09-17-2012, 10:13 AM
User Info
I want to preface this by saying I'm a puck in a shaving mug lather maker.

After being reasonably content with my Van Der Hagen Drugstore Bore I recently purchased a Semogue 830.It excells at painting a smooth thin even coat of lather without having to lay it on thick to ensure coverage. I like everything about it the Semogue except I really have to work at creating lather,the VDH is effortless in comparison.

Why ?

I know that the tip of the VDH looks ratty,it's clumped together boar bristles crisscrossing in all directions and half the time even though It's been around a while I'll see another  bristle fell out during my shave.

I like the 830 more in almost every way but making lather's the foundation,the opening kickoff to start the game and for this task,my cheap drugstore brush is dominate.

I sense I can change something I'm doing to bring the 830 up to speed and get it to create lather as well as the brush from the other side of the tracks.

Not sure what to do different....

7 414
 09-17-2012, 10:15 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Sorry my friend , I dont think that I understand whats going wrong with your 830.Do you have a pic of the brush? Its maybe a defective brush?

86 7,124
 09-17-2012, 10:52 AM
User Info
(09-17-2012, 10:15 AM)Teiste Wrote: Sorry my friend , I dont think that I understand whats going wrong with your 830.Do you have a pic of the brush? Its maybe a defective brush?

I can't post a pic of the 830 right now but it seemed to be a well constructed quality brush that compared to my previous brushes needed no initial break in.I'm wondering if perhaps I'm not used to working with a brush that's more refined than my old brush with it's coarse bristles probably dug into the soap puck's surface a bit more....

I don't want to abuse the 830 by using too much pressure but I'm guessing I might need to press a bit harder than I'm used to with my old brush.

7 414
 09-17-2012, 10:58 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
It has to go through a break in period. I don't think you can abuse it Biggrin

88 4,233
 09-17-2012, 11:20 AM
User Info
(09-17-2012, 10:58 AM)beartrap Wrote: It has to go through a break in period. I don't think you can abuse it Biggrin

+1- looks like you may be holding back a bit with the 830. Mash that puppy into the soap, the Semogues are tough brushes and will take it. Additionally, those rough, ragged, and overly stiff VDH bristles might be more effective at chewing up soap than the more refined bristles on the Semogue, but that is where I think any benefit ends- once those bristles hit your face you're in for a rough and bumpy ride.

Give it a little time, the Semogue will come through for you.

5 938
 09-17-2012, 01:15 PM
User Info
Good stuff thanks all...

I usually let some warm water sit on the soap's surface for a bit then pour off the excess and start lathering.

Tried an experiment when I returned home:I poured warmer than usual water onto my soap and let it sit a little longer and that seems to soften it up a bit to definitely increase the 830's lathering effectiviness more into line with what I'd been used to.

7 414
 09-17-2012, 08:43 PM
User Info
You may need to give it a few weeks to break in and have the bristles split. Are you allowing it to dry thoroughly as this will help the break-in period? A 48-hour drying time is very helpful and you should not be afraid to work the brush into the soap and mug as they are very resilient. Also, load for longer periods of time as it is a newer brush, i assume. Good luck.

75 20,884
 09-18-2012, 06:13 AM
User Info
(09-17-2012, 08:43 PM)celestino Wrote: You may need to give it a few weeks to break in and have the bristles split. Are you allowing it to dry thoroughly as this will help the break-in period? A 48-hour drying time is very helpful and you should not be afraid to work the brush into the soap and mug as they are very resilient. Also, load for longer periods of time as it is a newer brush, i assume. Good luck.

Great information....
I'm going to modify my routine accordingly
Thank You

7 414