04-06-2019, 02:21 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I have a question for you gents. Does anyone use any 100% pure witch hazel as a toner?

Thayers is a great product but last time I made an order from iherb it took more than 6 weeks to arrive. Also, custom duties are high and I'm not willing to take the risk again. I found a high quality pure witch hazel at a good price here in Greece and I'm about to buy it.

My main question is if the pure witch hazel is sticky. If so, I won't enjoy it as much and I will probably look into some other solutions. Comparing to a Thayers how does a pure witch hazel perform? Do you feel any difference? Is it better?

Thayers witch hazel concentration is relatively low and contains other ingredients as well.

60 2,593
 04-06-2019, 09:52 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I got the answer I was looking for!

60 2,593
 04-06-2019, 11:00 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
BTW, if you ever want thayers shipped faster, will gladly ship for you.  No way should take 2 months  just pm

3 419
 04-06-2019, 11:47 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(04-06-2019, 11:00 AM)DanLaw Wrote: BTW, if you ever want thayers shipped faster, will gladly ship for you.  No way should take 2 months  just pm
Thank you so much, Dan, for your kind offer. I truly appreciate it.

60 2,593
 04-06-2019, 12:03 PM
User Info
(04-06-2019, 02:21 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I have a question for you gents. Does anyone use any 100% pure witch hazel as a toner?

Thayers is a great product but last time I made an order from iherb it took more than 6 weeks to arrive. Also, custom duties are high and I'm not willing to take the risk again. I found a high quality pure witch hazel at a good price here in Greece and I'm about to buy it.

My main question is if the pure witch hazel is sticky. If so, I won't enjoy it as much and I will probably look into some other solutions. Comparing to a Thayers how does a pure witch hazel perform? Do you feel any difference? Is it better?

Thayers witch hazel concentration is relatively low and contains other ingredients as well.

I've been thinking about the same. I can't find any witch hazel (hamamelis) product available in the EU which does not also contain alcohol, i.e. similar to Thayers.
If nothing else, Nikos, perhaps you can start making and selling your own tonic Smile

1 235
 04-06-2019, 12:16 PM
User Info
I’ve seen this available on Amazon in the US.

http://www.homesteadcompany.com/product_p/wh.htm

It is important to know that alcohol at 4% is a natural byproduct of the process that makes witch hazel. I assume removing the alcohol requires another step in the process, although the last thing anyone would call me is a chemist.

2 242
 04-06-2019, 12:33 PM
User Info
(04-06-2019, 12:16 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I’ve seen this available on Amazon in the US.

http://www.homesteadcompany.com/product_p/wh.htm

It is important to know that alcohol at 4% is a natural byproduct of the process that makes witch hazel.  I assume removing the alcohol requires another step in the process, although the last thing anyone would call me is a chemist.

Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks.

1 235
 04-06-2019, 01:01 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(04-06-2019, 12:03 PM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(04-06-2019, 02:21 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I have a question for you gents. Does anyone use any 100% pure witch hazel as a toner?

I've been thinking about the same. I can't find any witch hazel (hamamelis) product available in the EU which does not also contain alcohol, i.e. similar to Thayers.
If nothing else, Nikos, perhaps you can start making and selling your own tonic Smile
I always use Thayers before applying any lotion or balm. It does magnificent work. It's a magic product. My neck is a bit sensitive and witch hazel allows me to shave daily with no problems. I am about to finish the third bottle, so I was looking for a replacement the last days.

A friend on another forum suggested me to make my own mix with water or my favorite asl. Some others use it without mixing it.

I'll make my own mix with vapor distilled water, ethanol and pure witch hazel. I don't think I'll add any EO. I will make a large quantity, close to 1000 ml. This will last me for years. I'll be out of Greece for a few months starting in May and I'll take with me two small bottles along with some Gillette Guards, a synthetic brush, a La Toja and an Arko stick.

I read that pure witch hazel usually contains about 14% alcohol as a result of the process.

Steve, I'd be more than happy to send you a bottle, it's not expensive anyway, but the first thing they ask me at the post office every time I ship a package outside Greece is if it contains any liquid. The second question is about batteries. What can you say...

60 2,593
 04-22-2019, 12:57 PM
User Info
This one is magnificent.   No alcohol.  As good as witch hazel gets in my opinion.

This is an old photo.  I've run out and am just about to order more.  I keep it in the fridge, as per their recommendation.

[Image: kfwZ0kA.jpg]

1 545
 04-22-2019, 02:15 PM
User Info
I do make my own aftershave and in my mind it's worth it. Because I add alcohol anyway, 14% in the witch hazel doesn't seem to be a thing for me.

1 51
 04-22-2019, 02:45 PM
User Info
I just use generic witch hazel from the drugstore.  I have oily skin and like alcohol in any aftershave splash.

57 9,003