05-16-2019, 02:46 PM
User Info
(05-16-2019, 01:27 PM)RyznRio Wrote: There is no thrill for me due to the constant out of stock condition. I do my research decide on a product for example a colonial general. Great razor right price unobtanium. A new v2 on the way and what 40 razors? Sold out before noon. Same is true for brushes soaps splashes and balms. It’s BORING. I have what I have and get a DFS every shave. What exactly should I be excited about again?
Signs011 
Wolfman and Varlet to name just two.   Angry

69 5,331
 05-16-2019, 02:56 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-16-2019, 01:27 PM)RyznRio Wrote: There is no thrill for me due to the constant out of stock condition. I do my research decide on a product for example a colonial general. Great razor right price unobtanium. A new v2 on the way and what 40 razors? Sold out before noon. Same is true for brushes soaps splashes and balms. It’s BORING. I have what I have and get a DFS every shave. What exactly should I be excited about again?

One reason the runs are so small is that the market no longer supports a large run. They could have done a run of 1000 and their unit cost would have been significantly less but, they would run the risk of being stuck with 800 of them. It seems that the new model is micro runs. I'm not wild about it either.

52 20,735
 05-16-2019, 03:40 PM
User Info
(05-16-2019, 02:56 PM)bullgoose Wrote:

One reason the runs are so small is that the market no longer supports a large run. They could have done a run of 1000 and their unit cost would have been significantly less but, they would run the risk of being stuck with 800 of them. It seems that the new model is micro runs. I'm not wild about it either.
Understand your point regarding quantity, Phil, but what irks me is the selling model. I literally had a Varlet in my cart, but before I could get the credit card info typed out, the product was sold out from under me. When I commented to the manufacturer about his practice, the response was...crickets. Ask me if I am going to subject myself to that again...

69 5,331
 05-16-2019, 04:06 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I hear you Primo. I don’t like it either.

52 20,735
 05-16-2019, 04:08 PM
User Info
(05-16-2019, 03:40 PM)primotenore Wrote:

Understand your point regarding quantity, Phil, but what irks me is the selling model. I literally had a Varlet in my cart, but before I could get the credit card info typed out, the product was sold out from under me. When I commented to the manufacturer about his practice, the response was...crickets. Ask me if I am going to subject myself to that again...

Wait until you see what happens with the paladin brushes I mean there’s more quantity and that will help.

If you were trying to buy the varlet and not the everset, there was 1 brush per shape. But I imagine there will be an absolute mad dash for these paladin brushes

1 137
 05-16-2019, 04:14 PM
User Info

I seem to remember The Varlet stating he only had one available of each Varlet offering, the Everset offerings didn't mention quantities available. I tried for one of the Varlet offerings and missed, I was frustrated as well, you aren't alone. At the end of the day, it's his business, to offer however he pleases really.

11 591
 05-16-2019, 04:16 PM
User Info
(05-16-2019, 04:14 PM)vigilantesd Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 02:56 PM)bullgoose Wrote: One reason the runs are so small is that the market no longer supports a large run. They could have done a run of 1000 and their unit cost would have been significantly less but, they would run the risk of being stuck with 800 of them. It seems that the new model is micro runs. I'm not wild about it either.

I seem to remember The Varlet stating he only had one available of each Varlet offering, the Everset offerings didn't mention quantities available. I tried for one of the Varlet offerings and missed, I was frustrated as well, you aren't alone. At the end of the day, it's his business, to offer however he pleases really.
Excuse me, but is it too much to ask for a 5 minute hold so us "slow typers" can enter the darn cc info in??? I think not, especially when you sit at the darn computer and count down the seconds; successfully add the product into your cart, only to have it snatched out, by what is probably a bot. 

69 5,331
 05-16-2019, 04:17 PM
User Info
(05-16-2019, 04:16 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 04:14 PM)vigilantesd Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 03:40 PM)primotenore Wrote: Understand your point regarding quantity, Phil, but what irks me is the selling model. I literally had a Varlet in my cart, but before I could get the credit card info typed out, the product was sold out from under me. When I commented to the manufacturer about his practice, the response was...crickets. Ask me if I am going to subject myself to that again...

Excuse me, but is it too much to ask for a 5 minute hold so us "slow typers" can can the darn cc info in??? I think not. 

That’s just not the way Shopify web stores
Are set up from what I know.

1 137
 05-16-2019, 04:20 PM
User Info
(05-16-2019, 04:17 PM)Kehole Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 04:16 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 04:14 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: I seem to remember The Varlet stating he only had one available of each Varlet offering, the Everset offerings didn't mention quantities available. I tried for one of the Varlet offerings and missed, I was frustrated as well, you aren't alone. At the end of the day, it's his business, to offer however he pleases really.
Excuse me, but is it too much to ask for a 5 minute hold so us "slow typers" can can the darn cc info in??? I think not. 

You can't tell me that there isn't a program out there to allow for exactly what I am talking about.

69 5,331
 05-16-2019, 04:20 PM
User Info
Hey Phil,

Will there be a one brush per customer limit or will folks be able to grab multiple brushes?

1 137
 05-16-2019, 04:23 PM
User Info
(05-16-2019, 04:20 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 04:17 PM)Kehole Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 04:16 PM)primotenore Wrote: Excuse me, but is it too much to ask for a 5 minute hold so us "slow typers" can can the darn cc info in??? I think not. 

You can't tell me that there isn't a program out there to allow for exactly what I am talking about.

I wouldn’t pretend to know. I know that almost every vendor online uses the same method and rules that im aware of. There is likely a reason? Maybe they’re afraid of folks putting all their inventory in a cart and locking it up so other folks can’t purchase anything? Just speculating. I don’t run e-commerce businesses, but I assume that you’re point on view isn’t unique, and I doubt any vendor purposefully goes out of their way to anger customers.

1 137
 05-16-2019, 09:33 PM
User Info
In my mind, this is not a "shaving" problem; it's an "economics" problem. The key is to expand the market. I don't say that expanding the market is easy, but I do think it is the answer. 

I also agree that since there are so many good products nowadays (compared to say 10 years ago) that finding a setup that works for you is easier. Many guys (not all, not even most) won't go exploring more once they have found a setup that works. Many men are simple creatures, me included. They just want something that works.

17 388
 05-17-2019, 07:49 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(05-12-2019, 11:23 AM)bullgoose Wrote: At the risk of sounding like the get off my lawn guy, the golden era of wet shaving has long passed. Some of you may disagree and point to the fact that there are more products available than ever before from artisan soaps to custom brushes to stainless steel razors. In fact, it seems as if there are new products every single day. This is indisputable. It is also the problem.  How so you ask?

Nobody gets excited about anything anymore. After several years of in your face hucksters churning out new products at a dizzying pace, wet shavers as a whole (which is still a fairly small market) have simply grown numb to it.  There is no longer great anticipation for a product release and nothing seems to move the needle anymore. 

The thrill is still very present for me. Yes, there is a lot of rubbish out there regarding shaving products, but there are also some outstanding products too. Razors just keep getting smoother and smoother at shaving, while gaining increased efficiency. The high-end products concentrating on skincare (e.g. Sē'bŭm Gold) appear to be gaining traction. There is far more wet shaving social media.

(05-12-2019, 11:23 AM)bullgoose Wrote: This point was really driven home recently with the Janus razor. Several years ago, a remake of the toggle (especially a stainless steel version) would have caused wet shavers to soil themselves. Janus has been working on this project for about two years and, they are finally close to making it a reality. Despite this, all I hear is crickets.

I have followed the progress of the Janus razor since its inception. Where the excitement of the Janus ceases for me is its price and its way too many thirty-six parts (a cleaning nightmare for someone like me). When DE or SE razors go past the four-hundred dollar threshold, I will look at and purchase a custom-made straight razor versus a DE or SE. I find more satisfaction in owning a handmade good versus a machined product above that price threshold. Straight razors can cost a couple of thousand dollar depending on the craftsman, but they are worth it to me.

(05-12-2019, 11:23 AM)bullgoose Wrote: At the risk of sounding like the get off my lawn guy...

Last year I had Marathon II sod rolled onto yard, but rabbits have found favor with said sod and are proceeding to devour it. This year it will be replaced with artificial turf so I avoid being the “get off my lawn guy”. See, I just adjusted my threshold without losing my thrill.

15 699
 05-17-2019, 11:14 PM
User Info
I’ve been in the game since 2011.

Currently I have 100-200 great shaving soaps that I need to use up before buying new stuff, so my interest in this area is close to zero for that reason.

I now own the badger brushes I need. 4 Thäters and 6 custom made Shavemacs.
Have owned 100+ badgers, among them 25-30 Simpsons, they are all sold now since they did not live up to my preferences.

I own 20-25 after shaves and 300+ fragrances.

I got the razors I want, 12 in total.
At one point I owned 50 DE razors. All sold now.

In short: I’m full.

This is why I personally don’t show an interest in new releases. I simply don’t care any longer.

25 6,561
 05-17-2019, 11:51 PM
User Info
(05-17-2019, 11:14 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I’ve been in the game since 2011.

Currently I have 100-200 great shaving soaps that I need to use up before buying new stuff, so my interest in this area is close to zero for that reason.

I own the badger brushes I need. 4 Thäters and 6 custom made Shavemacs.

I own 20-25 after shaves and 300+ fragrances.

I got the razors I want, 12 in total.

In short: I’m full.

This is why I personally don’t show an interest in new releases. I simply don’t care any longer.

you are well stocked up for Armageddon, Sir.

3 280
 05-18-2019, 07:31 PM
User Info
I also started in 2011. I find the secondary market is tighter when I try to sell razors. I am currently looking for a DE for when I travel, and am carefully researching. I've found my straight razors, (12) and 2 DEs. I try to finish my soaps, so other than recent great discoveries, I'm not looking for that. Just slowly improve my honing stones setup. But I notice more DEs for sale around, and more variety in the shaving departments.

0 53