05-23-2019, 12:21 PM
User Info
anyone know what the current status is on Mongoose? Since they came out with their Alumigoose and Minigoose models nothing is available to purchase anymore.

45 394
 05-24-2019, 05:43 AM
User Info
Apparently they stopped making razors. Basically there were two partners working out of Boca Raton, Florida really do this as a hobby rather being serious. I think at least one of the partners is a big executive for a company and the profit was secondary. I know they had a lot of build problems with various machine shops and that might have prompted them to close down the business. I had a Mongoose stainless steel razor and the top plate stud broke off. I never pursued it further with them as others tried and got no response or waited along time for a replacement part.

147 14,194
 05-24-2019, 06:26 AM
User Info
Well, I have three as it’s my favorite. For just this situation.

1 52
 05-24-2019, 06:28 AM
User Info
(05-24-2019, 05:43 AM)slantman Wrote: Apparently they stopped making razors. Basically there were two partners working out of Boca Raton, Florida really do this as a hobby rather being serious. I think at least one of the partners is a big executive for a company and the profit was secondary. I know they had a lot of build problems with various machine shops and that might have prompted them to close down the business. I had a Mongoose stainless steel razor and the top plate stud broke off. I never pursued it further with them as others tried and got no response or waited along time for a replacement part.

I figured as much. I got in on the second iteration of the Mongoose. I had tried a friends, which was from the first batch, and the tabs that held the blade were shorter. Made loading it a bit of a hassle AFAIC. They lengthened the tabs on the second run, and solved that problem. 

I still have mine, a polished version. Great shave, but for me a bit like the Muhle R-41 2011. You have to pay attention or the blade will get your attention.  Smile

9 277
 05-24-2019, 10:13 AM
User Info
thanks for the replies. It would be nice to hear from Mongoose which version of their razors were from the best quality machine shop, but that will probably remain a mystery.

I have been smitten by the Alumigoose due to my preference for very light razors and recall when Mongoose razors were hot on this forum. Sad to see that due to various reasons they disappeared like other good razors from the active market.

45 394
 05-24-2019, 12:59 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
I am glad you posted this thread. I was wondering the same thing. For me, the Mongoose is always a fun and unique razor to use. It's sad news to hear they have decided to end production.

0 320
 05-24-2019, 01:10 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
I've received many a shave out of my Mongoose, but it fell behind as newer SE razors hit the scene with smoother shaving results. I'm thankful for their run and still enjoy my Mongoose.

15 699
 05-24-2019, 03:32 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-24-2019, 05:43 AM)slantman Wrote: Apparently they stopped making razors. Basically there were two partners working out of Boca Raton, Florida really do this as a hobby rather being serious. I think at least one of the partners is a big executive for a company and the profit was secondary. I know they had a lot of build problems with various machine shops and that might have prompted them to close down the business. I had a Mongoose stainless steel razor and the top plate stud broke off. I never pursued it further with them as others tried and got no response or waited along time for a replacement part.

Bruce Weber was the guy behind Mongoose and yes, he was or is a business executive. He stopped by my shop a couple of times when he was visiting Los Angeles.

52 20,803
 05-24-2019, 05:04 PM
User Info
(05-24-2019, 01:10 PM)Entasis Wrote: I've received many a shave out of my Mongoose, but it fell behind as newer SE razors hit the scene with smoother shaving results. I'm thankful for their run and still enjoy my Mongoose.

I agree with you, as far as my experience goes. When my buddy Obie posted about how great the Mongoose was I had to give it a shot. Certainly unique at that time. After awhile the ATT version came along and Obie liked it better. I tried that one and I liked it better too. It gives as close a shave, but without the potential of doing bodily harm if you're not careful Wink At least that is my take on it. I haven't tried any of the other SEs that have come along since.

9 277
 07-04-2019, 11:57 AM
User Info
The Mongoose is a superb performer. Try using a titanium handle, it changes the weight distribution towards the head giving you more control while making it more agile; this is also how pro tennis players have their racquets set up. While the Mongoose isn't as beautful as my Paradigm SE Titanium, it's far more efficient and has much better blade feel. I have two and they're on permanent rotation with Feather Pros.

28 521
 07-04-2019, 12:33 PM
User Info
Slightly modified Mongoose 1. To make it less weight:  clipped the head and screwed the titanium handle Jürgen Hempel Titanium Wave[Image: pNlDZHI.jpg]

1 80
 07-04-2019, 09:30 PM
User Info
(07-04-2019, 11:57 AM)mixershave Wrote: The Mongoose is a superb performer. Try using a titanium handle, it changes the weight distribution towards the head giving you more control while making it more agile; this is also how pro tennis players have their racquets set up. While the Mongoose isn't as beautful as my Paradigm SE Titanium, it's far more efficient and has much better blade feel. I have two and they're on permanent rotation with Feather Pros.

I agree wih you. For me Paradigm SE Ti a little better.

1 80
 07-04-2019, 11:29 PM
User Info
(07-04-2019, 09:30 PM)certif Wrote:
(07-04-2019, 11:57 AM)mixershave Wrote: The Mongoose is a superb performer. Try using a titanium handle, it changes the weight distribution towards the head giving you more control while making it more agile; this is also how pro tennis players have their racquets set up. While the Mongoose isn't as beautful as my Paradigm SE Titanium, it's far more efficient and has much better blade feel. I have two and they're on permanent rotation with Feather Pros.

I agree wih you. For me Paradigm SE Ti a little better.

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying. Pretty sure he’s saying the Goose is better

3 89
 07-05-2019, 03:25 AM
User Info
Unfortunately I misunderstood (my English is not so good).  I like my Paradigm SE more, but I can’t decide to sell my Mongoose

1 80
 07-05-2019, 08:03 PM
User Info
(07-05-2019, 03:25 AM)certif Wrote: Unfortunately I misunderstood (my English is not so good).  I like my Paradigm SE more, but I can’t decide to sell my Mongoose

Yes, the Mongoose is the better performer. The Paradigm SE is the better looker. 

Both are staying in the den!

28 521
 07-11-2019, 04:02 PM
User Info
Took out my Alumigoose the other day, but couldn't find what I'd done with the blades!  Guess I'll have to buy some more...

0 1,198
 07-12-2019, 06:13 AM
User Info
For me, the mongoose was the main machine for a very long time.  In travel I take the DE machine tools.  I have an exclusive DE machine that is made by friends (there are very few of them, because of it I sold both BBS and Wolfman 1).  Paradigm recently arrived and Mongoose has a serious competitor.  I will leave both razors for myself.  I liked the aluminum mongoose, but then I thoughtlessly decided not to keep it.  Now regret not leaving him.

1 80
 Yesterday, 05:36 AM
User Info
I purchased mangoose 2 and now I can carefully make a choice))

1 80