07-16-2019, 08:22 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(05-24-2019, 04:29 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I’d imagine those with memories of the 50’s and 60’s would say the same about the 90’s..

That’s me. I still listen to Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Gerry Lee Lewis, Jan & Dean, The Beach Boys and the Stones, of course, just to name a few.

9 1,149
 07-16-2019, 02:08 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
As has been stated, the issue is not a shortage of great music—I would venture there’s more great music being made today than ever before, due largely to access to recording technology globally. The problem is that trustworthy curators are increasingly difficult to find. Going to Spotify is like entering the Library of Congress to look for a good book without a card catalog (showing my age). The “curators” at Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, etc. are algorithms. In the old days, radio DJs were the ones we trusted to lead us on our music discovery adventures. That was before the consolidation of the commercial radio industry, when DJs and programming directors determined playlists. Now the commercial playlists are determined by, once again, algorithms.

I submit trustworthy curators are still out there. The ones I know of are the programming folks, music directors and DJs at public radio music stations—WFUV, WFMU, WXPN, KUTX, KCRW, the Colorado Sound, Open Air, KEXP, etc. (Full disclosure, I work at KEXP.)

At KEXP, every DJ determines what music he or she will play. Different DJs play different kinds of music, and develop different personas. Some DJs have specialty shows (e.g., reggae, world music, “road house” music, hip hop, blues, etc.), and some play a variety of eclectic/indie/alternative music. The focus is music discovery.

I’m one who has always been a music discoverer. I appreciate the classics (Canon in D, Nefertiti or the Beatles), but am always looking for something new. In fact, unless there’s a Beatles song out there that I haven’t heard a thousand times before, I wouldn’t mind never hearing the Beatles again...

For those who really want to dive into the current state of the music business, I heartily endorse the book “Rockanomics,” by economist Alan Krueger.

17 723
 07-17-2019, 04:39 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
it appears that the only way to hear new music chosen by a living being with a dash of musicality is to go to a live show. recorded music seems to be overly preened and processed by/for the algorithms in an attempt to gain traction. Where is today's Alan Freed to shake things up with some rock and roll.

0 453
 07-19-2019, 07:18 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(07-17-2019, 04:39 AM)RyznRio Wrote: recorded music seems to be overly preened and processed

This is what I'm talking about with today's music.

I was just on a walk around the block and the only thing I hear when cars drive by is their radios and it's a computerized (ROBOT) voice "singing".

I seriously can't think of anything more pathetic and soulless than that.

98 4,034
 07-19-2019, 07:28 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(07-15-2019, 11:42 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Do I see new crooners out there today with the same talent and voice ? NO ! Not even close.

Not sure I know what a crooner is but I get your point... Same as mine.

But I don't know which producers you are talking about.

I know in electronic dance music, I used to really like Tiesto, Armin van Buren, and Above and Beyond... But those very same people's new music isn't as good as it used to be.

If there is good music out there (and I trust there is, don't get me wrong)...
WT_ isn't it mainstream?
WT_ is mainstream music Soooo Bad today?
WT_ doesn't good new music make it onto the radio?

98 4,034
 07-20-2019, 12:39 AM
User Info
(07-19-2019, 07:28 PM)Nero Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 11:42 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Do I see new crooners out there today with the same talent and voice ? NO ! Not even close.

Not sure I know what a crooner is but I get your point... Same as mine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_crooners

25 6,847
 07-21-2019, 04:17 AM
User Info
(05-24-2019, 04:29 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I’d imagine those with memories of the 50’s and 60’s would say the same about the 90’s....

Yeah.  For me the good music ended with the passing era of the Beach Boys, Connie Francis, Brenda Lee, The Shirelles, etc.

22 864
 07-22-2019, 08:07 AM
User Info
basically listen to smooth jazz and very little else.  over 400 cds in the box of memories beach boys, santana to randy travis

84 1,510
 04-16-2020, 12:00 PM
User Info
I remember reading an interview with some guy who was a well known DJ on a major cities's top radio station for years. He had retired and was replying to the interviewer's question -- the same idea we are discussing here; has music deteriorated?
His reply got me thinking -- he said,"When I was playing music on the radio back in the 1950s, I figured that the content was about 15% good, and 85% mediocre to bad."
I believe that this still holds true, not only in music, but it seems to be the case in most human endeavors. If you are really good at anything, you are like a one-eyed man in the kingdom of the blind!

Just my 2¢

5 398
 04-16-2020, 05:43 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm old.  All of my music in on vinyl.  I thought the 8 track under the dash bought at Kmart was the greatest invention ever.

Let's start with the Ventures.  Great guitar playing.  I have every album they ever made.  Then I will turn to The Beach Boys.  Little Duce Coupe, Help Me Ronda, Little Surfer Girl, etc.  The list goes on.  I have every album they ever made.  Jazz, I love old jazz.  Brubeck etc.  I was raised with a crooner and I've always liked that type of music.  If I want to listen to music I enjoy, the last place I go is to the radio.  I have enough old vinyl to listen to for the rest of my life.

187 26,133
 04-16-2020, 06:01 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(04-16-2020, 05:43 PM)Johnny Wrote: If I want to listen to music I enjoy, the last place I go is to the radio.

Pretty much what I'm saying Smile
Stay well, Johnny.

98 4,034
 04-16-2020, 07:40 PM
User Info
The one thing that matters to me is the mastering of music, which for a lot of modern content is not well done (read: heavily processed).

36 2,104
 04-16-2020, 07:47 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(04-16-2020, 07:40 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: The one thing that matters to me is the mastering of music, which for a lot of modern content is not well done (read: heavily processed).
Exactly. Not sure how you feel about grunge music, but ever since that was not mainstream, all we've had on the radio is overproduced crap. No soul. Compressed. Artificial.
And with that, a lack of musicianship... No focus on instruments, creativity, or even songwriting.

98 4,034
 04-17-2020, 01:28 AM
User Info
I hear you brother, I can't stand 99,9998% of all the crap that's on modern radio today. Computer generated 150 second tracks that they have an autotuned voice "singing" to. And they play the same "songs" like 25 times a day.

That being said, I think it's quite harsh to say there has been nothing good coming anymore since 2000 or so. I'm 42 years old now, and have always been a "Rock-guy", being raised by a dad that was an avid fan of the Beatles and Stones back in the 60s. I surely go back to stuff from the early- to mid-90s often, as there have been milestones all over the genre: Metallica's black album, Alice in Chains "Dirt", Faith No More's "Angel Dust", Dream Theater's "Metropolis II"...the list could be continued endlessly.

Today still, there are amazing (new) bands, who create great stuff, and even play music in ways that was hard to imagine some 20 years ago, that -being a Prog guy- makes my jaw drop to the floor, like The Nova Collective, The Aristocrats, Steven Wilson, Haken, Between the Buried an Me, Vola, Thank you Scientist, Kingcrow, Leprous, Protest The Hero...these are just a few that I thought of in like 15 seconds.

I've only discovered Buckethead recently, and the man's creativity and talent is probably unmatched.

So, base line: "mainstream" radio, or whatever you call it, has devolved, but there are lots of pearls to be found across all genres, if you look away from the trodden paths a bit.

4 265
 04-17-2020, 05:56 PM
User Info
Buckethead is a talented guitarist and I would have never imagined hearing this name mentioned here.  Smile

92 21,331
 04-18-2020, 08:37 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-16-2020, 05:43 PM)Johnny Wrote: I'm old.  All of my music in on vinyl.  I thought the 8 track under the dash bought at Kmart was the greatest invention ever.

Let's start with the Ventures.  Great guitar playing.  I have every album they ever made.  Then I will turn to The Beach Boys.  Little Duce Coupe, Help Me Ronda, Little Surfer Girl, etc.  The list goes on.  I have every album they ever made.  Jazz, I love old jazz.  Brubeck etc.  I was raised with a crooner and I've always liked that type of music.  If I want to listen to music I enjoy, the last place I go is to the radio.  I have enough old vinyl to listen to for the rest of my life.

I had the great pleasure to see Dave Brubeck perform with his small combo at the Jones Beach theatre on Long Island, maybe some 20-30 years ago. It was a miserable, cold, drizzly, brisk evening. But man, Brubeck was having Soooo much fun!!! It was infectious (in a good way). The band was so smoking hot they warmed up the outdoor crowd of 10,000 like a charm! To this day that concert remains one of my top most memorable live shows.

16 4,241
 04-20-2020, 04:11 AM
User Info
(04-17-2020, 05:56 PM)celestino Wrote: Buckethead is a talented guitarist and I would have never imagined hearing this name mentioned here.  Smile

Thank you! We could go on and talk about talented guitarists and/or bands for hours Biggrin

4 265
 04-21-2020, 04:35 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I'll argue that music's demise started in 1982 with the release of CODA, the last studio album from Led Zeppelin.  When I heard all that synthesizer crap, I knew it was the beginning of the end.  Same with Van Halen's albums at that time. In fact, it's one of the reasons David Lee Roth left Van Halen.  He told Eddie "you're a guitar king for Chrissake- enough with the synthesizer!".  When the computers came in....the music slowly died.

Of course there are exceptions and there are certainly some talented musicians today but I'm talking about music as an industry.

My kids' eyes nearly popped out of their head when I explained that musicians used to actually play instruments to make music.

I listen to a lot of blues & motown (an extension of the blues).  BB King, Albert King, Freddie King, etc - and rock & roll blues - Clapton, SRV, Hendrix.  Ever been to a SRV concert?  Child pleez.  Amazeballs.

Once your brain is tuned to that music, the new stuff is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

178 1,674
 04-21-2020, 07:11 AM
  • Nero
User Info
I'll mostly agree...but there were guitar/bass/drum wizards and great songwriting in the early 90s Seattle scene. All who were respected by the classic rock greats, and even share the stage with them on occasion.
Most of the 80s was a joke. A bad joke. But still some gems.
Nothing is as bad as the past 20 years of mainstream music though. Makes the 80s look like Beethoven and Chopin.

98 4,034
 04-21-2020, 01:01 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-21-2020, 07:11 AM)Nero Wrote: I'll mostly agree...but there were guitar/bass/drum wizards and great songwriting in the early 90s Seattle scene. All who were respected by the classic rock greats, and even share the stage with them on occasion.
Most of the 80s was a joke. A bad joke. But still some gems.
Nothing is as bad as the past 20 years of mainstream music though. Makes the 80s look like Beethoven and Chopin.

Talk about Roll Over, Beethoven!

16 4,241