05-10-2019, 10:35 AM
User Info
Ordered on the site westcostshaving Shaving Soap GD NYChypre Expo. I paid, westcostshaving. They confirmed the order and were silent for several days. Then a few days later they reported that they had resold to another person and that they no longer had this soap in the warehouse. The standard apologies and wishes of a good day on their part look like low-grade sarcasm. Money spoils people. Unpleasant experience with them. I hope this is tricky for ordinary employees.

I want to say a few good words about Grooming Dept. Specifically about Mohhamad. I previously ordered soap from him and after reading here good reviews about whey and preshave also decided to buy them too. On the GD website it's over. Since I live far from the US and I collected the parcel from different stores to send home, I wrote to Mohhamad to help with the purchase. He immediately replied and said that he put preshave in my package.

When I shared with him that the WCS deceived me, Mohhamad immediately responded and offered to send samples. 

Feel the difference between the huckster and honest artisans?

A sense of respect and gratitude for Mohhamad overwhelms me. Simple sincere action! 

If Mohhamad asks me to donate some valuable soap to WCS, I'll do it.

0 60
 05-10-2019, 02:51 PM
User Info
Just so I understand the complaint: WCS ran out of the product you ordered, and apologized for the inconvenience. Is that correct?
What did you mean about: “they resold to another person?”

34 1,808
 05-10-2019, 03:30 PM
User Info
I think there is something being lost in translation here. I have never experienced anything less than very good customer service from WCS.

64 5,182
 05-10-2019, 04:45 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I ordered the same soap and had the same experience, and it's not the first time. I received a broken bottle of aftershave after it was shipped in a box without padding. When the same think happened with the replacement, even though I sent a photo, they essentially said I was lying but reluctantly agreed to send it again. Instead of aftershave, I received the same product only it was beard balm instead of aftershave, and they refused to send it again. I've only had difficulty with them since the change in ownership a few years ago. There are too many other vendors that give excellent service. I can't tell you how many times I've ordered from Phil and received the item the following day.

38 5,888
 05-10-2019, 09:41 PM
User Info
(05-10-2019, 02:51 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Just so I understand the complaint: WCS ran out of the product you ordered, and apologized for the inconvenience. Is that correct?

Here is the WCS letter 4 days later (!) after my order:
«Hi! Actually, we have bad news. This item was accidentally oversold and we will not be getting this soap in as it was a limited addition. So, we are really sorry, but we had to go and cancel your order. We have issued a refund and you should see this credit in two to three business days. Again, our sincerest apologies!»

I specifically tracked Grooming dept products for purchase and when I found this offer I did not buy elsewhere. If they immediately said I would have had time to buy in another place.
I have no doubt that WCS do not know how to work with clients! 

There is a good continuation of the story: from Grooming Dept in particular from Mohhamad! He sent a letter where he said that he had put in my order as a gift to the NYChypre Expo Limited Editon. I am confused and delighted at the same time!

0 60
 05-10-2019, 10:08 PM
User Info
Ordered a big stash of soap from them a while ago and all went smoothly.
I even had to call from overseas and talk to a lady from WCS, she was polite 
and helpful. 

OP, can understand your frustration, but some of these shops do not update 
inventory in real time so it's possible  someone may have clicked the 
buy button before you did.

2 256
 05-10-2019, 10:49 PM
User Info
I loved finding out I was being taxed in NY with shipments from California when they neither warehouse, produce or the artisan isnt located in NY. Turns out they tax because they can, not because they have to or should via one on their team who acts as a tax nexus loophole in an accord between NY, CA and MD. 

Basically a backdoor scam like other businesses who curry for abatements and other favor by collecting that in which isnt unecessary. They produce nothing I want or need, the problem is they've taken on artisans who find it easier marketing through their site. Only a certain few know why I wont purchase through them. And yes, internet sales taxes have recently been considered constitutional by states who pursued in desperation of their budgets but it has not been legislated on and certainly not law. I find it sneaky and underhanded practice.

0 5
 05-11-2019, 08:06 AM
User Info
(05-10-2019, 10:49 PM)zero9michael Wrote: I loved finding out I was being taxed in NY with shipments from California when they neither warehouse, produce or the artisan isnt located in NY. Turns out they tax because they can, not because they have to or should via one on their team who acts as a tax nexus loophole in an accord between NY, CA and MD. 

Basically a backdoor scam like other businesses who curry for abatements and other favor by collecting that in which isnt unecessary. They produce nothing I want or need, the problem is they've taken on artisans who find it easier marketing through their site. Only a certain few know why I wont purchase through them. And yes, internet sales taxes have recently been considered constitutional by states who pursued in desperation of their budgets but it has not been legislated on and certainly not law. I find it sneaky and underhanded practice.

I don’t want to take us too far off-topic - and this is probably worthy of it’s own thread, but the beef with collecting sales-tax from online purchases rests with the state not the vendor.

Quote:On June 21, 2018, the United States Supreme Court fundamentally changed the rules for collection of sales tax by Internet-based retailers. In its decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair Inc., the Court effectively stated that individual states can require online sellers to collect state sales tax on their sales. This ruling overturns the Court’s 1992 decision in Quill Corporation v. North Dakota. The Quill case prohibited states from requiring a business to collect sales tax unless the business had a physical presence in the state.
from: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/...-laws.html

New York’s specific nexus requirements are:
- Has cumulative total gross receipts of sales made or facilitated of property delivered in New York exceeding $300,000, or
- Has made or facilitated more than 100 sales of property delivered in New York.
from: https://www.salestaxinstitute.com/resour...provisions

And here is the master chart for all states: https://www.salestaxinstitute.com/resour...exus-chart
The days of buying online without sales tax are fading away. Either the vendor will collect it, or they’ll report it and you’ll pay at the end of the year tax-time.

34 1,808
 05-11-2019, 09:11 AM
User Info
I did mention exactly what you cited, however when pressed on the issue and knowing full well it has NOT been legislated as mandatory nor law and further their rep states that they "can", and knowing that you can have an LLC and or any "nexus: can be "working" from home for that matter it is far too easy and being as one of em is a lawyer by trade they know this. Its not far off topic when it comes to stringent practices and seeking money wherever it can come from. They do not warehouse in NY, they do not ship from NY, they do not produce in NY and the artisans to which they represent do not come from NY. However, one in particular does work as an attorney in NY. How it's set up is a "headquarters" I'm a small office. Again just because it's legal does not make it moral.

0 5
 05-11-2019, 09:13 AM
User Info
Just look up tax nexus.

0 5
 05-11-2019, 09:27 AM
User Info
(05-11-2019, 09:13 AM)zero9michael Wrote: Just look up tax nexus.

I believe I quoted the tax nexus - so this post is irrelevant.

34 1,808
 05-11-2019, 10:13 AM
User Info
(05-11-2019, 09:11 AM)zero9michael Wrote: They do not warehouse in NY, they do not ship from NY, they do not produce in NY and the artisans to which they represent do not come from NY. However, one in particular does work as an attorney in NY. How it's set up is a "headquarters" I'm a small office. Again just because it's legal does not make it moral.

It’s not about where the product comes from, it’s about taxing in relation to where it is shipped to. If you live in NY, you’ll end up paying NY taxes. That’s why I pay CO taxes when I purchase online.

34 1,808
 05-11-2019, 12:26 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(05-11-2019, 08:06 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: The days of buying online without sales tax are fading away.

This is true. We don't have to like it, but we will have to live with it.

10 746
 05-11-2019, 12:32 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(05-10-2019, 09:41 PM)certif Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 02:51 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Just so I understand the complaint: WCS ran out of the product you ordered, and apologized for the inconvenience. Is that correct?

Here is the WCS letter 4 days later (!) after my order:
«Hi! Actually, we have bad news. This item was accidentally oversold and we will not be getting this soap in as it was a limited addition. So, we are really sorry, but we had to go and cancel your order. We have issued a refund and you should see this credit in two to three business days. Again, our sincerest apologies!»

I specifically tracked Grooming dept products for purchase and when I found this offer I did not buy elsewhere. If they immediately said I would have had time to buy in another place.
I have no doubt that WCS do not know how to work with clients! 

There is a good continuation of the story: from Grooming Dept in particular from Mohhamad! He sent a letter where he said that he had put in my order as a gift to the NYChypre Expo Limited Editon. I am confused and delighted at the same time!

I feel bad that you were not able to get your soap, but the message from WCS is just a standard apology and sounds professional to me. I don't sense any sarcasm.

10 746
 05-11-2019, 03:50 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
sorry to hear that there have been CS problems with WCS which I doubt means worst customer service. I haven't had any probs but these one issue special soaps are problematic on both sides of the bill. Also the time it takes for a new batch to be made and cure properly makes some of these artisan companies look like they are going out of business as everything seems to be sold out. the same goes for artisan razors, brushes etc. all of the good stuff is in and then out of stock in a day or two. 

As this is mothers day eve in the US, we are thinking about our moms. After my first broken teenage heart, my mom told me there are more fish in the sea. I guess teenage girls and artisans and shaving companies are keeping the fish company as well. Not to worry, the next one will be the best one of them all.

0 252
 05-11-2019, 03:54 PM
User Info
Never had any problems with WCS. Just received a Simpson brush from them last week that is really great.

Side note - Phil provides the best customer service in the business. I always order from him when he has what I’m looking for.

0 214
 05-11-2019, 04:10 PM
User Info
(05-11-2019, 12:26 PM)Puma Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 08:06 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: The days of buying online without sales tax are fading away.

If we want to get technical about it, everyone is supposed to be paying taxes on internet sales. It’s a use tax and it’s self-reported. Of course enforcing that is virtually impossible.

88 1,536
 05-11-2019, 04:15 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-11-2019, 04:10 PM)jpakstis Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 12:26 PM)Puma Wrote:

If we want to get technical about it, everyone is supposed  to be paying taxes on internet sales.  It’s a use tax and it’s self-reported.  Of course enforcing that is virtually impossible.

Yes, it has or had always been that way. I really hope that they do not require vendors to collect tax for other states because it would be a nightmare. There are often times additional county and city taxes. Its enough of a headache the way it is now.

52 20,613