09-17-2012, 09:27 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
What an unbelievable thing going on with the new iPhone 5 as they are selling at the rate of 16 every second. But Android still outsells the iPhone by a wide margin.

100 12,450
 09-17-2012, 09:39 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
It certainly is a crazy thing, people are going nuts about a new iPhone. Funny thing is, it isn't even much of an improvement! Apple also made the horrible decision of creating a whole new plug in for charging making all previous devices useless with it. Way to screw over your market, Apple. I'll stick with my Android.

35 1,732
 09-17-2012, 09:46 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(09-17-2012, 09:39 AM)Tonality Wrote: It certainly is a crazy thing, people are going nuts about a new iPhone. Funny thing is, it isn't even much of an improvement! Apple also made the horrible decision of creating a whole new plug in for charging making all previous devices useless with it. Way to screw over your market, Apple. I'll stick with my Android.

Regarding the new plug my Daughter in law also complained about it.
She uses the 1Phone 4 and very happy with it. To me the big improvement is the battery its suppose to last much longer between charges.

100 12,450
 09-17-2012, 09:52 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I'd like an iPhone 5 but am in no rush. I'm grandfathered into a great plan and any new smartphone I get will up my monthly cost by $10.00. So, besides the initial cost of the phone, it would cost me another $240.00 over the life of a two year contract. Of course, that would be just as true for a new whiz-bang-delight Samsung Galaxy III-S so if I was to get a new phone, I'd choose the iPhone 5 for its compatibility with my iMac and iPad.

2 11,211
 09-17-2012, 10:16 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I was up 3am ET on this past Friday so that I could get my order in before it sold out. Got it in in time, so I'll be enjoying my new phone Friday!

9 408
 09-17-2012, 10:27 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
I´m kind of old school. Have a Nokia c2-01. Its a basic phone but with a decent camera and some decent games. I´m happy with it. Sure if anyone throw one of those iPhone 5 after me i wouldnt mind. Biggrin But i would never pay that much for a phone.

0 284
 09-17-2012, 11:41 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(09-17-2012, 10:27 AM)Johan Wrote: I´m kind of old school. Have a Nokia c2-01. Its a basic phone but with a decent camera and some decent games. I´m happy with it. Sure if anyone throw one of those iPhone 5 after me i wouldnt mind. Biggrin But i would never pay that much for a phone.

Exactly how I feel. My old phone is a Samsung SGH-a737 and it works just fine.

173 23,553
 09-17-2012, 11:49 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I have an early I phone. Would I get another one doubtful. The charger plug has been an issue for me, I have to replace mine 3 times. If you bend the cord in any way it breaks at the base.

1 3,507
 09-17-2012, 01:49 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
iPhone vs Android... This will never end. There are advantages to both and this will never change. I'd trade a new plug for more battery life, these new chargers will be available in China for a dollar soon enough.

88 4,233
 09-19-2012, 06:13 PM
User Info
(09-17-2012, 09:39 AM)Tonality Wrote: Apple also made the horrible decision of creating a whole new plug in for charging making all previous devices useless with it. Way to screw over your market, Apple. I'll stick with my Android.

I never cared for that bazillion pronged port they used to use, but I do wonder how that adapter plug will work with all those luxury cars which touted ipod integration. I am not sure how many just used a cable vs. some sort of true in car dock.

129 6,685
 09-19-2012, 07:06 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
(09-19-2012, 06:13 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(09-17-2012, 09:39 AM)Tonality Wrote: Apple also made the horrible decision of creating a whole new plug in for charging making all previous devices useless with it. Way to screw over your market, Apple. I'll stick with my Android.

I never cared for that bazillion pronged port they used to use, but I do wonder how that adapter plug will work with all those luxury cars which touted ipod integration. I am not sure how many just used a cable vs. some sort of true in car dock.

I'm curious about that as well. I work for Mercedes, and our new line of 2013's finally integrated the iPhone's video capability. I'm sure there's some German engineer hard at work designing a new interface cable as we speak.

9 408
 09-19-2012, 07:31 PM
User Info
What I unbelievable is that Apple decided that new Apps wont be compatible with the 3GS. Like I will change Cell Phone because there is a couple of new apps pffff NOP I ain't an Apple guy who need the latest PHONE

0 23
 09-19-2012, 07:46 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
(09-19-2012, 07:31 PM)Maxime D. Wrote: What I unbelievable is that Apple decided that new Apps wont be compatible with the 3GS. Like I will change Cell Phone because there is a couple of new apps pffff NOP I ain't an Apple guy who need the latest PHONE

I am! Wink. I skip every (s) model, and wait for the new 4,5,6 etc... to come out.

9 408
 09-19-2012, 07:47 PM
User Info
Boy, do i feel archaic or i must be a Luddite as i have never owned a cell phone, ever! i guess i will just stick to shaving!Rolleyes

75 20,883
 09-19-2012, 08:09 PM
User Info
I had never used Apple products (other than in elementary school) until 5+ years ago. At that time I got 2 iMacs & a MacBook Pro (primarily for work, but also personal). It was weird at first but within a couple weeks I knew that I wouldn't be getting another PC anytime soon (maybe never). The iPhone fits this bill as well compared to other phones for me. Everything syncs easily so I have my stuff wherever I go. While some complain of the closed platform, I applaud the stability & consistency. Android is open but has hundreds, possibly thousands, of dialects. So while the phone and apps may speak the same language, they don't always communicate. I'm a huge proponent of the KISS method & I find this much more prevalent with iPhone (Apple) vs android (& pc).

Just my 1 cent.

(09-19-2012, 07:46 PM)biggiej42 Wrote:
(09-19-2012, 07:31 PM)Maxime D. Wrote: What I unbelievable is that Apple decided that new Apps wont be compatible with the 3GS. Like I will change Cell Phone because there is a couple of new apps pffff NOP I ain't an Apple guy who need the latest PHONE

I am! Wink. I skip every (s) model, and wait for the new 4,5,6 etc... to come out.

I've followed this process as well.

31 7,914
 09-19-2012, 08:47 PM
User Info
Someday, the apple will fall, this is unavoidable. They can't stop their rivals to make quality products for half the price, they can't stop other from having good ideas, good ideas that aren't branded with the apple dark seal.

0 23
 09-20-2012, 02:30 PM
  • Everett
  • Lurk-Exer
  • Darlingford, MB
User Info
I have been one of those following the every other model upgrade to this point, and now that its time the 5 came out, my 4 is still serving me more than well, and I have no need to upgrade at this point.

I've been on both sides of the android/iphone fence, and I would have to agree with Brian, I find my jailbroken iphone to be the happy medium. It works, its simple, polished, compatible, and I can still get to the inner workings and make it do what I need it to do with a jailbreak. Android on the other hand in my experience, worked as follows: Get new shiny android phone. New os version comes out. Wait 3 months for update, and finally update. New version comes out again, phone obsolete, because 16 new android phones have come out since mine, 8 of them from the same manufacturer. Jump over to custom roms to get latest os. Stability good most of the time, but consistent APN issues, and issues with mobile data, and MMS, etc. This is the reason I keep going back to a jailbroken i device.

As far as the new connector goes, I say good riddance to the dock connector, the fragile old piece of technology it is. I have never broken one, but know many people that have. I have also had to clean mine several times over the life of the phone, because it is literally a dust magnet. There are times where I pull balls of dust out of it. Not to mention the lightning connector being smaller, faster, and apparently more robust. I guess only time will tell. I am not an apple fanboy by any means, but I have been more than happy with my 4.

0 19
 09-22-2012, 07:26 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I'm 3GS, but the new dock connector has me actually thinking of a new 4GS. I really like my Bose Soundock Portable and still want to use it for a long time.

135 1,947
 09-23-2012, 10:53 AM
User Info
Has anybody got a new Iphone 5? If you did what is the feedback?

0 91
 09-23-2012, 11:56 AM
User Info
(09-23-2012, 10:53 AM)ChicagoShaving Wrote: Has anybody got a new Iphone 5? If you did what is the feedback?

Check back with me in about 3 more months. Winky

31 7,914