09-17-2012, 06:04 AM
User Info
Hi everyone -

I was fortunate to get in on Brian's LE menthol aftershave. Over the weekend I received it (fast shipping! and no problems whatsoever, but no real popcorn!), and here are my impressions.

Let me start by saying I generally prefer balms but I don't mind splashes either. I took Brian's advice and used an aggressive razor (Fatip) with MWF and three passes. I shook the bottle pretty well and poured out about a teaspoon's worth.

Now the menthol is obviously the main actor in this play, but its not overbearing nor too stinging. There is a restaurant in Cambridge (MA), East Coast Grill, that a few times a year puts on a "Hell Night" where the goal is to make the spiciest food imaginable. I've gone and its incredibly spicy, so spicy as to not be too enjoyable an experience (the atmosphere is a lot of fun as people dress up and the small touches, like a glass of milk for $10 on the menu, is fun). However, while its so spicy, it doesn't burn or otherwise damage your taste buds. This is how I felt about the menthol in the aftershave. Its strong and really tingles the face, but doesn't burn or "scald" the skin. It does last a nice long time, though, which is actually pretty nice.

Its very moisturizing and my skin felt great. As the menthol faded away, I become aware more and more of the bay rum aspects of the splash, especially the scent.

For me, this is a keeper, or as much of a keeper as the bottle lasts, since Brian has said this was a limited run only. I hope he rethinks this decision, as I could see it being a decent seller.

72 1,407
 09-17-2012, 07:35 AM
User Info
Be still my heart! Heart Come on postman, bring me my 80 Below today!

Thanks for your thoughts on this Josh, though I must be honest by saying that you just made it exponentially more difficult awaiting the arrival of mine. :monoloco:

31 7,912
 09-17-2012, 07:48 AM
User Info
(09-17-2012, 07:35 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Be still my heart! Heart Come on postman, bring me my 80 Below today!

Thanks for your thoughts on this Josh, though I must be honest by saying that you just made it exponentially more difficult awaiting the arrival of mine. :monoloco:

Its definitely an experience. On the weekends, I will usually shave at night and for various reasons, on Saturday I shaved and then went right to sleep. Except I couldn't fall asleep initially because of the tingle!

72 1,407
 09-17-2012, 08:00 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Well, should we all make our own threads? I am thorn between reviewing LE and comparing 3P to P.160 Biggrin

88 4,233
 09-18-2012, 04:38 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you for your opinion regarding the new formulation. I will definitely have to buy some. I have the original bay rum and really like it a lot.

100 12,439
 09-18-2012, 05:50 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Nice review, thank you!

I am awaiting my bottle too and it is very nice to know that Brian really got it right when it comes to the menthol. I was fearful of something that I couldn't use and knowing that it's spot on is just great.

But........what else would we expect from Brian?!?!?! Biggrin

6 905
 09-18-2012, 06:12 AM
User Info
(09-18-2012, 04:38 AM)slantman Wrote: Thank you for your opinion regarding the new formulation. I will definitely have to buy some. I have the original bay rum and really like it a lot.

Jerry, unfortunately this was a LE with only 20 bottles made and I believe that they are all sold already.

31 7,912
 09-18-2012, 07:32 PM
User Info
Josh, thanks for sharing the review! As it is a limited edition, i would suggest only using a drop each day to savour it. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
User Info
As already written, it was a limited run and it's all been sold.

However, maybe not... I'm an old fart and I made a mistake when someone ordered (I pulled his order then tried to pull it again from an empty shelf). So I have "his order" sitting here. I need to contact him and beg his indulgence and offer it to him first. If he turns it down I plan on offering it up for $10,000 dollars...

Biggrin OK, not really, or at least not seriously.

I'll post it here, same price as any other bottle (it's #15/20). First person who PMs me and whose $ I see get's it, but that's only if the gent in question doesn't want it. I must make sure. But in going over my records I'm certain that's what happened. I'm so new to all of this.

FWIW, I know it's his because of the order and the chronology... it can only be this gent.

Edit: BTW, after contacting him and after both of us having smiley faces and nice words regarding it, he wanted it.

32 6,309
 09-18-2012, 11:02 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
So Brian, when is the next run of the LE product going to start.Smile You have to make more than 20 folks happy.

173 23,502
 09-19-2012, 08:57 AM
User Info
Johnny, there probably never will be another LE, at least not that I can forsee at the moment.

There may be a run of menthol as a regular item by next spring, but while I might be able to get it close to the LE I'll never get it precisely the same. I lost 2 suppliers of my EOs and extracts, so that knocks me back to the starting line. But having gone through that once I decided it wouldn't happen again. I'm going back to the producers of the products - no middleman- and do business for ingredients that way. But the quantities I need to purchase are significantly larger done that way. I've been saving my pennies to get enough $ to start all over again with the menthol.

32 6,309
 09-20-2012, 08:43 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
My apologies; I put my review at the bottom of this page:

http://shavenook.com/thread-le-menthol-k...est?page=3

Just amazing!

6 905
 09-21-2012, 05:03 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for the review. I received my bottle the other day and it's fantastic. The menthol is great and it's by far the most moisturizing aftershave I've ever used (same goes for his Bay Rum). I have to agree with your comments on the shipping, Krampert's ships as fast as PhilSmile.

45 3,955