05-03-2019, 07:55 AM
User Info
Gents,

Hello!  I first want to thank Churchillafemme for recommending this soap to me.  The stars aligned, and I was able to purchase a couple of pucks, and the matching Ralph Lauren Safari pewter shave mug.

My initial impression is that this vintage hard puck shave soap is every bit as good as Martin de Candre and Santa Maria Novella...my top two favorite shave soaps and cream.  I need a few more shaves to judge...it might be better!

This shave soap smells wonderful, it is easy to lather, and it produced some of the creamiest, thickest, and slickest lather that I have ever used.  It receives my highest recommendation!

Tools Used During the Shave:

Shave Soap:  Ralph Lauren Safari

Shave Mug:  Ralph Lauren Safari Pewter Mug

Brush:  Paladin Winston

Razor:  Bronze Timeless .78 Open Comb (Not pictured...I called an audible on the field at the last moment)

Blade:  Personna 74 Medical Prep on its 8th use (Note:  I had 3.5 days of growth and this little metallic miracle slice through my beard with no tugging or issues of any kind)

Aftershave:  Hemingway Accoutrements 

Balm:  Hemingway Accoutrements 

Process: I heated up some distilled water, and put it in a mug to soak my brush, and put some on top of the puck in the pewter mug to bloom it while in the shower.  

After my shower, I shook out the brush, put it off to the side, dumped that water, and replaced it with the bloom water from the shave mug holding the puck.

I then took the brush, and lathered on the puck for 15 seconds clockwise, and then 15 seconds counter clock wise.  I set my fully loaded brush down, and scooped out the lather left in the mug to apply to my wet face by hand.  I then proceeded with a face lather, and dipped the brush in the bloom water as needed to get the appropriate lather.

Next I went to my first pass which was wonderful.  As I stated, the Personna 74 easily sliced through 3.5 days of growth, and the Timeless .78 open comb is a wonderful razor...pretty aggressive/efficient, great blade feel, and smooth!

I then proceeded for a 3 pass shave with one additional pass for touch ups.  Between the 2nd and 3rd passes I reloaded the brush for 5 seconds in one direction, and 5 seconds in the other direction.  I didn’t necessarily need extra lather...I was just messing around and having some fun during the shave!

After the 3rd pass I rinsed (again marveled at the residual slickness, and how nice my face felt), and identified spots that could use the slightest of touch ups.  Then I did a brush squeeze, and finished the shave.

The result was a BBBS (Beautiful BBS) shave with zero nicks, weepers, or irritation! 

My initial thought on this soap is that it is a shaving treasure...elite in every regard!

In my opinion, the Personna 74 med prep blades are also superb!

Enjoy the pics!

Vr

Matt

21 1,092
 05-03-2019, 07:58 AM
User Info
 05-03-2019, 08:19 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
nice smile!  A47  
glad you liked the 18 year old soap. perhaps the soap artisans should consider aging the soap like wine and spirits.   Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100

0 252
 05-03-2019, 08:28 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I agree.  I have a few pucks of this when I got lucky on ebay.  Hard to find now but they're still out there.

48 2,108
 05-03-2019, 09:13 AM
User Info
A very nice description of a truly great soap and excellent hardware.

229 13,297
 05-03-2019, 09:46 AM
User Info
(05-03-2019, 09:13 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: A very nice description of a truly great soap and excellent hardware.

Thanks John!

Vr

Matt

21 1,092
 05-03-2019, 09:53 AM
User Info
Congrats Matt, never tried Safari and sounds like I missed something...

15 559
 05-03-2019, 10:27 AM
User Info
(05-03-2019, 09:53 AM)Petronius Wrote: Congrats Matt, never tried Safari and sounds like I missed something...

Yes...until recently I was missing out on these vintage soaps and razor blades as well! The idea of using decades old soap and razor blades was ridiculous to me...and then I tried them. I guess it is like the unassuming Gillette Superspeeds and the slightly more flashy Gillette Aristocrats!

I am very fortunate to have been introduced to them, and been able to get a nice supply while they can still be obtained!

Vr

Matt

21 1,092
 05-03-2019, 10:33 AM
User Info
I have all what are/were you looking for.- vintage blades, soaps. Just not Safari although I own Safari scent. Its looks like I have to fix this issue, hahaha. Enjoy your soap.

15 559
 05-03-2019, 10:48 AM
User Info
(05-03-2019, 10:33 AM)Petronius Wrote: I have all what are/were you looking for.- vintage blades, soaps. Just not Safari although I own Safari scent. Its looks like I have to fix this issue, hahaha. Enjoy your soap.

Yes...you must try the Safari! At the moment the only thing I am searching for is a vintage NOS puck of the tallow Floris 89! Do you happen to have that sir?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

21 1,092
 05-03-2019, 10:52 AM
User Info
No, I have NOS Floris 89. I bought NOS but I use it.

15 559
 05-03-2019, 11:20 AM
User Info
The search continues!

Vr

Matt

21 1,092
 05-05-2019, 02:53 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I was also first steered to this wonderful soap by our mutual friend John whose tastes, I had found, match mine so close I bought the first puck I found and haven't regretted it.  I pick it up every time I come across one.

8 2,601
 05-05-2019, 09:33 AM
User Info
I liked Safari so much I have acquired 5 pucks so far! I should be in the safari for awhile, especially with the other soaps I have and like to use...including the old spice shave soap...that’s another amazing oldie!

Good stuff!

Vr

Matt

21 1,092