04-23-2019, 09:29 AM
User Info
Review of the Rasozero Barbacco Shaving Soap.

Disclaimer: I've only been in the hobby for three months so I don't have a ton of experience with soaps. Nor do I have a collection of the 287 most respected artisan soaps to compare with. That said, I've had five shaves with this soap and here are my impressions. 

General: The Rasozero brand is manufactured by the Tcheon Fung Sing soap factory in Turin, Italy. There are currently three soft soaps and three aftershave splashes under the brand. This is the Barbacco scent, the other two are Agrumella (citrus) and Spiffero (menthol).

INCI: Stearic Acid, Aqua (water), Cocos Nucifera Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Linalool, Coumarin. 

Presentation: The soap comes in a flat plastic tub of 125ml (4.2 fl.oz.), similar to the Speick soap tub. There is no box and the labels are not waterproof. 

Price: I paid 3.85€ for the 125ml tub from the German online shop Dambiro. At the Spanish store Gifts & Care they want 4.40€. However, this soap is also available in a 1L box for 12.90€ (Dambiro) or 13.95€ (Gifts&Care).

Fragrance: Not surprisingly the scent is similar to the Barbacco aftershave in the same series (which I have reviewed here). When I opened the tub to smell the soap directly it had a very sweet and candy-like scent with notes of coffee but not much tobacco. Since I am no fan of candy/food scents in soaps this worried me but as soon as I started lathering the sweetness went away. The lather smells mostly tobacco, wood and leather. When I say tobacco I mean like smelling pipe tobacco or an unlit cigar, not tobacco smoke. I find the scent while shaving pleasant and about the right strength, but of course that's subjective so YMMV.

Description: This is a very soft soap/croap, even softer than Proraso and Speick and it is easy to scope some up with your finger. Those who like to bowl-lather can easily smear some at the bottom of their bowl and those who face lather and don't want to load from the tub should be able to to smear it on the face like a cream (I didn't actually try that I just loaded from the tub).

Performance: Ok, so here it's a mixed bag. It lathers up easily, loading the brush is quick since it's so soft. It feels good on the skin and is easy to apply. The glide is fine but it collapses a bit more quickly than I would like (so if I take my time the lather is rather thin on the last bits of my face). The protection is okay but not great. In performance I would rate it about equal to Proraso, slightly inferior to the La Toja stick and superior to the Palmolive Classic cream. It cannot compete with Speick Men Active soap but then the Speick is almost twice as expensive (or eight times more expensive if you buy Rasozero in a big pack). It's not as good as my Haslinger puck in performance but on the other hand the scent is superior. If I compare it to my two best soaps (SV and IK Paris) it does not stand a chance but that's hardly a fair comparison. To summarize: it's a perfectly good budget soap, but it is a budget soap.

Verdict: I like the scent a lot, the soap matches the Barbacco after shave and provides good shaves. In the price category I think this soap holds up well and if you buy the bit 1 liter block the price/performance is absolutely unbeatable at less than 1.5€ per 100ml. If you are on a budget the bang for the buck is fantastic. On the other hand, if you are a soap snob sophisticated collector of fine artisan soaps, then Rasozero is clearly not for you. Will I be buying this again? Tricky, the 1L block is tempting, but probably not. I may try the Agrumella (citrus) version at some point.

As always, YMMV.

[Image: ZXiCu8g.jpg][Image: ep2Z23J.jpg][Image: Q6Mtg02.jpg][Image: yceF9tj.jpg][Image: KhYK2Cp.jpg]

1 382
 04-23-2019, 10:52 AM
User Info
Hey nice review! I haven’t heard of IK Paris! Can you review that one as well Steve?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

32 1,692
 04-23-2019, 11:11 AM
User Info
(04-23-2019, 10:52 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Hey nice review!  I haven’t heard of IK Paris! Can you review that one as well Steve?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

IK Paris = Institut Karité Paris. 
Sure, but I thought it was fairly well known?

1 382
 04-23-2019, 11:56 AM
User Info
Perhaps it is, but I haven’t heard of it! Course that’s not saying much since I am a chicken nugget!

Vr

Matt

(04-23-2019, 11:11 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 10:52 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Hey nice review!  I haven’t heard of IK Paris! Can you review that one as well Steve?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

IK Paris = Institut Karité Paris. 
Sure, but I thought it was fairly well known?

32 1,692
 04-23-2019, 03:48 PM
User Info
(04-23-2019, 11:56 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Perhaps it is, but I haven’t heard of it!  Course that’s not saying much since I am a chicken nugget!

Fair enough Smile I'll post my thoughts on it later this week.

1 382
 04-23-2019, 06:06 PM
User Info
You reviews are exceedingly thorough.  You need to write more of them.

60 9,539
 04-23-2019, 09:51 PM
User Info
(04-23-2019, 06:06 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: You reviews are exceedingly thorough.  You need to write more of them.

Thank you, when time allows I'm happy to.

1 382
 08-22-2019, 01:44 AM
User Info
Just a little update. I have since tried the Agrumella version of the same soap. My wife likes it so I bought a 1L block for both of us. In a nutshell: the performance is identical to the Barbacco reviewed above, and the scent is... lemon. Pleasant and noticeable but plain citrus without any real complexity.

[Image: FaQ4Dj9.jpg]

1 382