-02-2019, 08:36 PM
User Info

2 years ago On my very first order I bought the Lavendar, Fougere, Rose and Vetyver. I shave at least twice a week and I still haven’t finished one. I’m actually annoyed because I don’t want to be wasteful so I won’t buy more soap until I finish these up. I might be set for life.

0 13
 04-02-2019, 11:54 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info

Exactly.

And they don't even mention how many grams the sample is. What if someone uses a brush with a 30mm knot?

60 2,593
 04-03-2019, 01:00 AM
User Info
(04-02-2019, 08:36 PM)RzrShrp Wrote:

2 years ago On my very first order I bought the Lavendar, Fougere, Rose and Vetyver. I shave at least twice a week and I still haven’t finished one. I’m actually annoyed because I don’t want to be wasteful so I won’t buy more soap until I finish these up. I might be set for life.

You illustrate exactly what bothers me with MdC, the jar sizes.
MdC is not actually more expensive than for example Klar Siefen per 100g if you buy the 200g jar. They both cost the same (just under 23€ per 100g) and Klar is milled five times so I see no reason to believe it won't last at least as long as MdC's soaps. But MdC makes you choose between 50g at TWICE that price (50€ per 100g) or 200g at the lower price (unlike Klar and almost all other soaps that comes in ~100g jars). To me this is a sneaky way to get people to overspend. Especially, as you claim, because they last so long. Did you really need to buy almost a kilo of that soap? Would you have bought as much, if they had offered 100g jars? 

And this is why I am about to buy a jar of Klar but I won't buy MdC, but that's just me.

1 235
 04-03-2019, 09:07 AM
User Info
(04-02-2019, 08:20 PM)RzrShrp Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 04:04 PM)Ols67 Wrote: Speaking of MDC...I just purchased the Vetyver EDT. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Vr

Matt

I just re-up’d on the Vetyver EDT. I think and hope you will be pleased.

Thanks! Can’t wait to give it a go!

Vr

Matt

21 1,092
 04-03-2019, 10:50 AM
  • Nero
User Info
Except that no one thinks Klar is comparable to MdC.

84 3,670
 04-03-2019, 11:27 AM
User Info
(04-03-2019, 01:00 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 03:17 PM)RazorSteve Wrote: I won't, frankly. If I were to try this soap it I'd much rather spend 25.5€ on a 50 ml jar than 8€ on a piece of cardboard that'll last me 7-12 shaves.  

MdC is not actually more expensive than for example Klar Siefen per 100g if you buy the 200g jar. They both cost the same (just under 23€ per 100g) and Klar is milled five times so I see no reason to believe it won't last at least as long as MdC's soaps. But MdC makes you choose between 50g at TWICE that price (50€ per 100g) or 200g at the lower price (unlike Klar and almost all other soaps that comes in ~100g jars). To me this is a sneaky way to get people to overspend. Especially, as you claim, because they last so long. Did you really need to buy almost a kilo of that soap? Would you have bought as much, if they had offered 100g jars? 

And this is why I am about to buy a jar of Klar but I won't buy MdC, but that's just me.

Steve,

Regarding your question about needing a to buy almost a kilo of the soap...200g is not even 1/4 of a kilo. In addition, I own the Original, Vetyver, Argumes, Rose, and Fougere...each in the 200g jar! So while I didn’t need to own a full kilo of MDC...I wanted to, and I don’t regret having five jars of the different scents available.

I guess if the world or Martin De Candre comes to an end as we know it, at least I will never have to be without my number one favorite soap!

Klar Seifen is a great product...I believe I actually did a thread giving it high praises, and I enjoy using it! My main complaint, is what you point out as their strength. I think that the 100g jar is annoying, and less than ideal for loading the brush. I have found that grating it into another container that has more surface area for loading is better, or grating just a little to be pressed into a lather bowl also works. Smaller pucks just don’t do it for me.

That being said all this talk of Klar has me wanting to use it for my next shave!!!

Vr

Matt

21 1,092
 04-03-2019, 12:37 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Just buy them from Shavedash. 8 euros for a sample is a joke.

(Save your money for better soaps, like Nuavia for example if you prefer premium soaps with nice presentation).

60 2,593
 04-03-2019, 01:03 PM
User Info
(04-03-2019, 12:37 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Just buy them from Shavedash. 8 euros for a sample is a joke.

(Save your money for better soaps, like Nuavia for example if you prefer premium soaps with nice presentation).

I forgot about shavedash Nick! Quite right!

Vr

Matt

21 1,092
 04-03-2019, 08:32 PM
User Info
(04-03-2019, 01:00 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 03:17 PM)RazorSteve Wrote: I won't, frankly. If I were to try this soap it I'd much rather spend 25.5€ on a 50 ml jar than 8€ on a piece of cardboard that'll last me 7-12 shaves.  

All things considered, I definitely don’t regret buying the four jars of 200g, now that I have them and I love the product. But, if I could do it over I probably would have bought two just so I could have a different brand in the rotation.

0 13