05-03-2019, 07:11 AM
User Info
I've been a straight razor shaver for a few years and really didn't want to dip my toe into the DE realm. Recently there was a lot deal on the bay that was a really good deal for a 9/8 FBU W&B straight by itself and had several other shave items thrown in as well. I took a chance and won. After some research, I found out that 2 of the additional items were a 59 Gillette Fatboy and a pre-WW2 Gillette Tech 3-piece. Aside from some soap scum that came off with water and a tooth brush, both in real good shape. This led me to some more research into Gillette and DE razors and then into single edge razors. A lot of the SE razors like GEM and, I think, AutoStrop use what I think are or may be disposable blades. However I found a very few razors that use a wedge blade. These razors with wedge blades have kind of intrigued me and I'd like to find more information on them, what brands were made, when, maintenance, restoration, etc. If anyone can point me in the right direction for information on SE wedge blade razors (if I'm using the right terms), please do.

Thank you.

0 91
 05-03-2019, 08:23 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
wow a wedge, never heard of it but I am sure a few of the gents here are busy researching this curious beast.

0 482
 05-03-2019, 09:16 AM
User Info
There are a few of those SE razors that take wedge blades. Some of them also take GEM blades and I find it very convenient as honing wedges and especially maintaining them (stropping) is, to me, harder than straights. I have a Heljestrand, GEM Junior Bar, and these Rapide-style razors. 

[Image: mak7TGR.jpg]

wüsthof, henckels and loner henckels. 

[Image: GQGTMe4.jpg]

Heljestrand and Henckels (second on picture above) wearing wedges. 

Even though it is less practical, the shave from a sharp wedge is superior to the GEM blades IMO. Not a huge difference but worth noting. 
As mentioned, there are plenty more razors that take wedges.

9 1,611