04-24-2019, 02:02 PM
User Info
Gorgeous, Phil!

63 5,173
 04-24-2019, 02:12 PM
User Info
I’m beyond excited for this. Hoping some kind of limit is imposed to give everyone a chance to own one.

5 70
 04-24-2019, 03:10 PM
User Info
Is it possible to know the handle height/diameter at this time?  The top looks like the Lotus and the bottom appears to be from the Buck Rogers model.

26 165
 04-24-2019, 03:40 PM
User Info
(04-24-2019, 03:10 PM)petropn Wrote: Is it possible to know the handle height/diameter at this time?  The top looks like the Lotus and the bottom appears to be from the Buck Rogers model.

That’s what I thought as well. I can see the bottom paying homage to traditional Samurai battle armor

[Image: samuraiswordsjapanesesamuraiarmor.1.jpg]

34 1,805
 04-24-2019, 03:57 PM
User Info
(04-24-2019, 03:10 PM)petropn Wrote: Is it possible to know the handle height/diameter at this time?  The top looks like the Lotus and the bottom appears to be from the Buck Rogers model.

(04-24-2019, 03:40 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:

That’s what I thought as well. I could see the bottom paying homage to traditional Samurai battle dress

I'll post detailed specifications and share how the design came about soon. Hopefully we can stretch out a little here and have some interesting discussion between now and when the brushes are ready to ship. For now, yes, above the bead is identical to a 26 mm Lotus in every respect. From the bead down started out to be derived closely from the Buck Rogers (I still have that drawing), but I was curious to see what it might look like incorporating curves from top to bottom with no linear segments. When it was done, the overall effect was suggestive to me of Samurai armour, or representations of it, I've seen.

More later. Thanks for your interest.

3 1,396
 04-24-2019, 04:18 PM
User Info
Just checked to make sure. Handle height is close to 60 mm. Maximum outside diameter is about 41.5 mm. Socket (knot hole) diameter for these brushes will be 26 mm. I'll have more to say (and show) about the knots. They were ordered especially with this project in mind with specifications optimized for matching well with the handle's girth and gravitas. I'd call the two-band knots semi-bulbs, perhaps with a slight leaning in the hybrid direction. Free loft is generally in the range of 47-48 mm. It looks like we'll probably set them at lofts close to 52.5 mm. I'm very, very, very pleased with the knots. They appear to be highly consistent throughout. The one I've been testing has distinctively gel characteristics (more on that later as well), but without having been pushed too far according to my judgment in that regard.

I'm really excited about these brushes, and I'm not big on using hyperbole.

3 1,396
 04-24-2019, 04:31 PM
User Info
SBAD enabled

62 1,456
 04-24-2019, 05:07 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
It’s a very beautiful brush. Congratulations to you, Phil on your milestone anniversary! Ken, you have the eyes and hands of a fine artist. Well done, gentlemen.

13 3,408
 04-24-2019, 07:04 PM
User Info
Wow! Very nice, indeed. Phil, congrats on the milestone. I remember well when your store/site launched, and from that day forward you have pushed the envelope within the wetshaving community in terms of finding and bringing unique, quality products to the market. These brushes look like another step in that journey. Remarkable.

0 51
 04-24-2019, 07:26 PM
User Info
(04-24-2019, 05:07 PM)chazt Wrote: It’s a very beautiful brush. Congratulations to you, Phil on your milestone anniversary!  Ken, you have the eyes and hands of a fine artist. Well done, gentlemen.

Thanks, Charlie. The fact is, if I ever had a god-given talent, it was drawing. But my passion was seduced by music along the way, and I'm afraid I allowed the gift to atrophy. I do, however, believe I still have a good eye, especially for flow, balance, proportion, and design integrity. CAD/CAM and CNC allow me to capture vision, manipulate it iteratively until I'm satisfied, and then execute it with very high fidelity. 

That said, I need once again to acknowledge Cody. The Lotus was his design. Rather than repeat the story, I think I'd rather point to where it can be found in the context of its original telling here. See http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=36706&pid=616380#pid616380 (first photos) and http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=36706&pid=616889#pid616889 (background narrative). I really hope everyone interested in the Samurai will check out these old posts. Doing so will enhance appreciation of this offering and what stands behind it. 

Interestingly and fittingly, Cody's inspiration for the Lotus, which he had envisioned and drawn way back in 2014 (not long after he graduated from college with a degree in industrial design), owed much to World of Warcraft and virtually nothing to influence by vintage shaving brushes, which fed my imagination. I resisted coding and prototyping it because I just didn't think it would work. 

Cody also did the CAD drawings for the Buck Rogers, although we worked collaboratively on significant refinements. The Samurai's adaptations below the bead (there were none above the bead) were my vision. When I looked at the drawing with a Buck Rogers base, I immediately saw through it to the Samurai. But in truth, that was a reversion to Cody's original World-of-Warcraft-inspired vision. So, full circle.

Polishing is all Cody (except Pam, my wife, sands the handles before turning them over to him).

Engraving is all Cody, and he has become a very high-level master. Just the same, we collaborate closely on most of the engraved designs, and he usually defers to me for judgment with regard to placement. That comes back to my eye for that kind of thing. 

We're a very closely operating team, even when Cody was in Oregon and Pam and I were in Overland Park, KS. Now, finally, we are so looking forward to all being back in Colorado!

To tie off here, Cody and I had talked off and on for a long time about exploring variations on the Lotus theme. But the first time I got around to really thinking about it was after hanging up on the call with Phil when he first asked whether we might take on this project. I went straight to a set of shelves that Cody built to hold handles and brushes. I was thinking about what we might do that would fit. I took a Lotus in one hand and a Buck Rogers in the other. Then I went to work in Rhino, the CAD program we use. The Buck's bottom half looks different when matched with a Lotus top. It actually looked really good. But it was too late. I'd already seen the Samurai. I drew it. Cody loved it. I wrote the program and turned a prototype. We were all ecstatic over how it turned out. Still are.

3 1,396
 04-24-2019, 07:29 PM
User Info
(04-24-2019, 07:04 PM)TRBECK Wrote: Wow! Very nice, indeed. Phil, congrats on the milestone. I remember well when your store/site launched, and from that day forward you have pushed the envelope within the wetshaving community in terms of finding and bringing unique, quality products to the market. 

Another great topic for discussion in this thread.

3 1,396
 04-24-2019, 08:22 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(04-24-2019, 07:04 PM)TRBECK Wrote: Wow! Very nice, indeed. Phil, congrats on the milestone. I remember well when your store/site launched, and from that day forward you have pushed the envelope within the wetshaving community in terms of finding and bringing unique, quality products to the market. These brushes look like another step in that journey. Remarkable.

Thank you -I am really excited about these brushes. I still can't believe that it has been ten years...it almost seems like it was yesterday that I launched the old Yahoo store.

52 20,596
 04-24-2019, 08:23 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-24-2019, 05:07 PM)chazt Wrote: It’s a very beautiful brush. Congratulations to you, Phil on your milestone anniversary!  Ken, you have the eyes and hands of a fine artist. Well done, gentlemen.

Thank you Charlie!

52 20,596
 04-25-2019, 05:33 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
A great idea to commemorate two significant milestones!  The design combined with Ken's and Cody's typically superb execution pay a fitting tribute.  Hope they sell quickly.

4 842
 04-25-2019, 06:47 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(04-24-2019, 03:57 PM)ChiefBroom Wrote:

(04-24-2019, 03:40 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:

That’s what I thought as well. I could see the bottom paying homage to traditional Samurai battle dress

I'll post detailed specifications and share how the design came about soon. Hopefully we can stretch out a little here and have some interesting discussion between now and when the brushes are ready to ship. For now, yes, above the bead is identical to a 26 mm Lotus in every respect. From the bead down started out to be derived closely from the Buck Rogers (I still have that drawing), but I was curious to see what it might look like incorporating curves from top to bottom with no linear segments. When it was done, the overall effect was suggestive to me of Samurai armour, or representations of it, I've seen.

More later. Thanks for your interest.

The new curves in the lower portion look great. They mirror the upper curve in the Lotus ferrule.

10 745
 04-25-2019, 07:18 AM
  • Niro884
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
I love the Lotus design and the uniqueness it brought to the world of brush handle design. This new iteration will be a beautiful twist on an already magnificent design. Kudos  to the entire Paladin team!

70 895
 04-25-2019, 07:51 AM
User Info
Wow ... gorgeous!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 243
 04-25-2019, 09:21 AM
User Info
Oh geez, another fantastic brush. Looking forward to seeing them.

0 35
 04-25-2019, 11:21 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
A great looking brush especially in faux ivory. I’d really like to add one to my collection. A novel and aesthetically pleasing design.

9 1,085
 04-25-2019, 02:04 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-25-2019, 05:33 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: A great idea to commemorate two significant milestones!  The design combined with Ken's and Cody's typically superb execution pay a fitting tribute.  Hope they sell quickly.

Thank you Brad. I hope they sell quickly too. Ken and Cody really knocked this one out of the park

52 20,596