05-15-2019, 04:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Today is PEACE OFFICERS MEMORIAL DAY. It was established in 1961 as part of National Police Week. Of all observances during this week, we reverence this day the most. We honor and remember those law enforcement officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice in serving the public. They have been taken from us too early. They leave behind grieving families, coworkers and communities. So far this year we have lost 42 law enforcement officers in this country - from California to Maine, Washington to Florida, and many states in between...including Wisconsin. Never forget.

[Image: 2PIH49E.jpg]

185 25,627
 05-15-2019, 05:30 AM
User Info
It means something special to our little community here "on the hill". While the wife and I didn't know Officer Cole we like our LEOs and it's a fairly small community. The perp' who murdered Officer Cole (Maine) parked the stolen cruiser maybe 1/4 mile away and hoofed it into our backyard. Understand that our backyard adjoins many thousands of acres of woodland so it makes for a pretty big backyard. But on the first morning we woke up to choppers and fixed wing aircraft going back and forth, a K9 unit was pounding the puckerbrush, a Tac' squad in the dooryard and an armored vehicle. It quickly escalated to that anyway. Our phone rang early on and it was a neighbor telling me what happened and to keep an eye open. I think about that same time the entire hill locked and loaded. At one point the perp' was (near as I can figure) not more than 40 yards from where the wife and I slept as the door to the guinea fowl coop was NOT the way I leave it after closing it for the night and his wallet was found in the back 40 maybe 100 yards away.

It made for a very interesting 4 days, and a time I'll never forget.

FWIW, the perp was found a few miles away and on the other side of the hill. He'd made it that far.

https://www.wabi.tv/content/news/UPDATE-...55321.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...553107002/

32 6,574
 05-15-2019, 05:55 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Two years ago we lost one of our officers that was shot by a crazed soon to be ex-husband who shot and killed two ladies the ex-wife worked with as well as the ex-wife's female attorney.  He ambushed the officer from an upstairs apartment window.  The perp did not survive the police response.

185 25,627
 05-15-2019, 07:29 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Johnny, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

15 3,615