04-26-2019, 05:14 AM
User Info
I need some help. I've been eying two Razorock brushes (the Big Bruce and the 400) but since I don't actually need them, I can't think of many rational reasons to buy them. I contemplate buying two instead of one because the shipping will be the same, so I would "save money" (cough, cough) by getting both. I know, it's a bit thin but it's the best I got.

So what I'm looking for here is for someone to tell me that buying these is a really good idea. If you can come up with some plausible-sounding reasons to make this decision appear thought-through and rational, so much the better. I'm balancing right on the edge here, all I need is for someone to give me a little push.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

1 344
 04-26-2019, 05:28 AM
User Info
Steve, save your cash my friend. After owning four different Razorock synthetics I sold them all and washed my hands of the brand. Without fail they are a nicely manufactured handle with a knot full of issues, the worst of which are a combination of large glue bump (10mm+) and many inverted fibres which poke your face whilst lathering (if face lathering.)

I cannot deny they are attractive and not bad value per se but I would wholeheartedly recommend buying one good brush from Muhle, Plisson or Simpsons rather than two mediocre brushes from RR. Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear!

[Image: 36686803176_7c6529ff9d_z.jpg]

...In fact, I removed the poor quality "plissoft" knot from my 400 and fitted an Omega blonde boar (in keeping with the Rubberset original Wink)

[Image: 46312665-516173955532313-4936432263022372679-n.jpg]

0 119
 04-26-2019, 05:36 AM
User Info
(04-26-2019, 05:28 AM)Rohleder Wrote: Steve, save your cash my friend. After owning four different Razorock synthetic I sold them all and washed my hands of the brand. Without fail they are a nicely manufactured handle with a knot full of issues, the worst of which are a combination of large glue bump (10mm+) and many inverted fibres which poke your face whilst lathering (if face lathering.)

I cannot deny they are attractive and not bad value per se but I would wholeheartedly recommend buying one good brush from Muhle, Plisson or Simpsons rather than two mediocre brushes from RR. Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear!

Not at all, I appreciate your candor. My post was intended to be funny but I am of course looking for any input on the brushes.
You also touched upon the main reason for my hesitation, namely that for what these two brushes costs (in Europe) I can get one Mühle STF and as a general rule I am in favor of quality over quantity. The problem is I do not own any other brushes from either RR or Mühle so it hard to know what's what. Thanks, I shall wait and see if someone picks up the thrown gauntlet (that 400 handle is so nice, though).

1 344
 04-26-2019, 05:36 AM
User Info
Steve, on the one hand, if I'm in your situation I think of King Lear's daughters. After he gives them his kingdom, on the premise that they will allow him to keep his army of men, and treat him well ... they tell him that he doesn't 'need' all of these men, and they are throwing them out ... Lear says, " O, reason not the need! Our basest beggars Are in the poorest thing superfluous. Allow not nature more than nature needs, Man’s life is cheap as beast’s.

On the other hand, a wise man told me 52 years ago, "He who buys what he does not need will someday need what he cannot buy." 

And, " If you can't be satisfied with what you have, you'll never be satisfied with what you get."

I can vouch for the accuracy of all of the above. Good luck with the brushes  Biggrin

9 277
 04-26-2019, 05:41 AM
User Info
(04-26-2019, 05:36 AM)JimmyH Wrote: Steve, on the one hand, if I'm in your situation I think of King Lear's daughters. After he gives them his kingdom, on the premise that they will allow him to keep his army of men, and treat him well ... they tell him that he doesn't 'need' all of these men, and they are throwing them out ... Lear says, " O, reason not the need! Our basest beggars Are in the poorest thing superfluous. Allow not nature more than nature needs, Man’s life is cheap as beast’s.

On the other hand, a wise man told me 52 years ago, "He who buys what he does not need will someday need what he cannot buy." 

And, " If you can't be satisfied with what you have, you'll never be satisfied with what you get."

I can vouch for the accuracy of all of the above. Good luck with the brushes  Biggrin

I'm a sucker for classic literature and quoting the Bard is always powerful.
Cheap trick. Biggrin

1 344
 04-26-2019, 06:30 AM
User Info
I'm a fan of the Razorock brushes.  I have the Bruce, the 400, and the Chrome.  The Chrome is harder to splay than the rest but still a good brush.  All of mine are in rotation.  They are cheap to purchase, so not much loss if you don't like them.

0 105
 04-26-2019, 06:45 AM
User Info
I stay away from the Plisson type knots used in the RazoRock and other inexpensive Chinese imports.  They have a huge glue bump that interferes with the brush spraying optimally.  The Muhle and Simpson are far superior, in my opinion.

If you still want an inexpensive  Chinese import with a Plisson type knot, look at the Yaqi.  The two I tried did not have the glue bump.

60 9,356
 04-26-2019, 06:55 AM
User Info
(04-26-2019, 06:45 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I stay away from the Plisson type knots used in the RazoRock and other inexpensive Chinese imports.  They have a huge glue bump that interferes with the brush spraying optimally.  The Muhle and Simpson are far superior, in my opinion.

If you still want an inexpensive  Chinese import with a Plisson type knot, look at the Yaqi.  The two I tried did not have the glue bump.

Thanks, that's interesting. I've two Chinese brushes (DSCosmetics) and what I dislike about them is precisely the big glue bump.

1 344
 04-26-2019, 06:58 AM
User Info
(04-26-2019, 06:30 AM)Preacher Wrote: I'm a fan of the Razorock brushes.  I have the Bruce, the 400, and the Chrome.  The Chrome is harder to splay than the rest but still a good brush.  All of mine are in rotation.  They are cheap to purchase, so not much loss if you don't like them.

Thanks for the feedback. I find the 400 handle really attractive, I'll give it some thought.

1 344
 04-26-2019, 10:14 AM
  • Nero
User Info
Lots of free loft in the black fiber, which I like better than the Plissoft type hair. (There is a glue bump... since when is that an issue??... there is no splay issue.)
BTW, I consciously choose this one when I want LESS backbone and MORE splay.

[Image: e449db38182ce2ce4f608259f92570eb.jpg]

90 3,763
 04-26-2019, 10:17 AM
User Info
(04-26-2019, 10:14 AM)Nero Wrote: Lots of free loft in the black fiber, which I like better than the Plissoft type hair. (There is a glue bump... since when is that an issue??... there is no splay issue.)

How do the black fiber differ from the Plissoft knot?

1 344
 04-26-2019, 10:40 AM
User Info
I have several Razorock brushes.  The Plissoft, The Bruce, the 400 with butterscotch handle and noir knot, Monster and Beehive.  I have never noticed any issues with the glue bump.  Sure it's there but I don't squish any of my brushes so hard that a glue bump becomes an issue.  The only one that doesn't see any action is the Monster.  It's size is in between the Beehive and the Bruce.  Also the handle isn't all that comfortable for me.  But the rest of them see regular action in my den.

2 327
 04-26-2019, 11:18 AM
User Info
(04-26-2019, 10:40 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I have several Razorock brushes.  The Plissoft, The Bruce, the 400 with butterscotch handle and noir knot, Monster and Beehive.  I have never noticed any issues with the glue bump.  Sure it's there but I don't squish any of my brushes so hard that a glue bump becomes an issue.  The only one that doesn't see any action is the Monster.  It's size is in between the Beehive and the Bruce.  Also the handle isn't all that comfortable for me.  But the rest of them see regular action in my den.

Thanks for the feedback. I have two Chinese brushes with glue bumps and to be honest the only time I really notice is when I splay "too hard". It still bothers me though, for aesthetic reasons, I suppose.

1 344
 04-26-2019, 11:52 AM
  • motto
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
User Info
If you are looking for a high quality Rubberset 400 clone, there is no way around the BSB-1 made by Dr. Dulcamara, Barcelona Shaving Brushes. Juan made the BSB-1 in both Aluminium or Titanium with various knots.
Look for Dr. Dulcamara here in the Forum or search for Barcelona Shaving Brushes on the web to get in touch. Juan makes the brushes in small numbers so do not expect stock but certainly worth a chat to check what is possible. Juan is a true gentleman to deal with and his brushes are pieces of art. As he is based in Spain no fancy customs fees will show up in case of a purchase.

Hilsnar fra Köpenhamn
Marco

9 451
 04-26-2019, 12:15 PM
User Info
(04-26-2019, 11:52 AM)motto Wrote: If you are looking for a high quality Rubberset 400 clone, there is no way around the BSB-1 made by Dr. Dulcamara, Barcelona Shaving Brushes. Juan made the BSB-1 in both Aluminium or Titanium with various knots.
Look for Dr. Dulcamara here in the Forum or search for Barcelona Shaving Brushes on the web to get in touch. Juan makes the brushes in small numbers so do not expect stock but certainly worth a chat to check what is possible. Juan is a true gentleman to deal with and his brushes are pieces of art. As he is based in Spain no fancy customs fees will show up in case of a purchase.

Hilsnar fra Köpenhamn
Marco

Thank you for the dip, I'm way ahead of you though Smile I discovered the BSB-1 though this thread and PM'd Dr. Dulcamara. We'll see how that works out.
I must say his handles looks absolutely stunning in the pictures.

Mange tak.

1 344
 04-26-2019, 12:37 PM
  • motto
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
User Info
(04-26-2019, 12:15 PM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 11:52 AM)motto Wrote: If you are looking for a high quality Rubberset 400 clone, there is no way around the BSB-1 made by Dr. Dulcamara, Barcelona Shaving Brushes. Juan made the BSB-1 in both Aluminium or Titanium with various knots.

Hilsnar fra Köpenhamn
Marco

Thank you for the dip, I'm way ahead of you though Smile I discovered the BSB-1 though this thread and PM'd Dr. Dulcamara. We'll see how that works out.
I must say his handles looks absolutely stunning in the pictures.

Mange tak.
Cool, let’s hope for positive news.

Beside quality of craftsmanship, there is another aspect the makes the BSB-1 unique. While the original Rubberset 400 and many of todays clones are a 2 piece design consisting of hollow handle and a ferrule with the knot screwed to the handle, the BSB-1 handle is a one piece design milled from a solid piece of metal with the knot glued in. This gives the BSB-1 much more heft and weight.

9 451
 04-26-2019, 01:45 PM
User Info
My BSB-1 with a Muhle synthetic knot is a great brush.  It's machined from solid aluminum, not cast.   It's then highly polished, not anodized.  I've let mine naturally oxidize, but it's easy to restore the original shine with a metal polish such as Maas. 

[Image: l5xq2xH.jpg]

60 9,356
 04-26-2019, 02:13 PM
User Info
(04-26-2019, 11:18 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 10:40 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I have several Razorock brushes.  The Plissoft, The Bruce, the 400 with butterscotch handle and noir knot, Monster and Beehive.  I have never noticed any issues with the glue bump.  Sure it's there but I don't squish any of my brushes so hard that a glue bump becomes an issue.  The only one that doesn't see any action is the Monster.  It's size is in between the Beehive and the Bruce.  Also the handle isn't all that comfortable for me.  But the rest of them see regular action in my den.

Thanks for the feedback. I have two Chinese brushes with glue bumps and to be honest the only time I really notice is when I splay "too hard". It still bothers me though, for aesthetic reasons, I suppose.

Aesthetic reasons?  You can't see it.  It's kind of hidden, buried somewhere in all this funny looking hairs.   Confused

2 327
 04-26-2019, 02:24 PM
User Info
(04-26-2019, 02:13 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 11:18 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:

Aesthetic reasons?  You can't see it.  It's kind of hidden, buried somewhere in all this funny looking hairs.   Confused

Yeah, I know. I was using the term more in a metaphorical sense, as in: "I know it's there and it bothers me a bit" Smile

1 344
 04-26-2019, 05:25 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(04-26-2019, 10:17 AM)RazorSteve Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 10:14 AM)Nero Wrote: Lots of free loft in the black fiber, which I like better than the Plissoft type hair. (There is a glue bump... since when is that an issue??... there is no splay issue.)

How do the black fiber differ from the Plissoft knot?
Mainly, I find the Plissoft type to be more scritchy.

90 3,763