04-13-2019, 05:32 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
How do you choose your razor and blade combo when it’s time for a fresh blade?

If you’re strictly a one-blade-brand-only shaver you probably haven’t asked yourself this question in some time. Likewise, one-razor-only shavers have fewer decisions to make as well. And then there are those shavers who have settled on just one razor and blade combination and are perfectly happy with that, too. But really, how many of us have actually settled on just one setup in perpetuity? If you’re in that category I applaud your decisiveness. Most of us however, have multiple razors and blades that we enjoy using in a rotation. The combinations can be nearly endless if you’ve even just dipped one big toe in either of the AD rabbit holes.

The dilemma doesn’t apply to my injectors, as I’ve settled strictly on a particular type I / Chick combination. I knew after just a few Personna injector blades, they weren’t for me, and made the decision to stick with the Chinese made Schicks. Those who use GEM/ER razors and PTFE Personnas also have fewer decisions to make in terms of which blade to use.

I’m figuring that DE and AC users make razor/blade decisions more often. I’ve never tried an AC razor, but I do have quite a few DE razors and blades I like using in rotation. There are days when I gaze at my razor stands, and know easily which razor is up. That’s usually my case. But today the blade gods were whispering to me. I just knew that a Lab Blue was on deck, yet was completely indecisive on the razor. The razor gods haven’t spoken to me today. That was an hour ago. I still don’t know what I’ll use for today’s shave. Maybe it’ll come to me in a while.

So how do you decide?

(Yes, I sometimes have too much time on my hands)

15 3,609
 04-13-2019, 05:52 AM
User Info
I really haven't gotten into the whole blade thing.  I know that Gillette Silver Blues work really well for me and my face no matter what razor I'm using.  Same can be said for Voskhods, although not quite as well as the GSBs.  I tried some Personna Platinum (Red Israeli) blades and find they are not as smooth as the other two so once I use them up, I won't be getting more.  I have several tucks of Feather blades but for whatever reason haven't used more than one of the blades.  I'm going to have to start using them to see how they work for me.  And there is a thread here about some "new" Gillette blades that supposedly replace the original "Swedes".  They say Gillette Platinum on the packaging but the colors and background are different from the Gillette Platinums I've always known.  So I've written to Gillette to see if I can get the story on those new blades.  Otherwise, beyond those I've mentioned I'm kind of satisfied with my blade choices and haven't been bitten by the bug to try every blade out there for some reason.  Who knows.  Maybe I'll hit tryablade and order one tuck of every blade I've heard good things about yet haven't tried.  So, I guess this all just means my decision each morning of what blade to use is a pretty easy and uninvolved one.  I have to say that my biggest decision each morning is what soap or cream to use.  Not there's a decision that gives me angst.

2 325
 04-13-2019, 05:54 AM
User Info
Next razor is "simply" the next one in my rotation; I've got them grouped by common traits (SE vs DE, open vs closed comb, three piece vs butterflies, adjustable vs non-adjustable) and follow the sequence rigidly unless I'm travelling.

Next blade is based on the concept of "open tuck". I only keep one tuck of blades of each kind (DE, GEM, injector) in the bathroom at a time. And since I've gotten to the point where all the blades I own works in every razor, it's more or less random which I grab when I replace the tuck.

3 6,500
 04-13-2019, 05:58 AM
User Info
I choose randomly at the time  - no scientific method, no math.
4 razors made the finals, 2 rarely get playing time. 
3 blades and 1 rarely gets off the bench.
Now for brushes...

62 1,500
 04-13-2019, 06:11 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-13-2019, 05:52 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I really haven't gotten into the whole blade thing.  I know that Gillette Silver Blues work really well for me and my face no matter what razor I'm using.  Same can be said for Voskhods, although not quite as well as the GSBs.  I tried some Personna Platinum (Red Israeli) blades and find they are not as smooth as the other two so once I use them up, I won't be getting more.  I have several tucks of Feather blades but for whatever reason haven't used more than one of the blades.  I'm going to have to start using them to see how they work for me.  And there is a thread here about some "new" Gillette blades that supposedly replace the original "Swedes".  They say Gillette Platinum on the packaging but the colors and background are different from the Gillette Platinums I've always known.  So I've written to Gillette to see if I can get the story on those new blades.  Otherwise, beyond those I've mentioned I'm kind of satisfied with my blade choices and haven't been bitten by the bug to try every blade out there for some reason.  Who knows.  Maybe I'll hit tryablade and order one tuck of every blade I've heard good things about yet haven't tried.  So, I guess this all just means my decision each morning of what blade to use is a pretty easy and uninvolved one.  I have to say that my biggest decision each morning is what soap or cream to use.  Not there's a decision that gives me angst.

Y’see, now that decision doesn’t flummox my shave brain. It’s a no-brainer Biggrin

(04-13-2019, 05:54 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Next razor is "simply" the next one in my rotation; I've got them grouped by common traits (SE vs DE, open vs closed comb, three piece vs butterflies, adjustable vs non-adjustable) and follow the sequence rigidly unless I'm travelling.

Next blade is based on the concept of "open tuck". I only keep one tuck of blades of each kind (DE, GEM, injector) in the bathroom at a time. And since I've gotten to the point where all the blades I own works in every razor, it's more or less random which I grab when I replace the tuck.

Yes, me too. All the DE blades I’ve settled on work well for me in all my razors. That’s why I’m so confused today!

(04-13-2019, 05:58 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: I choose randomly at the time  - no scientific method, no math.
4 razors made the finals, 2 rarely get playing time. 
3 blades and 1 rarely gets off the bench.
Now for brushes...

Despite a relatively large rotation, for some reason I always seem to know which brush is up next.
Are you still using your Evolution, Jack?

15 3,609
 04-13-2019, 06:47 AM
User Info
I got 17 razors, really only using the RS-10. DE blades, I got maybe a dozen brands, I just grab one (except for ONE horrible brand
that I can't throw or give away)and shave. I'm trying to use up and trim down to two or three blade brands....I could go down to one brand
in the far, far future.... Tongue

1 1,073
 04-13-2019, 06:50 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Ok, so here is today’s lineup. Lab Blue with E1 Red Tip, SOC 2 band, B&M Diamond, Osma alum followed by a generous splash of Dickinson’s. Here I go Biggrin

15 3,609
 04-13-2019, 07:00 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I only have one brand of blades at a time. On top of that I only use one blade at a time. After every shave, I remove the blade and clean the razor. I then set the razor and blade aside separately. Next time I use a DE, I place the blade in a different razor. 

I mostly use straights these days. I go through about 5-6 DE blades per year.

100 1,934
 04-13-2019, 11:00 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I have 14 vintage blades in my rotation  and 9 razors, three of which are inheritance razors from my dad and grandfather. Love them all. I've  been keeping a daily shaving log since 2013 listing everything  I used, how many passes,( always three so why do I bother?) How many weepers, the results, ( again always either BBS or extraordinarily BBS which I  shorthand as BBS2 or squared) etc. So I  try to keep a shuffle going but there's no set order. In the end I go by what I feel like using.

8 2,644
 04-13-2019, 11:09 AM
User Info
(04-13-2019, 06:11 AM)chazt Wrote: [quote='MntnMan62' pid='915017' dateline='1555163527']
I really haven't gotten into the whole blade thing.  I know that Gillette Silver Blues work really well for me and my face no matter what razor I'm using.  Same can be said for Voskhods, although not quite as well as the GSBs.  I tried some Personna Platinum (Red Israeli) blades and find they are not as smooth as the other two so once I use them up, I won't be getting more.  I have several tucks of Feather blades but for whatever reason haven't used more than one of the blades.  I'm going to have to start using them to see how they work for me.  And there is a thread here about some "new" Gillette blades that supposedly replace the original "Swedes".  They say Gillette Platinum on the packaging but the colors and background are different from the Gillette Platinums I've always known.  So I've written to Gillette to see if I can get the story on those new blades.  Otherwise, beyond those I've mentioned I'm kind of satisfied with my blade choices and haven't been bitten by the bug to try every blade out there for some reason.  Who knows.  Maybe I'll hit tryablade and order one tuck of every blade I've heard good things about yet haven't tried.  So, I guess this all just means my decision each morning of what blade to use is a pretty easy and uninvolved one.  I have to say that my biggest decision each morning is what soap or cream to use.  Not there's a decision that gives me angst.

Y’see, now that decision doesn’t flummox my shave brain. It’s a no-brainer Biggrin

Do you have a ton of soaps and creams or just a couple? I have 50 and they are all open. I changes soaps/creams daily depending upon my mood. That decision can be quite difficult some days and very easy others.

2 325
 04-13-2019, 11:57 AM
User Info
I had over 50 soaps. The wife had enough. Now soaps are fewer than 10. Decisions, combinations decreased dramatically. I hope everyone enjoyed the pifs.

62 1,500
 04-13-2019, 03:17 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I was never a "buy the sample lots of 5 blade packs" person.  My mainstay is Personna Med Preps.  I will try specific blades in specific razors based on forum recommendations (just purchased Feather blades for my Pils).   I will try some blades included with razors.

16 807
 04-13-2019, 03:24 PM
User Info
Feather pro-super in the Asylum rx. Feather pro in the att SE1. Two razors, two blades keeps it simple Smile

35 1,863
 04-13-2019, 05:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-13-2019, 06:47 AM)zipper Wrote: I got 17 razors, really only using the RS-10. DE blades, I got maybe a dozen brands, I just grab one (except for ONE horrible brand
that I can't throw or give away)and shave. I'm trying to use up and trim down to two or three blade brands....I could go down to one brand
in the far, far future.... Tongue

What would it be? Mine’s Israeli Personna.

15 3,609
 04-13-2019, 05:26 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-13-2019, 07:00 AM)Gabe Wrote: After every shave, I remove the blade and clean the razor. I then set the razor and blade aside separately. Next time I use a DE, I place the blade in a different razor. 

Yes, I do this as well. Often, hell, who am I kidding, I also always rinse the blade and palm strop it too. I generally put that clean and dry blade back in the same razor, or another razor depending on how that last shave feels. My skin seems to know which razor should be up next.

15 3,609
 04-13-2019, 07:07 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-13-2019, 11:09 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: Do you have a ton of soaps and creams or just a couple? I have 50 and they are all open. I changes soaps/creams daily depending upon my mood. That decision can be quite difficult some days and very easy others.

Open soaps, probably about a dozen. Backups, maybe about two dozen. Approximately. Most of the time though, it’s unscented. Not too much thinking involved. I keep two tubs of unscented going until I use one up, then I take another one out of storage. Sprinkle in the occasional scented soap every so often and I’m good to go.

15 3,609
 04-13-2019, 07:11 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-13-2019, 03:17 PM)SCOV Wrote: I was never a "buy the sample lots of 5 blade packs" person.  My mainstay is Personna Med Preps.  I will try specific blades in specific razors based on forum recommendations (just purchased Feather blades for my Pils).   I will try some blades included with razors.
Yeah, I think I may have bought a sampler early on. Med Preps make regular appearances, but my mainstays are Israeli Personnas and Crystals.

(04-13-2019, 03:24 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Feather pro-super in the Asylum rx. Feather pro in the att SE1. Two razors, two blades keeps it simple Smile
No DEs, Mike?

15 3,609
 04-13-2019, 07:19 PM
User Info
(04-13-2019, 07:07 PM)chazt Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 11:09 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: Do you have a ton of soaps and creams or just a couple?  I have 50 and they are all open.  I changes soaps/creams daily depending upon my mood.  That decision can be quite difficult some days and very easy others.

Open soaps, probably about a dozen. Backups, maybe about two dozen. Approximately. Most of the time though, it’s unscented. Not too much thinking involved. I keep two tubs of unscented going until I use one up, then I take another one out of storage. Sprinkle in the occasional scented soap every so often and I’m good to go.

Ah.  Unscented.  Now that makes sense to me.  I'm a scent whore.  Scent for me is a big part of my shave.  So before each shave I have to decide what I'm in the mood for.  Sometimes it's a very easy decision.  Other times when I'm less decisive, I'll stand there at the den scratching my head for a while before I can make up my mind.  Agonizing.  Or brain dead.  Take your pick.  And I'll be dropping the blades off at the PO Monday morning.   Thumbsup

2 325
 04-13-2019, 10:49 PM
User Info
(04-13-2019, 07:11 PM)chazt Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 03:17 PM)SCOV Wrote: I was never a "buy the sample lots of 5 blade packs" person.  My mainstay is Personna Med Preps.  I will try specific blades in specific razors based on forum recommendations (just purchased Feather blades for my Pils).   I will try some blades included with razors.
Yeah, I think I may have bought a sampler early on. Med Preps make regular appearances, but my mainstays are Israeli Personnas and Crystals.

(04-13-2019, 03:24 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Feather pro-super in the Asylum rx. Feather pro in the att SE1. Two razors, two blades keeps it simple Smile
No DEs, Mike?

No de’s. When I did, it was GSB’s and personna reds.

35 1,863
 04-17-2019, 01:58 AM
User Info
(04-13-2019, 07:00 AM)Gabe Wrote: After every shave, I remove the blade and clean the razor. I then set the razor and blade aside separately. Next time I use a DE, I place the blade in a different razor. 

I am fairly new at DE shaving but I do the same thing. Mostly because my OCD tendencies won't allow me to leave the blade in the razor.

1 332