05-26-2019, 08:23 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(05-26-2019, 01:52 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 07:10 PM)Nero Wrote: If you know of any, please tell us today's secret musical prodigies that we should be listening to... save us the search.
Tell me your favorite genres and I will happily respond, Matt.
Let's start with rock.

91 3,778
 05-26-2019, 08:27 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(05-25-2019, 07:51 PM)Hanzo Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 07:10 PM)Nero Wrote: If you know of any, please tell us today's secret musical prodigies that we should be listening to... save us the search.

But the point everyone is trying to make to you is YOU have to search and find the music that moves you.

No, I want to hear what people think is worth listening to.

Like, if they came out AT THE SAME TIME, what would give Led Zeppelin/Beatles/Soundgarden/Simon & Garfunkel/Pink Floyd/Talking Heads/10,000 Maniacs/Stevie Ray Vaughn a run for their money? (The answer is "nothing"... But I'd love to be wrong.)

91 3,778
 05-26-2019, 08:36 AM
  • Nero
User Info
People hide behind the "everyone has to find what music they like" usually because they don't have a clue what constitutes good music (melody, originality, technical quality, songwriting ability, nuance, dynamics, variation, etc... Do these terms even ring a bell?)

91 3,778
 05-26-2019, 08:46 AM
  • Nero
User Info
Who are today's future Legends that will be selling a million records twenty years from now?

91 3,778
 05-26-2019, 12:01 PM
User Info
(05-26-2019, 08:23 AM)Nero Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 01:52 AM)primotenore Wrote:
Tell me your favorite genres and I will happily respond, Matt.
Let's start with rock.
Naturally, you would pick the genre that is the farthest from my radar.  Wink  Regarding TODAY'S secret rock stars, I have no idea. 
Honestly, I am a musical dinosaur. 
I listen to to opera singers, mostly before 1970. 
I listen to folk music from the 60's, Dylan, PP&M, Kingston Trio, Limeliters, The Seekers
Irish singers from the early part of the 20th c. such as John McCormack
40's Music with The Ink Spots, Andrew Sisters, Mills Brothers 
Cowboy music: Sons of the Pioneers

Chanson singers like Edith Piaf, German specialty groups like The Comedian Harmonists,
Country like Johnny Cash, Bluegrass like Flatt & Scruggs
Blues like Freddie King
I love Edie Gorme Y Los Panchos

I misunderstood your request, Matt, sorry. I thought you were looking for great singers, in general, not 21st C great rocks groups flying under today's radar.

However, I stand by MY previous post, in which I stated that great SINGING, specifically in the field of opera, is almost non-existent these days. I won't re-hash the entire post.

71 5,494
 05-26-2019, 01:27 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(05-26-2019, 11:05 AM)Hanzo Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 08:36 AM)Nero Wrote: People hide behind the "everyone has to find what music they like" usually because they don't have a clue what constitutes good music (melody, originality, technical quality, songwriting ability, nuance, dynamics, variation, etc... Do these terms even ring a bell?)

Members are music listeners not musicologists we really don't need to be experts to enjoy music we like, that's not our burden. If we knew who were the next Sound Garden, Beatles or Elvis we would be working for Sony or Universal or Clear Channel  telling you and others what you should be listening to, aren't you the enemy of that?

If we turn musical enjoyment into definite monolithic answers, technique , mastery, authority its self defeating because music is anarchic in nature and with the impact of the internet , we see  even its creation and dissemination as just as anarchic, leaderless. You are looking for direction and there is no real direction , the present total sum of an understanding of what's good in the global landscape of music is so vast , no one can understand it all. Can anyone one person tell you the best rap albums today, the best Brazilian rock, the truest funk band, the world music that doesn't suck, the jazz that isn't boring? Even if Primo programs a the definitive Opera playlist for you will it be the music that changes your life, no.

If we are sitting in a Moroccan cafe and the Dj starts the chaibi, the moroccan dance music the people in the cafe are not going to discourse on melody, originality , dynamics they are going to get up and dance and enjoy the music , that's the point of it , happiness, satisfaction , inspiration, exuberance only you'd be sitting there miserable wishing it was impossibly  something else you'd tired of in the past.

You don't necessarily need to know the definitions of those terms (nor know that they even exist) to be able to hear good music from bad.  I'll just leave it at that.

91 3,778
 05-26-2019, 01:48 PM
User Info
Memorial day weekend in Philly 102.9 FM has a top 500 voted by listeners.
Those who voted have much different likes than previous generations.
Personally I cannot imagine Elton John's Levon at #450 but this is a new world order.
I'm officially old. But I like my shaving soaps and music regardless of surveys/peers.

62 1,519
 05-26-2019, 06:11 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I don't turn on the radio to listen to music. at one time i did. I don't watch TV to see fine acting. at one time I could. In the car its sports talk, or a cd or my iphone. thank god for blue tooth speakers. 

I don't really care. 

poor radio does limit my discovery of styles and genres that I was unaware of prior to hearing the music on the radio in the past. I do ballroom dancing so I get musical discovery and stimulation on the dance floor.

once music was taken out of the educational system that was the end of good music for the masses. the cost to see opera or the ballet or go to the iridium is beyond the reach of the average family budget.  without music appreciation class where would a child hear "great music"? 

Rap music came about because city schools dropped music and since human beings have a need to make music, voices produced sounds more appropriate to an electric guitar (easier than learning how to sing or play guitar) and drum machines (faster than actually learning how to play percussion) pounded out a beat that expressed what needed to be expressed for a generation that had to start from scratch to express themselves musically due to losing training in music and art (graffiti) due to budget cuts that saved no money.

0 336
 05-27-2019, 04:09 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(05-26-2019, 06:11 PM)RyznRio Wrote: I don't turn on the radio to listen to music. at one time i did. I don't watch TV to see fine acting. at one time I could. In the car its sports talk, or a cd or my iphone. thank god for blue tooth speakers. 

I don't really care. 

poor radio does limit my discovery of styles and genres that I was unaware of prior to hearing the music on the radio in the past. I do ballroom dancing so I get musical discovery and stimulation on the dance floor.

once music was taken out of the educational system that was the end of good music for the masses. the cost to see opera or the ballet or go to the iridium is beyond the reach of the average family budget.  without music appreciation class where would a child hear "great music"? 

Rap music came about because city schools dropped music and since human beings have a need to make music, voices produced sounds more appropriate to an electric guitar (easier than learning how to sing or play guitar) and drum machines (faster than actually learning how to play percussion) pounded out a beat that expressed what needed to be expressed for a generation that had to start from scratch to express themselves musically due to losing training in music and art (graffiti) due to budget cuts that saved no money.

Yes, (current) rap is (especially) terrible. But it's DEFINITELY not the only genre that needs duct tape on its mouth.

I blame a lot of the lack of musicianship today on video games. For 20+ years, kids have been playing video games instead of learning an instrument. Becoming an expert (and influencer) takes a LOT of practice... and there are only so many hours in the week.

But you are right, if no one can see high quality music, then how would they even know...

My rant really is aimed much at the industry too (record companies and media companies)...but people still do make their individual choices. Turning off the radio and not paying to download new crap music would hurt their pockets, and would influence change eventually. I'm not gonna hold my breath though. People today would rather watch America's Got Talent than something on the Smithsonian channel.

91 3,778
 05-27-2019, 06:14 PM
User Info
(05-26-2019, 08:46 AM)Nero Wrote: Who are today's future Legends that will be selling a million records twenty years from now?

This statement implies that in order for a band to be legendary they have to sell millions of records.  That also connects legendary to popular.  I am not one who buys into the concept that just because a band is popular that they are either legendary, notable or even any good.  I judge music based upon how it moves me.  Either with technical proficiency, incredible writing, or tugs at one of my many emotions.  I cannot and will not provide the formula because there isn't one.  For me at least.  Most of what I love and consider legendary would never qualify to even enter a popularity contest.  Examples of what I think are legendary or Return to Forever, Weather Report, Miles Davis (he sold a lot of records), Zappa, Hendrix, Zeppelin.  There are others but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment.  As far as a direct answer to your question above, I cannot name one.

2 337
 05-27-2019, 07:48 PM
User Info
I freaking love Weather Report! My favourite of what I've heard are Weather Report and Heavy Report. Another band that never got in the main stream in the 70's that I enjoyed quite a lot is Gentle Giant!

0 222
 05-28-2019, 02:15 AM
User Info
I care. And I have many radios for listening. What I listen to is the Spiritual stations.

1 515
 05-28-2019, 09:26 AM
User Info
(05-27-2019, 07:48 PM)ImJustMe Wrote: I freaking love Weather Report! My favourite of what I've heard are Weather Report and Heavy Report. Another band that never got in the main stream in the 70's that I enjoyed quite a lot is Gentle Giant!

If you like Gentle Giant, I'm guessing you are also a Genesis fan.  I never really got into Gentle Giant but a lot of my friends who are Genesis fans were also into Gentle Giant.  I am a huge Genesis fan though.

2 337
 05-28-2019, 10:17 AM
User Info
(05-27-2019, 07:48 PM)ImJustMe Wrote: I freaking love Weather Report! My favourite of what I've heard are Weather Report and Heavy Report. Another band that never got in the main stream in the 70's that I enjoyed quite a lot is Gentle Giant!

If you like Heavy Weather and Weather Report, I have two more for you to check out.  Black Market is an amazing album.  And 8:30 is equally amazing for different reasons.  Check them both out.

2 337
 05-29-2019, 04:59 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(05-27-2019, 06:14 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 08:46 AM)Nero Wrote: Who are today's future Legends that will be selling a million records twenty years from now?

This statement implies that in order for a band to be legendary they have to sell millions of records.  That also connects legendary to popular.  I am not one who buys into the concept that just because a band is popular that they are either legendary, notable or even any good.  I judge music based upon how it moves me.  Either with technical proficiency, incredible writing, or tugs at one of my many emotions.  I cannot and will not provide the formula because there isn't one.  For me at least.  Most of what I love and consider legendary would never qualify to even enter a popularity contest.  Examples of what I think are legendary or Return to Forever, Weather Report, Miles Davis (he sold a lot of records), Zappa, Hendrix, Zeppelin.  There are others but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment.  As far as a direct answer to your question above, I cannot name one.
I was actually connecting quality of music to standing the test of time. It should. That's what legends do.
I agree that not everyone who's actually that talented gets to be a legend. (Rare though to be honest, IMO.)
I suppose I was asking who today is worthy of being a legend tomorrow.

91 3,778
 05-29-2019, 05:17 PM
User Info
Well I'm not listening to current rock too much but I am listening to old rock and am on an Annie Wilson kick.  Wow!  To be able to sing like her!  Heart was not my jam back then and I really could do without most of their late 80s stuff but when she sings!

I'm also listening to a ton of Chris Stapleton right now.  As with most great talents, his most popular tunes are not his best but even the less than stellar ones are awesome.  He scratches the singer/songwriter itch in the vein of James Taylor. He understands that less is more and his,lyrics are awesome.  Billed as country I fit him more into blues.

6 444
 05-29-2019, 06:29 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(05-29-2019, 05:17 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Well I'm not listening to current rock too much but I am listening to old rock

Gooooood.... Do go on....

(05-29-2019, 05:17 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: on an Annie Wilson kick.  Wow!  To be able to sing like her!  Heart was not my jam back then and I really could do without most of their late 80s stuff but when she sings!

Yeeepppppp...
Those chicks rock... I too recently started digging them more.
Her voice is so powerful and believable...
Not to mention the guitars are great. Powerful and "cultured"/experienced/believable (shoot, I said it again).
Crazy On You is one of my faves... such a great rocker.

... As for Chris Stapleton... the name rings a bell, but I don't think I have heard any songs by him. Your words make me want to go give him a listen.

91 3,778
 05-30-2019, 06:36 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The stuff I listen too does not get radio play but, there is definitely good music out there if you search for it. Todd Snider, Rorey Carroll, Sean Camp, and Son Volt fall under the Alt Country umbrella but, they aren’t what I would consider country. Great artists.

52 20,964
 07-15-2019, 08:03 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Not that dance/pop is my thing, but:
Who is the next Whitney Houston?
Anyone have a voice 1/100 as good as hers?

(Say Adele and I block you forever. Another overrated millennial superstar.)

91 3,778
 07-15-2019, 11:42 PM
User Info
(07-15-2019, 08:03 PM)Nero Wrote: Not that dance/pop is my thing, but:
Who is the next Whitney Houston?
Anyone have a voice 1/100 as good as hers?

(Say Adele and I block you forever. Another overrated millennial superstar.)

I’m into soul and R&B, and in my late 40’s, and I was a teenager, when Whitney was starting out with her world hits.

I don’t hear anyone with a voice like Whitney, but today soul and R&B is more about producing and less about the voice.
With that said people my age often bash the quality of R&B being released these days, but I honestly disagree with them.

There are some great musicians and producers releasing music these days.

You just don’t hear this big voice like Whitney and Maria Carey out there.

But I look at it like this:

I can still listen to all the great voices of the past, while I listen to all the new great producers of the present.

I love Frank Sinatra, Vic Damone and Tony Bennet. Do I see new crooners out there today with the same talent and voice ? NO ! Not even close.

But then I just listen to the past.

Listened to remastered Vic Damone for 2 hours yesterday. This guy had some serious talent, that many overlooked because all focus were on Sinatra and Bennet.

25 6,636