04-09-2019, 12:45 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
A few years ago I was looking for a 2 band knot for a handle that I had. I researched about 6 knots, eliminated the Maggard after reading reviews. This knot was reviewed on having soft tips but was soft on backbone and density. Lets Fast forward a few years and Maggard came out with a new knot called the SHD (Super High Density). 

I looked for reviews and found in most reviews there was more useless conversation than actual reviews of the knot. I didn't want to wait so I took a shot and purchased a 26 (opening 27) and a WW with a 24 (opening 25) SHD that was being sold on Maggard's website. The day before I purchased the 24 I had already sent out the 26 to Elite to be put into one of Bobs handles, so the 24 was my first experience with this knot.

What I want in a knot is soft tips in varying degree's from soft tip presence to cotton soft no tip presence, backbone, medium to strong backbone with good density, I want the full luxurious soft massage lathering experience.

The WW 24 knot is set at 25 x 50 has very soft tips with very moderate backbone which most people would love, its a lovely knot and for years these characteristics were the standard set by Thater and Shavmac (M&F had more density tip feel varied) but this Maggard knot is not for me. When Bob sent back the 26 (27 x 49) this was now a totally different animal. The tip softness was there but now with medium backbone and nice density, I'm very happy with this knot in Bobs handle. This knot has a nice soft tip fullness on my face in its lathering, this knot delivers a good relaxing face massage, at this loft this knot has nice character

There are people who have stated that this knot is slightly below the level of Elite and other knots, I disagree. I remember when Bob's 2 band came out and he also got the same reviews from some people, now people look at his knot as one of the standards to compare other knots too. For the time being, I feel this brush/knot will go in my rotation with the Paladin's, Elite's, Romera's, Declarations, yes all my brushes are slightly different with their own personalities and this brush/knot belongs with them. 

[Image: KbYw5UN.jpg]

[Image: 2xSpnxy.jpg]

61 773
 04-09-2019, 01:43 PM
User Info
Very nice but I am a longtime fan of Bob’s knots and I was just wondering why you didn’t just go with his 2 band Manchurian fan. Is the cost difference that much? I am going to take a look at these knots shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 1,428
 04-09-2019, 02:28 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
That Elite handle is sweet. I have to admit that I would feel like I was insulting Bob by asking him to set that knot into one of his handles, but if you like it you don't have to satisfy any of us. The weird thing is I wouldn't feel funny at all if I sent Bob a Shavemac knot.

17 961
 04-09-2019, 02:43 PM
User Info
(04-09-2019, 02:28 PM)Puma Wrote: That Elite handle is sweet. I have to admit that I would feel like I was insulting Bob by asking him to set that knot into one of his handles, but if you like it you don't have to satisfy any of us. The weird thing is I wouldn't feel funny at all if I sent Bob a Shavemac knot.

I totally agree with you on this. I have at least 12-15 of Bob’s knots set in various brushes that I have sent him. I also own 4-5 specialty brushes that he has done and and love his brushes and knots. I also own several Declaration knotted brushes and lately have been purchasing a bunch of Grizzly Bay handles with 26mm 2 band Fanchurian knots by thatdarnrob. All of that being said, all of my brushes with Bob’s knots are top notch. His are just under my Declaration knots and just a hair better than the Fanchurian knots. I think his prices are great for the quality of knot he offers.

4 1,428
 04-09-2019, 03:22 PM
User Info
Maggard SHD knots are my favorite knots right now regardless of price point , declaration is a even second , both are at the top for me.

85 1,764
 04-09-2019, 05:21 PM
User Info
The 24mm - 28mm is out of stock at Maggards. It’ll be interesting to see what the new shipment is like..

31 418
 04-09-2019, 05:54 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
The nice thing is there are some wonderful knots out there and as time go by more knots appear, the is why I have puchases a number or beautiful handles with out knot. Now getting back to the SHD knot it's a nice knot at a good price which broadens the field of choices, it,s a win, win for all of us.

My only issue is as a consumer I want to read reviews to I can make an informed decision on a knot to put into a handle. Now if I do not like the knot Rudy V will remove it from the handle for me.

61 773
 06-21-2019, 02:52 PM
User Info
Very nice brush , I am interested in trying out a SHD knots after seeing a review Ruds did

0 79
 06-21-2019, 03:01 PM
User Info
Since April I have purchased 6-8 Maggard SHD knots in various sizes and they are stunning in their performance. Most of mine are 26mm but I do have some 24mm and 1 28mm which is waiting for a handle to arrive. The only issue I have had is that their current shipment has larger glue bumps so the standard 26mm brush can not take their 26mm knot. Hopefully this gets rectified in the next shipment they get.

4 1,428
 06-21-2019, 03:13 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I agree, it's a great knot, IMO.
[Image: IMG-2208-2.jpg]

12 810
 06-21-2019, 03:43 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Are the tips hooked or gelled when wet?

5 584
 06-22-2019, 10:52 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
My comparison with the SHD knot will be with Thater, Shavemac, Brad Sears, El Druida soft tips moderate backbone brushes (I will not use the term Gel tip or Hooked tip. Many knots will display Hooked tips though their softness/tip feel varies from knot to knot). Also I will not compare this knot with Paladin, Elite, Simpson, Romera, Declaration, etc for they have different personalities. Though Romera, Elite as well as other vendors you can buy their knots individually and create your own brush based on your own preferences.

I have a number of handles that I want to put knots into, and I'm in no hurry to do it. So when Maggard came out with its next-gen knot the SHD I wanted to know about it's characteristics. I looked for and read some pretty thin threads at the times, I didn't get the much info so what the heck I purchased a 26 fan knot and a WW 24 fan set at 50. 

I will start with the knot in the WW 24 x 50. This knot had a nice spread, great soft tips but very soft backbone I wasn't happy, for myself I wanted more backbone, the 24 set at 50 was the next step up from a 3 band, that was not what I wanted. Which meant lets put the 26 into one of my Elite handles (wooden and resin) and set the loft at 49-50. When set it came out to 49 ½ the backbone much improved did not lose any of the tip softness, but I still wanted a little more backbone.

I had Leo Frilot make a handle for me out of one of his Ebonite rods and put in a 2nd batch SHD 28 fan (this 2nd batch has a wider dia at the base hairline above the glue plug) this knot set at 51 came out to 30 ½ at the opening. This brush presented great soft tips but the V spread at the head was way too big for me, it is a big brush, the backbone was the same as the Elite 26.

Ok so now I took another Elite wooden handle and set in a 26 bulb (which is a hybrid) that came out to 26 ½ and set the loft at 50 which condensed the hairs of the knot. The tips were not quite as soft as the fan at first (as a bulb the tips of these knots are not always as soft as a fan, so now by condensing the knot the hairs were packed in tighter) but it still had a very soft tip presence and the backbone now was excellent. After 7 shavings the bulb softens up a bit (very nice feel) with a nice bloom.

But still on my quest, I had Leo Frilot make me another Ebonite handle which he put in a 28 SHD fan which came out to 29 and set the loft at 48. This brush had a good strong backbone for a fan and initially, there was not much of a spread (lower loft increased density) the soft tip presence was good but could still be better. It was around the 6th lathering the knot bloomed and the tips now have a soft presence to almost none existence. I feel over the next half dozen lathering's the knot will open up a drop more the tips will get a drops softer and the backbone will stay the same.

Conclusion (this is my opinion through my experience) if you like med-strong backbone with beautiful soft tips or very soft tip presence the 26 or 28 fan set at 48 or if you want a drop less backbone with very soft tips then set the loft at 49 ½ – 50. As far as a bulb with backbone and soft tip presence a 26 set at 50 I would recommend, I believe you will be very happy. If you want moderate to soft backbone extremely soft tips then increase the loft, this knot is very versatile. 

The Maggard knots (hopefully they will continue to have almost the same quality consistency batch after batch) needed some playing around with and now that I understand them, they are as good a knot as you will find anywhere today. The beauty of this knot for many people is that you can create your own individual brush based on your brush preferences. 

To repeat myself, I understand that these knots are a natural material and that there going to be variances in batch hairs which means the next time I or you order a SHD it might not be the same softness/quality as the previous knot. 

WW Yellow 24 x 50 (handle height 58)

Elite resin and wood 26 fan set at 49 ½ (handle height 63) - R

Elite teck 28 bulb set at 50 (handle height 59) - C

Frilot Ebonite Camouflage 28 fan set at 48 (handle height 61) -  L

Frilot Ebonite New York 28 fan (30 ½) set at 51 (handle height 60)

[Image: T6hOHir.jpg]

[Image: zqrq0Cb.jpg]

[Image: Ah9b0Rr.jpg]

61 773
 06-22-2019, 12:25 PM
User Info
(06-22-2019, 10:52 AM)bijou Wrote: My comparison with the SHD knot will be with Thater, Shavemac, Brad Sears, El Druida soft tips moderate backbone brushes (I will not use the term Gel tip or Hooked tip. Many knots will display Hooked tips though their softness/tip feel varies from knot to knot). Also I will not compare this knot with Paladin, Elite, Simpson, Romera, Declaration, etc for they have different personalities. Though Romera, Elite as well as other vendors you can buy their knots individually and create your own brush based on your own preferences.

I have a number of handles that I want to put knots into, and I'm in no hurry to do it. So when Maggard came out with its next-gen knot the SHD I wanted to know about it's characteristics. I looked for and read some pretty thin threads at the times, I didn't get the much info so what the heck I purchased a 26 fan knot and a WW 24 fan set at 50. 

I will start with the knot in the WW 24 x 50. This knot had a nice spread, great soft tips but very soft backbone I wasn't happy, for myself I wanted more backbone, the 24 set at 50 was the next step up from a 3 band, that was not what I wanted. Which meant lets put the 26 into one of my Elite handles (wooden and resin) and set the loft at 49-50. When set it came out to 49 ½ the backbone much improved did not lose any of the tip softness, but I still wanted a little more backbone.

I had Leo Frilot make a handle for me out of one of his Ebonite rods and put in a 2nd batch SHD 28 fan (this 2nd batch has a wider dia at the base hairline above the glue plug) this knot set at 51 came out to 30 ½ at the opening. This brush presented great soft tips but the V spread at the head was way too big for me, it is a big brush, the backbone was the same as the Elite 26.

Ok so now I took another Elite wooden handle and set in a 26 bulb (which is a hybrid) that came out to 26 ½ and set the loft at 50 which condensed the hairs of the knot. The tips were not quite as soft as the fan at first (as a bulb the tips of these knots are not always as soft as a fan, so now by condensing the knot the hairs were packed in tighter) but it still had a very soft tip presence and the backbone now was excellent. After 7 shavings the bulb softens up a bit (very nice feel) with a nice bloom.

But still on my quest, I had Leo Frilot make me another Ebonite handle which he put in a 28 SHD fan which came out to 29 and set the loft at 48. This brush had a good strong backbone for a fan and initially, there was not much of a spread (lower loft increased density) the soft tip presence was good but could still be better. It was around the 6th lathering the knot bloomed and the tips now have a soft presence to almost none existence. I feel over the next half dozen lathering's the knot will open up a drop more the tips will get a drops softer and the backbone will stay the same.

Conclusion (this is my opinion through my experience) if you like med-strong backbone with beautiful soft tips or very soft tip presence the 26 or 28 fan set at 48 or if you want a drop less backbone with very soft tips then set the loft at 49 ½ – 50. As far as a bulb with backbone and soft tip presence a 26 set at 50 I would recommend, I believe you will be very happy. If you want moderate to soft backbone extremely soft tips then increase the loft, this knot is very versatile. 

The Maggard knots (hopefully they will continue to have almost the same quality consistency batch after batch) needed some playing around with and now that I understand them, they are as good a knot as you will find anywhere today. The beauty of this knot for many people is that you can create your own individual brush based on your brush preferences. 

To repeat myself, I understand that these knots are a natural material and that there going to be variances in batch hairs which means the next time I or you order a SHD it might not be the same softness/quality as the previous knot. 

WW Yellow 24 x 50 (handle height 58)

Elite resin and wood 26 fan set at 49 ½ (handle height 63) - R

Elite teck 28 bulb set at 50 (handle height 59) - C

Frilot Ebonite Camouflage 28 fan set at 48 (handle height 61) -  L

Frilot Ebonite New York 28 fan (30 ½) set at 51 (handle height 60)

[Image: T6hOHir.jpg]

[Image: zqrq0Cb.jpg]

[Image: Ah9b0Rr.jpg]

Those look awesome!!

4 1,428
 06-22-2019, 02:06 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Anybody post a picture from the top of the knot? I don’t care if it’s dry or wet. Thanks

5 584
 06-24-2019, 05:11 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
Photos taken early morning under natural light

[Image: 5swq5ij.jpg]

[Image: JWMKSe2.jpg]

61 773
 06-24-2019, 05:20 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
(06-24-2019, 05:11 AM)bijou Wrote: Photos taken early morning under natural light
Thanks for the pix.

66 1,918
 06-24-2019, 07:17 AM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
Ruds Shaves on Youtube has a review of these posted as well just search 'Ruds maggard' it came up first result for me.  A little long but informative.  Around 2:50 he runs finger through the hair from the top for the camera.  They look amazing for the price especially.

103 527
 06-24-2019, 07:56 AM
User Info
Not the best pics but these have all been knotted with Maggard SHD fan knots over the last few months. Most are 26mm and there are a couple 24mm knots in this group.[Image: 6a9c6b9f64e9662be656a100b8dd2e0c.jpg][Image: 5e7389d78997c11e03011eaa795f7600.jpg][Image: fe0fc4b023685d9fd837f23d7f257ff9.jpg]

4 1,428
 06-24-2019, 08:20 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(06-24-2019, 05:11 AM)bijou Wrote: Photos taken early morning under natural light

Those are nice looking knots.  

(06-24-2019, 07:56 AM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Not the best pics but these have all been knotted with Maggard SHD fan knots over the last few months.  Most are 26mm and there are a couple 24mm knots in this group.[Image: 6a9c6b9f64e9662be656a100b8dd2e0c.jpg][Image: 5e7389d78997c11e03011eaa795f7600.jpg][Image: fe0fc4b023685d9fd837f23d7f257ff9.jpg]

Great looking brushes.  I really like the second brush from the far right.  It looks very industrial.

12 2,206
 06-24-2019, 09:28 AM
User Info
(06-24-2019, 08:20 AM)Sully Wrote:

Those are nice looking knots.  

(06-24-2019, 07:56 AM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Not the best pics but these have all been knotted with Maggard SHD fan knots over the last few months.  Most are 26mm and there are a couple 24mm knots in this group.[Image: 6a9c6b9f64e9662be656a100b8dd2e0c.jpg][Image: 5e7389d78997c11e03011eaa795f7600.jpg][Image: fe0fc4b023685d9fd837f23d7f257ff9.jpg]

Great looking brushes.  I really like the second brush from the far right.  It looks very industrial.

That’s a solid Brass knot and I cannot remember the maker but it is weighty!

4 1,428