04-09-2019, 12:36 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I acquired this old Simpson recently. As you can see, it requires a new loft. The KR7 is a brush that was identified by Gary Young, ancestor of Alexander Simpson, and hails from the early Nimmer Mill, Somerset days. In his own words: "The old KR7 is named after the house that one of the staff lived in - 7 Kents Row - in Somerset where the mill used to be", so it might be as old as the early 1940s. Mr Young also named it as one of five brushes he would regard as the top of the Simpson range. I have found no other references to this brush, but it looks like the forerunner of the AS and M series.

Anyone else seen one, have one, or knows any more about the KR7 in Best Badger?

Picture:

[Image: 2QWTjF6.jpg]

0 2,095
 04-09-2019, 05:31 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Shaun , you are the treasure hunter CHAMPION ! For the first time I see KR7 .

11 472
 04-10-2019, 02:16 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Never heard of this one, but it sure is attractive! Thanks as always for sharing.

13 3,408
 04-10-2019, 07:33 AM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
Very cool piece of shaving history thanks for posting!  It does look like an AS3M with less accentuated curves and maybe a shorter grip ring.  Nice find sir.

Side note that old butterscotch looks amazing I'm still impressed Paladin was able to get so close to it with their butterscotch rod stock.

96 498
 04-10-2019, 07:38 AM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
A picture of an AS4M for anyone interested in seeing what the OP's brush is the precursor to
[Image: lTjKtRY.jpg]

96 498
 04-10-2019, 12:45 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Very nice comparison, Scott; thank you for posting the picture of the ASM4.  I agree the KR7 is certainly the forerunner here, and of others in that family of Simpsons. 

A further question to all: 

I hardly need another brush to use, and in the interests of shaving history, I am considering leaving this KR7 completely intact, that is, just the way it is: no re-loft. There is something about the original integrity that appeals to me more than creating a kind of Frankenbrush, even if a re-loft was to be provided by today's Simpson. I'm sure they'd do a superb job. Smile

Do others agree that in the interests of Simpson shaving history, I should leave this KR7 just the way it is?

0 2,095
 04-10-2019, 02:43 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
For the record (and from a previous thread) this is another exceedingly rare Simpson (MF8), worthy of posting due to vague similarities in this range of gorgeous brushes. 

[Image: KHwwKMf.png]

0 2,095
 04-11-2019, 02:30 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-10-2019, 12:45 PM)Shaun Wrote: Very nice comparison, Scott; thank you for posting the picture of the ASM4.  I agree the KR7 is certainly the forerunner here, and of others in that family of Simpsons. 

I hardly need another brush to use, and in the interests of shaving history, I am considering leaving this KR7 completely intact, that is, just the way it is: no re-loft. There is something about the original integrity that appeals to me more than creating a kind of Frankenbrush, even if a re-loft was to be provided by today's Simpson. I'm sure they'd do a superb job. Smile

Do others agree that in the interests of Simpson shaving history, I should leave this KR7 just the way it is?

If you don't plan to use it, and seeing as any current knot, no matter how good it is, will certainly be of a very different grade of hair, I'd certainly keep the brush as is.

Out of curiosity, what's the knot size on it? It might just be from the picture, but it looks quite big and dense.

26 5,208
 04-11-2019, 04:48 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Out of curiosity, what's the knot size on it? It might just be from the picture, but it looks quite big and dense.
[/quote]

The brush is on delivery hold just now as I’ll be travelling to Tokyo soon. When I return in late April, I’ll measure it up. But yes; looks a broad knot for sure. The real question would be, though... how tall was the loft, and in what shape?

0 2,095
 04-12-2019, 12:11 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-11-2019, 04:48 AM)Shaun Wrote: Out of curiosity, what's the knot size on it? It might just be from the picture, but it looks quite big and dense.

The brush is on delivery hold just now as I’ll be travelling to Tokyo soon. When I return in late April, I’ll measure it up. But yes; looks a broad knot for sure. The real question would be, though... how tall was the loft, and in what shape?
[/quote]

Without exact measurements it's harder to tell, but judging by the pictures, I would say bulbish. Not a full bulb like the older Chubby's 2-Band, but definitely not a fan or even a hybrid knot.

26 5,208
 04-12-2019, 12:59 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Yes, agreed. If you look at the image of the MF8 above, you'll see a narrower knot tends to signify a taller fan shape, which is good for bowl lathering (IMO). A broader knot: bulb. Someone, somewhere, may have an intact KR7, so only time will tell.

Here's are Dave's precursors (scroll down a bit). Note the AS2M and AS3M, bottom left:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=19976&page=3

0 2,095
 04-26-2019, 10:30 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-12-2019, 12:59 PM)Shaun Wrote: Yes, agreed. If you look at the image of the MF8 above, you'll see a narrower knot tends to signify a taller fan shape, which is good for bowl lathering (IMO). A broader knot: bulb. Someone, somewhere, may have an intact KR7, so only time will tell.

Here's are Dave's precursors (scroll down a bit). Note the AS2M and AS3M, bottom left:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=19976&page=3

I did, you're right. Oh and Dave's collection is truly impressive... Damn!

26 5,208
 04-26-2019, 04:41 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Hello David (and Dave)

I have now received the KR7, and it is a very serious and chunky handle indeed.
  • Knot 28mm
  • Handle height 56mm
  • Shoulder width 39mm
Ergonomically, it sits perfectly in my fingers/hand; you might be able to see that in the picture below. This picture is followed by a shot of the slightly concave base, and then, for comparison, standing next to a modern Duke 2 (21mm knot)

[Image: RFH0K2N.jpg]
[Image: yUO0We5.jpg]
[Image: uu9IrOJ.jpg]

0 2,095
 04-27-2019, 10:11 AM
User Info
(04-26-2019, 04:41 PM)Shaun Wrote: Hello David (and Dave)

I have now received the KR7, and it is a very serious and chunky handle indeed.

• Knot 28mm
  • Handle height 56mm
  • Shoulder width 39mm
Ergonomically, it sits perfectly in my fingers/hand; you might be able to see that in the picture below. This picture is followed by a shot of the slightly concave base, and then, for comparison, standing next to a modern Duke 2 (21mm knot)

[Image: RFH0K2N.jpg]
[Image: yUO0We5.jpg]
[Image: uu9IrOJ.jpg]

That is a terrific handle. IMO, I would remove the knot and replace it with a Declaration Grooming 28mm. Then USE it and enjoy it.

63 5,173
 04-27-2019, 02:57 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Possibly. Better if I could find an Australia outlet/supplier Wink

0 2,095
 05-02-2019, 05:19 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(04-10-2019, 12:45 PM)Shaun Wrote: Very nice comparison, Scott; thank you for posting the picture of the ASM4.  I agree the KR7 is certainly the forerunner here, and of others in that family of Simpsons. 

Yes, I agree.  I feel the same way about vintage automobiles having seen far too many turned into hot rods (Frankencars?)  They lose much of their original charm.

4 842
 05-02-2019, 05:42 AM
User Info
That AS4M looks familiar. SOTD over New Years week. 

I am a firm believer of saving some items, not all, but some for the next generation. It is a big responsibility being a caretaker for items that are not that common. Razors and brushes that are more commonly available need to be used and enjoyed. Rare birds do need to be saved

[Image: 7g2Q8GB.jpg]

8 243