09-17-2012, 06:01 AM
User Info
I am a cold water shaver and read somewhere that people who use electric shavers can make the whiskers stand up using an alum block. I've even read a review from LeisureGuy that had shave cream with alum as an ingredient.

I have been using a straight razor for the past two months and straight razors require a wetter lather than with DE or SE shaving to keep the blade from skipping or stuttering. I prepped with the alum bar after washing with MrGlo and adding Vitos PrePost. I made my lather from Castle Forbes Lavender shave cream.

The only problem was I couldn't get the lather to last. It thinned out almost immediately. I had to keep reapplying. Rinsing my face off after each pass and even washing with MrGlo again did not get rid of the alum that was attacking the lather. So my blade skipped and nicked for all passes.

So do not try this at home.

21 1,477
 09-17-2012, 06:45 AM
  • Batmang
  • Unregistered
User Info
Lindy,

I am by far not the expert on straight shaving having been using straights for only three years or so. You may be absolutely correct in saying that the lather may be a problem...lather that is too thin or dry will be problematic. I don't believe that the lather has to be wetter for a straight over a DE or SE. The correct hydration is important for any lather and razor type.

I used to have trouble with the blade skipping or stuttering but I found that the problem either lay with my technique or with the sharpness of the blade. In my case, it was usually technique as I initially depended on honemeisters to make my razors shave ready and I have faith that they did so. Check your angle of the blade.

In the end, JMHO and YMMV.

Good luck, and as Lynn Abrams says, have fun.

Nathan

09-17-2012, 07:22 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Not a straight shaver but the Osma shave soap contains alum.

It's priced well and seems to get mixed reviews. I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/osshsowial.html

6 905
 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
Well, it would make sense that alum would kill lather.

Alum is a salt and salt does kill soap action.

32 6,309
 09-17-2012, 02:08 PM
User Info
Wow, that must have been quite annoying! A good thing to know.

75 20,883
 09-17-2012, 03:25 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have been trying straights and have a terrible time with skipping and stuttering. I have a strop and am working on my technique (both on the razor and the strop), but so far no luck. Sad I am considering getting it re-honed and trying again. If you have any suggestions let me know.

16 545
 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM
User Info
(09-17-2012, 03:25 PM)matloffm Wrote: I have been trying straights and have a terrible time with skipping and stuttering. I have a strop and am working on my technique (both on the razor and the strop), but so far no luck. Sad I am considering getting it re-honed and trying again. If you have any suggestions let me know.

I would get it resharpened. I shouln't skip at all.

9 2,988
 09-17-2012, 04:16 PM
User Info
(09-17-2012, 06:01 AM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I am a cold water shaver and read somewhere that people who use electric shavers can make the whiskers stand up using an alum block. I've even read a review from LeisureGuy that had shave cream with alum as an ingredient.

I have been using a straight razor for the past two months and straight razors require a wetter lather than with DE or SE shaving to keep the blade from skipping or stuttering. I prepped with the alum bar after washing with MrGlo and adding Vitos PrePost. I made my lather from Castle Forbes Lavender shave cream.

The only problem was I couldn't get the lather to last. It thinned out almost immediately. I had to keep reapplying. Rinsing my face off after each pass and even washing with MrGlo again did not get rid of the alum that was attacking the lather. So my blade skipped and nicked for all passes.

So do not try this at home.

In order to become a proficient wetshaver, I had to simplify my routine. It's hard to think about what you're doing and shave at the same time. Decide on a preferred soap or cream with a good reputation and stick with it so you can get the lather right every time. That will eliminate the razor stop, hop, and crash landing on your face. Take a shower right before shaving and your face is prepped. If you strike a little red oil (I'm too clumsy to ever eliminate this), the aftershave will clean it up and get you healed up in time for the next shave. In time it all becomes second nature.

Unless you have a special skin condition, skip all these little details because they just complicate matters, at least for me.

0 282
 09-17-2012, 04:54 PM
User Info
(09-17-2012, 06:45 AM)Batmang Wrote: Lindy,

I am by far not the expert on straight shaving having been using straights for only three years or so. You may be absolutely correct in saying that the lather may be a problem...lather that is too thin or dry will be problematic. I don't believe that the lather has to be wetter for a straight over a DE or SE. The correct hydration is important for any lather and razor type.

I used to have trouble with the blade skipping or stuttering but I found that the problem either lay with my technique or with the sharpness of the blade. In my case, it was usually technique as I initially depended on honemeisters to make my razors shave ready and I have faith that they did so. Check your angle of the blade.

In the end, JMHO and YMMV.

Good luck, and as Lynn Abrams says, have fun.

Nathan
I don't normally have problem with skipping and stuttering blade. My point was the alum on my face was causing all the problems.

21 1,477