05-08-2019, 01:40 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(05-07-2019, 03:43 PM)SCOV Wrote: I still want a Wilborg !

Yeah, me too, but I've pretty much given up on ever getting one.

10 745
 05-08-2019, 02:18 AM
User Info
(05-07-2019, 06:01 PM)MaxP Wrote: Sorry to go OT, but Simpsons are, IMHO, admiration-worthy.

[Image: 8FsJsCz.jpg]
Boom!  Clap  

63 5,173
 05-08-2019, 03:09 AM
User Info
(05-08-2019, 01:10 AM)Tester28 Wrote: Anyone who hasn't tried one of the Wiborgs that were released with
ebony handles and White badger is missing out.

That hair is exquisite...so soft and luxurious....the lofts are a bit low 
so the backbone is just right and the hair has super gel-like properties
and hooked tips. Yet the hair doesn't appear stiff when dry.

Florian hit it out of the park with this series.

Had that exact setup and it just wasn’t for me. While soft, it was far too gel tipped. I’m not too big a fan of gel tip. Well, more to say a fan of most. Gel tip to me is Rooney 2-band heritage. Period. I don’t reach for it often, but love it when I’m in the mood. It somehow still maintains a tip presence that I can feel. I was using another gel tip today and while lathering up I wasn’t too keen for the feel, but after the lather was better mixed it felt somewhat better and I was able to take my mind off it more. Many others just lose the tip feel I expect.

I have a mental association with badger. I expect there to be some tip presence. Some liken it to angels massaging your face. That’s close to what I expect. I expect an angel with sleeves rolled up, arms braces to deliver a bracing massage, but when it comes to the deed the hands (tips) deliver just enough force to say I’m here, but not to rudely. More of a relax or come hither feel. 2-band doesn’t frequently show those properties which is fine. I like that more bracing feel those typically deliver too when in the mood, but for me, 3-band typically gives me more of the feeling I describe. Then there are times a brush doesn’t care about your preconceived notions and throws a curveball and beans you upside the head and just makes you step back in amazement at what it has to offer. Times like that are great.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had the White Badger Wiborg, but the comments about it not appearing stiff when dry ring a bell for me and seem to recall noticing that as well. Soft tips indeed and very gel like. Much better than the knots you can buy from any vendor, but it couldn’t outdo 2-band Rooney heritage for me. Everything else was quite similar, but superior tip feel went to Rooney. I wish anyone luck in getting one and that Florian’s health improves enough to start putting them out more. It might be exactly what you want. Having experienced it, I would recommend chasing Rooney 2-band Heritage. A tiny bit less rare, but I have seen a few come up here and there, and can be had for a much better price in my opinion than what some of the Wiborgs are going for.

33 948
 05-08-2019, 03:48 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(05-07-2019, 01:51 PM)Puma Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 03:07 AM)Mouser Wrote: Rooney's Finest  are still my Holy Grail  and Rooneys in general are still my favorite brushes and anything Lee has a hand in including M&F and the others he's collaborated in, but there are so many fine shaving brush artists out there, and I do consider it an art.

Not a Finest but still really nice:

[Image: yc9s1CN.jpg]

Gorgeous!!

8 2,602
 05-08-2019, 04:39 AM
User Info
(05-08-2019, 03:09 AM)kooshman7 Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 01:10 AM)Tester28 Wrote: Anyone who hasn't tried one of the Wiborgs that were released with
ebony handles and White badger is missing out.

That hair is exquisite...so soft and luxurious....the lofts are a bit low 
so the backbone is just right and the hair has super gel-like properties
and hooked tips. Yet the hair doesn't appear stiff when dry.

Florian hit it out of the park with this series.

Had that exact setup and it just wasn’t for me. While soft, it was far too gel tipped. I’m not too big a fan of gel tip. Well, more to say a fan of most. Gel tip to me is Rooney 2-band heritage. Period. I don’t reach for it often, but love it when I’m in the mood. It somehow still maintains a tip presence that I can feel. I was using another gel tip today and while lathering up I wasn’t too keen for the feel, but after the lather was better mixed it felt somewhat better and I was able to take my mind off it more. Many others just lose the tip feel I expect.

I have a mental association with badger. I expect there to be some tip presence. Some liken it to angels massaging your face. That’s close to what I expect. I expect an angel with sleeves rolled up, arms braces to deliver a bracing massage, but when it comes to the deed the hands (tips) deliver just enough force to say I’m here, but not to rudely. More of a relax or come hither feel. 2-band doesn’t frequently show those properties which is fine. I like that more bracing feel those typically deliver too when in the mood, but for me, 3-band typically gives me more of the feeling I describe. Then there are times a brush doesn’t care about your preconceived notions and throws a curveball and beans you upside the head and just makes you step back in amazement at what it has to offer. Times like that are great.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had the White Badger Wiborg, but the comments about it not appearing stiff when dry ring a bell for me and seem to recall noticing that as well. Soft tips indeed and very gel like. Much better than the knots you can buy from any vendor, but it couldn’t outdo 2-band Rooney heritage for me. Everything else was quite similar, but superior tip feel went to Rooney. I wish anyone luck in getting one and that Florian’s health improves enough to start putting them out more. It might be exactly what you want. Having experienced it, I would recommend chasing Rooney 2-band Heritage. A tiny bit less rare, but I have seen a few come up here and there, and can be had for a much better price in my opinion than what some of the Wiborgs are going for.

nice post....loads of info....thanks for sharing.

2 255
 05-08-2019, 04:41 AM
User Info
another nice brush that also has the gel tip effect (altho less) is the Thater Fun fan available at bull goose.

those tips do get stiff when dry but soften quite miraculously when wet. In my rotation currently with great results.

superb brush and great value.

2 255
 05-08-2019, 11:27 AM
User Info
[Image: 3f9371357ca8457e440525df5694b371.jpg]

I seriously dislike this hype and the crazy prices, folks reselling and making money with an admittedly fine and scarce brush.

No need to get upset.
There are many other fine brushes on the market.

I happen to like those.
Do find something else.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 243
 05-08-2019, 11:48 AM
User Info
Why should anyone else care about 2 people having a private transaction that they both mutually agreed to?  I've never gotten the justification for that indignation.

1 499