05-16-2019, 01:01 PM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
So I got on the hype train this years and bought some soaps.   All top tier supposedly.  They are all soft soaps, some more than others.   Almost cream like.  WTF!  Ariana and Evans, Wholly Kaw, CRSW Glide, B&M new base, Deceleration Grooming, and few more new artisans.   Half the weight of the puck is water!

Is this a new trend with the added skin foods!  I miss the semi hard pucks.  

Love my MDC and SV even more since trying these new soft soaps.

5 124
 05-16-2019, 01:41 PM
User Info
CRSW Glide is labeled a "shaving cream soap," so it's supposed to have that soft consistency.  The CRSW Select has a harder consistency.  I do wish CRSW would make the Olfactory Hue scent available in Select.

57 9,045
 05-16-2019, 02:26 PM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
(05-16-2019, 01:41 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: CRSW Glide is labeled a "shaving cream soap," so it's supposed to have that soft consistency.  The CRSW Select has a harder consistency.  I do wish CRSW would make the Olfactory Hue scent available in Select.

Perhaps.   But the vetiver modern from select line is really a cream too.

5 124
 05-16-2019, 02:37 PM
User Info
(05-16-2019, 02:26 PM)GKR1 Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 01:41 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: CRSW Glide is labeled a "shaving cream soap," so it's supposed to have that soft consistency.  The CRSW Select has a harder consistency.  I do wish CRSW would make the Olfactory Hue scent available in Select.

Perhaps.   But the vetiver modern from select line is really a cream too.

I have a recollection of reading a post by Larry explaining why some of his soaps are softer.  Perhaps Larry will address this here.

57 9,045
 05-16-2019, 03:36 PM
User Info
I love Martin De Candre, vintage Ralph Lauren Safari, vintage Old Spice, Carthusia Uomo, AOS Sandalwood (discontinued Tallow), Mitchell’s Wool Fat, and Tabac!

These all hard pucks, and in my opinion they are all amazing in every category! I don’t think that one could go wrong with any of these choices!

Vr

Matt

21 1,133
 05-17-2019, 11:07 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Agree with the OP regarding North American artisans, plus the fragrances that don’t do much for me. MdC, AoS tallow, Pre de Provence are all low water soaps. PdP is supposedly quad milled, and it will take you a month to wear the writing off the puck. I like soaps that a puck/tub will last a year or close to it, if I don’t waste it.

8 733
 05-18-2019, 05:05 AM
User Info
(05-16-2019, 01:01 PM)GKR1 Wrote: So I got on the hype train this years and bought some soaps.   All top tier supposedly.  They are all soft soaps, some more than others.   Almost cream like.  WTF!  Ariana and Evans, Wholly Kaw, CRSW Glide, B&M new base, Deceleration Grooming, and few more new artisans.   Half the weight of the puck is water!

Is this a new trend with the added skin foods!  I miss the semi hard pucks.  

I won't speak for the other soap making companies you listed but I will clear up your misconceptions concerning our GLIDE Shaving Cream Soap.

Our GLIDE soap IS NOT half the weight in water. It can't be, we do not use ANY water in the formulation. The only water found in GLIDE can be attributed to the natural amount occurring in the Aloe Vera Juice and Goat Milk we use.

That however is not the whole story...

We use many more "soft oils" in GLIDE, (Sunflower Oil, Castor Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rice Bran Oil) and in greater quantities as opposed to a traditional shaving soap. This contributes greatly to to the softer, cream like texture of the soap. 

GLIDE is also made using a much higher percentage of Potassium Hydroxide to Sodium Hydroxide. This not only produces a softer soap but also has the added benefit of making the soap more water soluble allowing the user to use less product to achieve a great result.

Our GLIDE Shaving Cream Soap is just that, a "cream soap" and we state that clearly. It is a soft cream like shaving soap. If it is a semi hard shaving soap you are after, be it a puck or packed into a jar we do offer our SELECT and Schapenmelk shaving soaps.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion you have regarding at least in so far as CRSW products are concerned.

4 1,142
 05-18-2019, 05:04 PM
User Info
Thank you for your input Larry.  It's always interesting and informative.

57 9,045