09-16-2012, 10:42 PM
User Info
I was out cologne shopping at the mall this weekend (Why can't Amazon or Phil have scented websites?!) and stumbled into The Body Shop. I don't know why I went in, I literally had to force myself to go in; I think it had been 3 years since I went in... I have never liked that place, never liked their cream, and didn't like being bugged buy their pesky clerks.

Go in, get bugged by 2 of their clerks, not really interested in anything, I wound up having one of them ask me if I had any questions every 5 seconds, and was starting to get annoyed.

I found a scent I actually liked called "Activist" turned the tides and harassed the clerk, she wound up being a cute blonde named Savannah.

I also said what the hell and picked up the Maca Root cream to try again, I never liked it and thought it was just "Off".

Fast forward to today's shave, and boy, I don't know if 3 years ago I just had a bad sample or what, but did I ever have a great shave, the Maca Root cream really reminds me of Wars, with a much better scent.

Seems like I now have quite a few reasons to go back, well that and she told me to, haha. Wink

I recommend trying at least the tube of cream, for $10 its as good as Trumpers, might even have better skin care, but I'm going to spend the week with it before I go so far as make that claim.

[Image: sotd9162012.jpg]

0 652
 09-16-2012, 10:47 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Can't comment on the EdT but the macca cream is outstanding, acquired taste though.

88 4,233
 09-16-2012, 10:50 PM
User Info
(09-16-2012, 10:47 PM)beartrap Wrote: Can't comment on the EdT but the macca cream is outstanding, acquired taste though.

Very much so, I'm not sure if I just had a bad sample, or if my nose actually changed.

The EdT reminds me of dry blackberries and spice.

0 652
 09-16-2012, 11:26 PM
User Info
Maybe you matured in your tastes?

9 2,988
 09-17-2012, 12:17 AM
User Info
(09-16-2012, 11:26 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Maybe you matured in your tastes?

Or perhaps I'm going backwards, lol, the Maca Root is a modernish type scent, nothing like anything you find from the British/Italian creams.

0 652
 09-17-2012, 12:24 AM
User Info
The Maca Root cream isn't bad, and served me well before I stumbled over traditional wetshaving - I could never stand canned goo and used a cheap Body Shop brush along with their cream for close to twenty years.

Can't say I like their aftershaves and splashes though, but YMMV and all that Biggrin

3 3,578
 09-17-2012, 12:45 AM
User Info
It is in my regular rotation of shaving creams "excellent cream" value for money and best still available anywhere.

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 09-17-2012, 12:58 AM
  • madmedic
  • Resistance is Futile
  • Brecon UK
User Info
The Activist has been around for a few years and I like it. A few months ago TBS has a very good web promotion ...so I bought the Activist along with their White Musk and Kistna EDTs.

1 561
 09-17-2012, 01:17 AM
User Info
TBS's EdT's didn't seem bad at all there's a couple others I might go back and resniff, but the Activist stood out; they seem to be on par with Bigelow's, but not nearly as nice as L'Occitane's.

0 652
 09-17-2012, 03:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You just never know what little surprises await us in the most unlikely places. I hardly go to malls anymore but if I across a Body Shop I will definitely it a try.

100 12,445
 09-17-2012, 03:35 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen:

I find Macca Root to be a good cream. I don't compare soaps and creams; rather, I take each for what it is. Lather, glide and cushion work well with this cream. I like the scent, too. Recently I set up my daughter with DE razor, brush and cream — Macca Root. She likes the cream and the scent. Is Macca Root as good as Xpec — my preferred cream — or some of the other top creams? As I noted, I take each product for what it is.

132 2,614
 09-17-2012, 04:04 AM
User Info
(09-17-2012, 03:32 AM)slantman Wrote: You just never know what little surprises await us in the most unlikely places. I hardly go to malls anymore but if I across a Body Shop I will definitely it a try.

You have no idea, the stuff is a bargain, and I really don't understand what happened years ago with me not liking it, I'm think most likely it had to do with the fact you can't go into their store without being swarmed and left alone; I guess I got lucky this time and wound up meeting a rather nice lady and went home with underrated products. Cool

0 652
 09-17-2012, 07:00 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-16-2012, 10:42 PM)Sodapopjones Wrote: I recommend trying at least the tube of cream, for $10 its as good as Trumpers, might even have better skin care, but I'm going to spend the week with it before I go so far as make that claim.

Hi Aaron

That's good to hear and nice to hear offers chipping in with "positive" remarks...

Similar to yourself, last month I happened to be passing by a Body Shop and decided to pop in and see what they had on offer for men. I ended up walking out of there with a tub of For Men Maca Root Shave Cream, haven't tried it yet, but I will now (as part of tomorrow's shave). I like the scent, to me (I'm pretty much useless when it comes to describing scents) it has a very pleasant, light spice smell...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 09-17-2012, 02:12 PM
User Info
Aaron, thanks for the sharing. i have not tried the Body Shop products. i have only used Kiss My Face creams which are quite good.

75 20,883
 09-18-2012, 07:10 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(09-17-2012, 07:00 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Similar to yourself, last month I happened to be passing by a Body Shop and decided to pop in and see what they had on offer for men. I ended up walking out of there with a tub of For Men Maca Root Shave Cream, haven't tried it yet, but I will now (as part of tomorrow's shave). I like the scent, to me (I'm pretty much useless when it comes to describing scents) it has a very pleasant, light spice smell...

Used this morning and found it to be more than usable.

The lather produced was dense and slick enough (not super slick), and kept my skin hydrated.

I really like the (mild spicy) scent, very pleasant and was there throughout the shave.

23 1,872
 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The shaving cream could have a better scent but its an excellent performer , and skin care wise , better than some of the 3 T's.

The after shave balm is ok and the shaving brush , usable when traveling , but a lather machine.

For their prices , theyre very competitive.

86 7,123
 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
User Info
Aaron, I know nothing about their products, but Savannah did e-mail me asking questions about you. I didn't know much and admitted it. I'd go back.

32 6,309
 09-19-2012, 02:26 AM
User Info
(09-18-2012, 06:11 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Aaron, I know nothing about their products, but Savannah did e-mail me asking questions about you. I didn't know much and admitted it. I'd go back.

Haha oh jeeze, looks like I need to get over there...Blush

0 652
 09-22-2012, 11:12 AM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
I never understood people's negative comments concerning the body ship. The Macca Root Cream is a great shave cream and ranks right up their with the TOBS and TRUMPERS in my book. It lathers real rich, lubricates the face perfectly to allow for an effortless glide of the razor making for a perfect shave. As for the scent, it may not appeal to everyone but the same holds true of a lot of other shaving creams. I have yet to try the Activist Product, but will do so on my next visit to the store. Lastly I do not find that the Body Shop's employees are any more annoying than the average retail clerk. The Body Shop's clerks are lively, robust young people, mostly young ladies, who are doing the best they can to get ahead, as are all of us.

For these reasons, I will make sure to purchase the Activist next time I'm at the body shop. Happy Shaving, Sam

0 108
 09-22-2012, 09:29 PM
User Info
(09-22-2012, 11:12 AM)Notary Wrote: I never understood people's negative comments concerning the body ship. The Macca Root Cream is a great shave cream and ranks right up their with the TOBS and TRUMPERS in my book. It lathers real rich, lubricates the face perfectly to allow for an effortless glide of the razor making for a perfect shave. As for the scent, it may not appeal to everyone but the same holds true of a lot of other shaving creams. I have yet to try the Activist Product, but will do so on my next visit to the store. Lastly I do not find that the Body Shop's employees are any more annoying than the average retail clerk. The Body Shop's clerks are lively, robust young people, mostly young ladies, who are doing the best they can to get ahead, as are all of us.

For these reasons, I will make sure to purchase the Activist next time I'm at the body shop. Happy Shaving, Sam

I think its just the sign of the times really, I will gladly go back to TBS after my recent experience with The Art of Shaving...

Now that I have spent time with the cream I agree, I think I will even go so far as to say it has better skin care properties than Trumpers....

0 652