04-09-2019, 11:34 PM
User Info
Dear All,

I recently placed an order for Martin De Candre (Rose) shaving soap on "Theenglishshavingcompany" website. Anyone who have used this soap, Can you please provide the feed back on the performance. I have the original unscented MDC shaving soap. Since the rose version is 10 pounds more than the original one, Is there any difference with respect to the performance. Honestly i really don't care much about the scent.

Regards
Suresh

0 8
 04-09-2019, 11:41 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Performance is the same

39 1,621
 04-10-2019, 03:13 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(04-09-2019, 11:41 PM)Snuff Wrote: Performance is the same

That is also my experience.

12 2,409
 04-10-2019, 05:14 AM
User Info
I have tried all of the scents ecxept for unscented. For me, the performance was the same for all except for the vetiver.  The vetiver was richer and creamier and gave me an even better shave than the others.

60 312
 04-10-2019, 05:52 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Performance is the same, and I find the scent artificial. There are many other rose scents that I much prefer.

39 6,296
 04-10-2019, 07:18 AM
User Info
I love the scent and love the performance.

1 644
 04-10-2019, 12:54 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Performance is the same. It has a good bit of benzoin resin in it along with the rose, and if you don’t care for the benzoin just leave the lid off and it will gradually decrease in strength leaving you with a nice light (and very good) rose. Same for the original too.

9 843
 04-10-2019, 01:23 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(04-10-2019, 12:54 PM)Steve56 Wrote: Performance is the same. It has a good bit of benzoin resin in it along with the rose, and if you don’t care for the benzoin just leave the lid off and it will gradually decrease in strength leaving you with a nice light (and very good) rose. Same for the original too.

When they first came out, the Rose soap did have a blast of benzoin in it... which is why I sold it, to be honest... for me it did not mix well (even though I like rose and I like benzoin... but apparently, I don't like them together).

Recently, I wanted to try it again, and I'm glad I did because now the benzoin is not in there.

98 4,143
 04-10-2019, 03:45 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
(04-10-2019, 01:23 PM)Nero Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 12:54 PM)Steve56 Wrote: Performance is the same. It has a good bit of benzoin resin in it along with the rose, and if you don’t care for the benzoin just leave the lid off and it will gradually decrease in strength leaving you with a nice light (and very good) rose. Same for the original too.

When they first came out, the Rose soap did have a blast of benzoin in it... which is why I sold it, to be honest... for me it did not mix well (even though I like rose and I like benzoin... but apparently, I don't like them together).

Recently, I wanted to try it again, and I'm glad I did because now the benzoin is not in there.

Is this the latest/current version with the new graphics Matt?

9 843
 04-10-2019, 05:05 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(04-10-2019, 03:45 PM)Steve56 Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 01:23 PM)Nero Wrote:

Is this the latest/current version with the new graphics Matt?
Yes sir!

Btw, anyone else ever notice that the LE soaps actually have a serial number on the box?

[Image: 3f28c1751eab271d0e4e0dcd72d49d75.jpg][Image: e597bde075dedf2bf2764ee1df874362.jpg]

98 4,143
 04-11-2019, 06:39 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Yes, I have vetyver #339! But my last gen rose and agrumes are not numbered.

About that benzoin.... a reviewer on the English Shaving Co site says that the new version has benzoin in it. But what does he know, right?

So I called Martin de Candre this morning and asked. The nice lady on the other end did not know, and suggested that I send an email which I did. I’ll keep the thread updated if I get a reply. 

She did say that bezoin, which is a tree resin like cade, helped hold the scent and was an astringent which helped healing if you nick yourself, etc. I can detect none in the unscented, agrumes, or vetyver, and do not believe that it is in the fougere (though there may be some in the fougere bath soap). The original and I’m pretty sure my version of the rose have it, though I’ve aired my rose out a bit and it’s much less prominent. MdC does recommend leaving the soaps uncovered, but I’m sure they are not considering a shave soap rotation in which the soap may only get used once/week or less.

Cheers, Steve

[Image: Aj41EyH.jpg]

9 843
 04-11-2019, 06:50 AM
User Info
I had one of the original run of MdC rose and also found the benzoin too strong, didn't work at all to my nose. Great news if the latest one's don't have it.

4 354
 04-11-2019, 07:56 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(04-11-2019, 06:39 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Yes, I have vetyver #339! But my last gen rose and agrumes are not numbered.

About that benzoin.... a reviewer on the English Shaving Co site says that the new version has benzoin in it. But what does he know, right?

So I called Martin de Candre this morning and asked. The nice lady on the other end did not know, and suggested that I send an email which I did. I’ll keep the thread updated if I get a reply. 

She did say that bezoin, which is a tree resin like cade, helped hold the scent and was an astringent which helped healing if you nick yourself, etc. I can detect none in the unscented, agrumes, or vetyver, and do not believe that it is in the fougere (though there may be some in the fougere bath soap). The original and I’m pretty sure my version of the rose have it, though I’ve aired my rose out a bit and it’s much less prominent. MdC does recommend leaving the soaps uncovered, but I’m sure they are not considering a shave soap rotation in which the soap may only get used once/week or less.

Cheers, Steve

[Image: Aj41EyH.jpg]

If the benzoin is still there in the new Rose ones then it's much more subdued than it was in my previous jar... I don't detect it in the new ones.

I agree that the Fougere bath soap does contain benzoin (whereas the shave soap does not, or has much less).

98 4,143
 04-13-2019, 09:15 AM
User Info
(04-09-2019, 11:34 PM)surileo Wrote: Since the rose version is 10 pounds more than the original one, Is there any difference with respect to the performance.

The reason that Rose is the most expensive of the varieties that MdC offers is that they use an expensive rose essential oil. You are paying extra for the quality of the fragrance, but otherwise, the formulation is exactly the same. It does not perform any differently than any of the other soaps in MdC's lineup.

4 224
 04-13-2019, 03:30 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
THD is correct, rose oil is insanely expensive. I have a friend in Bulgaria where some of the best rose oil comes from, and he says that the entire ‘crop’ is sold to the big perfume houses before it’s ever produced.

9 843
 04-23-2019, 10:28 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I received a reply from Isabelle, the rose soap does have benzoin in it. For the French speakers,

" Effectivement, le parfum du savon à la Rose est fixé avec du Benjoin. Nous sommes savonniers et parfumeurs, ce qui signifie que nous réalisons notre saponification et composons nos parfums à partir d'huiles essentielles, que l'on fixe au moyen de résines d'arbres appelées aussi baumes ( famille des Styrax et des Myroxilons). C'est la méthode traditionnelle, dite" à l'ancienne", pour "fixer" une odeur, un parfum, c'est à dire pour pouvoir le conserver parfaitement sans qu'il ne soit dénaturé. Evidemment, la quantité de Benjoin est infime par rapport à la quantité de pâte à savon qui reçoit le parfum. Depuis des siècles en tout cas, le Benjoin a été utilisé par les parfumeurs; il a souvent été associé à l'encens. Il est présent par exemple dans le papier d'Arménie...."

If you don’t like the benzoin, just leave the lid off and it will dissipate fairly quickly. On the card enclosed with the shaving soaps, they recommend for extending the life of the soap, ‘’ne le refermez pas: plus il est à l’air, plus il sèche.’ or don’t (re)cover: the more it airs, the more it dries.

9 843
 04-23-2019, 02:01 PM
User Info
(04-10-2019, 05:52 AM)evnpar Wrote: Performance is the same, and I find the scent artificial. There are many other rose scents that I much prefer.
Signs011 
Try Noble Otter Nectar Amissa. Much nicer and FAR less expensive. Better soap too.

84 6,354
 04-25-2019, 09:32 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(04-23-2019, 10:28 AM)Steve56 Wrote: I received a reply from Isabelle, the rose soap does have benzoin in it. For the French speakers,

" Effectivement, le parfum du savon à la Rose est fixé avec du Benjoin. Nous sommes savonniers et parfumeurs, ce qui signifie que nous réalisons notre saponification et composons nos parfums à partir d'huiles essentielles, que l'on fixe au moyen de résines d'arbres appelées aussi baumes ( famille des Styrax et des Myroxilons). C'est la méthode traditionnelle, dite" à l'ancienne", pour "fixer" une odeur, un parfum, c'est à dire pour pouvoir le conserver parfaitement sans qu'il ne soit dénaturé. Evidemment, la quantité de Benjoin est infime par rapport à la quantité de pâte à savon qui reçoit le parfum. Depuis des siècles en tout cas, le Benjoin a été utilisé par les parfumeurs; il a souvent été associé à l'encens. Il est présent par exemple dans le papier d'Arménie...."

If you don’t like the benzoin, just leave the lid off and it will dissipate fairly quickly. On the card enclosed with the shaving soaps, they recommend for extending the life of the soap, ‘’ne le refermez pas: plus il est à l’air, plus il sèche.’ or don’t (re)cover: the more it airs, the more it dries.

Steve, I saw this earlier but didn't have time to translate then. Just did now though. Thanks for sharing.

In the more recent version I have, they must have toned down the benzoin in production or they already left off the lid longer than my previous jar during curing bc I haven't smelled benzoin in the new one. (Maybe with the temperatures warming up now in spring, the benzoin note may come out, we shall see.)

98 4,143
 04-26-2019, 12:48 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Hey Matt,

It could just be that they didn’t get a perfect mix. I have a glass-jar fougere that’s stronger in scent than most. They use a commercial bread dough machine to make the soap, and I imagine that the mix is not always 100% uniform, so one jar’s scent may be slightly stronger or weaker than another, but IME, they’re pretty darned consistent!

9 843
 04-27-2019, 07:08 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(04-26-2019, 12:48 PM)Steve56 Wrote: Hey Matt,

It could just be that they didn’t get a perfect mix. I have a glass-jar fougere that’s stronger in scent than most. They use a commercial bread dough machine to make the soap, and I imagine that the mix is not always 100% uniform, so one jar’s scent may be slightly stronger or weaker than another, but IME, they’re pretty darned consistent!
Hi Steve, I actually like it much better bc I don't want to smell the benzoin. I sold my first jar last summer bc of the benzoin scent. Intentional or accidental, I prefer my new jar with only rose coming through Biggrin

98 4,143