04-06-2019, 11:57 AM
User Info
Gents, 

Usually I use a blade once and toss it.  However, I am finding that on the DE blades I use...the shaves on the 2nd and 3rd use are the best!

Does anyone take the blade out and use it in a different razor on the second or third uses, or do most just leave the same blade in the same razor through its lifecycle of uses?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

21 1,108
 04-06-2019, 12:12 PM
User Info
I’ll do both depending on my mood. I’ll typically use the same blade for several shaves no matter which razor I may use during that time. I’ll typically get anywhere from 3 to 6 shaves from the blades I use (GSB and Voskhod).

2 244
 04-06-2019, 12:41 PM
User Info
(04-06-2019, 11:57 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Gents, 

Usually I use a blade once and toss it.  However, I am finding that on the DE blades I use...the shaves on the 2nd and 3rd use are the best!

Does anyone take the blade out and use it in a different razor on the second or third uses, or do most just leave the same blade in the same razor through its lifecycle of uses?

I do. I actually take the blade out and the razor apart after every shave. This might be a bit OCD, but it's how I've done it from the start. When it's a new type of blade I haven't used before I've kept reusing it until it started to feel dull to find the limit. Since I've been experimenting with razor and blade combinations the blades often end up being used in different razors.

1 235
 04-06-2019, 12:50 PM
User Info
I only use blades once.  I've never found any subsequent use to be better than the first.  I understand the concept that a blade may get smoother on the second use, but it just hasn't been my experience.  Everyone has different facial hair, and mine is very tough.  I need the blade at its sharpest, and that is when it's new.

57 9,026
 04-06-2019, 12:54 PM
User Info
I find I get the best shaves when I leave a blade in the same razor, but I know of others that switch them freely and get over 100 shaves out of a single blade.
Personally, I find the shaves after the 7th shave (which is usually a little not as awesome as the previous shaves) are the smoothest. maybe shaves 7 or 8-14+, after 14 I usually am bored of that razor an switch anyway, but I've gotten 30ish shaves, and they're smooth as silk. 

I also find the first shave is never the best for me, with any blade I've tried. The exception is Rapira Platinum Lux, which is one and done for me,  and Nacet, which I get about 3 shaves from before it has to go.

11 570
 04-06-2019, 01:15 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I usually leave the blade in the razor for it's life cycle.  Feathers and Kais I find to be better on the second or third shave.  I usually get 3 nice shaves from a blade.  I have pushed it further, and gotten more shaves from a blade but I just don't think it's worth it for the cost of a blade vs the comfort of the shave.

12 2,032
 04-06-2019, 01:47 PM
  • chrism
  • England, UK
User Info
I only ever use a blade twice - the first shave uses one side of the DE blade and the second shave uses the other - I find this works best especially with a razor with an engraved head so I know which side I have previously used.

0 31
 04-06-2019, 01:52 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I usually don't switch razors until I kill the blade.

84 3,672
 04-06-2019, 02:03 PM
User Info
Shaving I've done it every way.....I'm easy Facepalm  I do whatever I feel like doing.. Sisi1

1 1,073
 04-06-2019, 02:11 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(04-06-2019, 12:50 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I only use blades once.  I've never found any subsequent use to be better than the first.  I understand the concept that a blade may get smoother on the second use, but it just hasn't been my experience.  Everyone has different facial hair, and mine is very tough.  I need the blade at its sharpest, and that is when it's new.

+1

I am always amazed that anyone can get more than 2 shaves out of a DE blade. 

I agree the second is never as good as the first, acceptable is rarely exceptional why bother when a blade costs 10 to 50 cents a piece YMMV

Let's see how tough my beard is vs my new Black Hawk SE holding a Kai Pink for a Sunday shave. 

I have a fresh tube of Proraso Gel Riparatore just in case my face ends up ripped and torn.

0 252
 04-06-2019, 03:26 PM
User Info
(04-06-2019, 12:50 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I only use blades once.  I've never found any subsequent use to be better than the first.  I understand the concept that a blade may get smoother on the second use, but it just hasn't been my experience.  Everyone has different facial hair, and mine is very tough.  I need the blade at its sharpest, and that is when it's new.

So far, I've just never experienced that a blade was any worse on the second shave compared to the first. On the third I certainly have, with some blades at least. But I could not rationalize only using blades once when I can't detect a difference on the second (and in some cases third and fourth) shave. As you said I suspect the facial hair properties is key here, in other words YMMV.

1 235
 04-06-2019, 06:46 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I do both, one blade-one razor / one blade-two razors. I discard my blades after 2-3 shaves; after that they get too harsh.

13 3,411
 04-07-2019, 04:37 AM
User Info
Thanks for all the replies gents! It gives me food for thought and things to try!

I hope everyone has a nice Sunday!

Vr

Matt

21 1,108
 04-08-2019, 05:41 PM
User Info
Interesting thread.  I have only been traditional wet shaving for about 14 months and still am in the test mode with software and hardware combos.  To somewhat control my variables  when comparing soaps, preshave, aftershave products,  I have been leaving a blade in the same razor until it's done, usually 4-5 shaves.  

But by using the same razor/blade combo, I am not testing my blade compatibility with different razors adequately.  So I plan on switching among razors as I have a good skillset built on prep, lathering, post shave ritual from using my approach to date.

I also have noticed that subsequent shaves are better than the first, but I need to do a better job of tracking and some regression testing with the same blade type in the same razor to eliminate any anomalies and seeing if that pattern repeats itself.

6 144
 04-08-2019, 06:12 PM
User Info
(04-08-2019, 05:41 PM)boilerphan Wrote: Interesting thread.  I have only been traditional wet shaving for about 14 months and still am in the test mode with software and hardware combos.  To somewhat control my variables  when comparing soaps, preshave, aftershave products,  I have been leaving a blade in the same razor until it's done, usually 4-5 shaves.  

But by using the same razor/blade combo, I am not testing my blade compatibility with different razors adequately.  So I plan on switching among razors as I have a good skillset built on prep, lathering, post shave ritual from using my approach to date.

I also have noticed that subsequent shaves are better than the first, but I need to do a better job of tracking and some regression testing with the same blade type in the same razor to eliminate any anomalies and seeing if that pattern repeats itself.
I’ve found that blades are smoother after some use. At the 6-8 shaves point, I get a mediocre shave that many would deem the end of life point for that blade, but after that they get smoother again. The smoothest shaves I’ve had have all been after that point.

11 570
 04-11-2019, 05:00 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
As I use vintage blades only and since they ,to varying degrees , last so long I occasionally do just so. Not often but occasionally.

8 2,602
 04-11-2019, 07:07 AM
User Info
I agree with @TheLegalRazor.  "I only use blades once.  I've never found any subsequent use to be better than the first." 

22 836
 04-11-2019, 01:33 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(04-11-2019, 07:07 AM)LookingGlass Wrote: I agree with @TheLegalRazor.  "I only use blades once.  I've never found any subsequent use to be better than the first." 

But with the right blades,  you'll find anywhere from the next two to the next twenty eight or so to be just as good. It's a very small and insignificant type of conspicuous consumption.

8 2,602
 04-13-2019, 11:00 PM
User Info
(04-06-2019, 01:52 PM)Nero Wrote: I usually don't switch razors until I kill the blade.

That's how I do it. I might rotate razors on a week by week basis but rarely do I change blades or handles between shaves.

6 1,067
 04-14-2019, 03:57 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
I have three razors at this time. There have been times when I've had more, but I've always managed the rotation the same way. Whichever razor is up, I load a fresh blade and use the razor and blade for one week (six shaves). There have been a few times when I have had to adjust for a week or two because a blade didn't feel right. The adjustment was tossing the bad or worn out blade early and giving a new blade either a short run, or a longer run of seven or eight shaves. Eight seems to be the limit for me.

10 746