04-05-2019, 12:26 PM
User Info
Has anyone tried this one yet? I just found it on their website but some searching indicates it came out last year.

From the TOBS website:
A classic fragrance with top notes of bergamot, mandarin, cypress, middle notes of orange flower, lavender, oceanic and base notes of vetiver and woody amber

6 1,164
 04-05-2019, 02:46 PM
User Info
(04-05-2019, 12:26 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Has anyone tried this one yet? I just found it on their website but some searching indicates it came out last year.

From the TOBS website:
A classic fragrance with top notes of bergamot, mandarin, cypress, middle notes of orange flower, lavender, oceanic and base notes of vetiver and woody amber

Never saw that one b/4. Interested to see what others say about it...... Icon_popcorn

1 1,073
 04-14-2019, 01:52 PM
  • Nero
User Info
They also have another new one called Royal Forest. Not of much interest to me with several fruit notes in the pyramid.

Top Notes: Bergamot, Apple, Blackcurrant, Berries and Pineapple.

Middle Notes: Jasmine, Rose, Birch, Patchouli, Black Pepper.

Base Notes: Oakmoss, Ambergris, Musk, Vanilla

----------------------------
The No. 50 would be more up my alley.

98 4,167
 04-14-2019, 02:16 PM
User Info
I had a sample of No.50 last year, here's what I posted on the pass around thread (on another forum...)

Quote:It's an unusual cream, very thin consistency and yet also grainy at the same time... I prefer thicker creams but it doesnt really matter I suppose, just messier this way for face lathering.

Performance: I used around 2g of product, best not be shy with it and use a good dollop to be safe. Enough lather for 4 passes was whipped up quickly and easily, once on the face it has quite a dense consistency, not foamy at all which is appreciated, cushion was good however slickness was just average compared to some other creams which presumably have a higher glycerine content (T&H and GFT spring to mind.) Immediate post-shave felt fine, no apparent issues and yet 20 minutes later my face felt incredibly tight and dry despite using an oily aftershave.

Scent: Once lathered up and on the face it smelt like a TdH clone with a synthetic aquatic note blended in... I keep coming back to TdH as all software with that scent instantly reminds me of chocolate with orange oil (Terry's etc) and this No.50 does exactly the same thing... Unfortunately its a scent I despise and the added aquatic note feels discordant, cheap, poorly executed... There, I said it. Of course this is all YMMV, if you enjoy modern Cologne scents then it might be right up your alley.

I've not tried Royal Forest yet, but am reliably informed it is a Creed Aventus clone... A scent which has become something of a standing joke. It is the scent of desperation on a Friday night (every bar and club in the UK stinks of it of an evening when there's lots of guys "on the pull".)

4 368
 04-15-2019, 04:46 AM
  • rev579
  • μαθητής
  • East Texas
User Info
The No. 50 is a very good scent, close to Platinum, but still different. I apologize for not being well-versed in scent description.
I would classify No. 50, Platinum and Royal Forest in one group and Mr. Taylor's and St. James in another group. Finally I would put Eton College and Jermyn Street in a 3rd group. I would place Sandalwood in a category all it's own. These are the ToOBS creams I have used. I have given away one Jermyn Street, listed another for sale. I have sold my Eton College and handed my Sandalwood tub to my son.
No. 50 is among the 5 tubs(Platinum, RF, Mr. Taylor's, St. James, & 50) I will hold on to an use.

3 113
 04-16-2019, 07:48 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
To me TOBS 50 has a modern aquatic cologne scent. I like it. 

I haven't used it, so I can not comment on performance. I assume its similar to other TOBS creams.

112 2,222
 04-16-2019, 08:32 AM
  • rev579
  • μαθητής
  • East Texas
User Info
(04-16-2019, 07:48 AM)Gabe Wrote: To me TOBS 50 has a modern aquatic cologne scent. I like it. 

I haven't used it, so I can not comment on performance. I assume its similar to other TOBS creams.

I performs just like the others, though Jermyn Street is a little different(and should be). The comparison to modern aquatic scents is pretty common, and is the response I got as I was asking questions about the cream as well. In the end, it is a great Spring and Summer scented cream and could be purchased without fear of ending up with a "I hate it" scent.

3 113
 04-16-2019, 09:00 AM
User Info
(04-16-2019, 08:32 AM)rev579 Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 07:48 AM)Gabe Wrote: To me TOBS 50 has a modern aquatic cologne scent. I like it. 

I performs just like the others, though Jermyn Street is a little different(and should be). The comparison to modern aquatic scents is pretty common, and is the response I got as I was asking questions about the cream as well. In the end, it is a great Spring and Summer scented cream and could be purchased without fear of ending up with a "I hate it" scent.

Perhaps the sample I had was bad but it neither looked or performed like any other TOBS cream I've ever used. No.50 had a watery yet granular consistency, if I turned the tub I decanted it into upside down it would without a doubt run out onto the floor. In-shave performance I'll concede was exactly as expected from a TOBS cream but post-shave was remarkably different, No.50 gave me a dry/tight face so much so that I had to apply a moisturiser... Not an issue I've had with any other TOBS and I've tried them all apart from Avocado and Royal Forest.

Edit to add: It also left a greasy white powdery film on everything, not pleasant.

4 368
 04-16-2019, 10:54 AM
  • rev579
  • μαθητής
  • East Texas
User Info
(04-16-2019, 09:00 AM)Rohleder Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 08:32 AM)rev579 Wrote:

Perhaps the sample I had was bad but it neither looked or performed like any other TOBS cream I've ever used. No.50 had a watery yet granular consistency, if I turned the tub I decanted it into upside down it would without a doubt run out onto the floor. In-shave performance I'll concede was exactly as expected from a TOBS cream but post-shave was remarkably different, No.50 gave me a dry/tight face so much so that I had to apply a moisturiser... Not an issue I've had with any other TOBS and I've tried them all apart from Avocado and Royal Forest.

Edit to add: It also left a greasy white powdery film on everything, not pleasant.

Mine tub came from a rep or distributor, not a vendor or store front and was easily the “freshest” ToOBS I’ve encountered. Thus far.
I’d contact the vendor if you bought it New.

3 113
 04-16-2019, 12:41 PM
User Info
(04-16-2019, 10:54 AM)rev579 Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 09:00 AM)Rohleder Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 08:32 AM)rev579 Wrote: I performs just like the others, though Jermyn Street is a little different(and should be). The comparison to modern aquatic scents is pretty common, and is the response I got as I was asking questions about the cream as well. In the end, it is a great Spring and Summer scented cream and could be purchased without fear of ending up with a "I hate it" scent.

Mine tub came from a rep or distributor, not a vendor or store front and was easily the “freshest” ToOBS I’ve encountered. Thus far.
I’d contact the vendor if you bought it New.

It was supplied to the forum for pass around by TOBS themselves but creams can go bad during transit if exposed to high temperatures.

Glad to hear yours was fine and the example I had was not typical.

4 368
 04-16-2019, 01:17 PM
  • rev579
  • μαθητής
  • East Texas
User Info
I opened mine, touched it, and as I worked it in between my index finger and thumb, there was no grit, just pleasant goodness. My experience with samples led me to believe:
(1) The container really needs to be sealed(the embossed seal is not meant to be thrown away,
(2) To keep the cream at the highest quality, it ought to be scooped, not loaded directly,
(3) Samples are not the best indicator of how the soap will perform

All of the product that I ended up with was very unlike what I had previously bought from "online" stores. I understand that product can sit on the shelves for a long time, but I also discovered there is "grey" market product out there, being sold by respected vendors, that probably should not be sold at the prices they are being sold at. Grey product needs to be sold as OLD PRODUCT, at or around 50% of the MSRP, not even 75% because it is not worth it. You use more product, you become more dissatisfied with the product and even the seller. Then the stuff gets sold, used, and the name and reputation is tarnished.
Now that I know what the fresh stuff is supposed to be like, I am afraid I will be an irritation to sellers in the marketplace, because I don't want and won't accept old, out of date product.
The container indicates it has a 12 month shelf life.

3 113