04-26-2019, 01:58 PM
User Info
Here are just some reflections (I may have mentioned some of this before.)

I have an undated Made-in-Canada Gillette Tech, a 1951 Gillette gold Aristocrat, a 1954 Red Tip (given to me in the original package, which had never been opened), and a 1974 Super Adjustable (long handle). I don't have a heavy beard, but my favorite razor is the rather aggressive Red Tip, and I shave with the SA set at 9. As far as I can tell, except for the blade exposure, the heads of these three razors are identical. The difference in performance has to do exclusively with balance and heft of the handle. The Tech is another matter. I use it only when I travel.

I can't remember the last time I nicked myself with one of these razors. Might have something to do with the Proraso and D.R. Harris soaps I use.

0 133
 04-26-2019, 02:20 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Red Tips and Techs are some of my favorite razors. I must have about half a dozen Techs, and am especially fond of a particular prewar model. I agree, it’s pretty much impossible to nick myself with a Tech, but I do need to be careful with the Red Tip, even the Super Speed for that matter. Something about the bulkier head design under the nose makes me work harder with the TTOs. Big love for my vintage Gillettes!

15 3,531