05-24-2019, 12:15 PM
  • Nero
User Info
What is going on with MUSIC !
It's terrible...
It's BEEN terrible since the mid-90s.

Since Backstreet Boys, Matchbox 20, Spice Girls, Cash Money Millionaires, Nickelback, Limp Bizkit, Juvenile, Kid Rock, Linkin Park... holy moly, what complete garbage!

AND IT SOMEHOW GETS WORSE EVERY SINGLE DAY

Why don't you care?
Why do you just listen to whatever's on?

Why listen to new CRAP, when we have legendary icons from yesteryear?  
Seriously, you would rather have Lil' Wayne on than Led Zeppelin??  ... You need your head checked, and fast.

Name one good band since 2000...
Good means (AT THE BARE MINIMUM) they play instruments, write intelligent/original lyrics ("like" shouldn't be every third word), have good voices and don't need computers to "correct" themselves.

It's seriously pathetic. I can't go into a grocery store without wanting to rip the speakers out of the wall.

Embarrassed for my generation and the next ones.

91 3,778
 05-24-2019, 02:23 PM
User Info
(05-24-2019, 12:15 PM)Nero Wrote: What is going on with MUSIC !
It's terrible...
It's BEEN terrible since the mid-90s.

Since Backstreet Boys, Matchbox 20, Spice Girls, Cash Money Millionaires, Nickelback...

AND IT SOMEHOW GETS WORSE EVERY SINGLE DAY

Why don't you care?
Why do you just listen to whatever's on?

Why listen to new CRAP, when we have legendary icons from yesteryear?

Name one good band since then...
Good means (AT THE BARE MINIMUM) they play instruments, write intelligent/original lyrics ("like" shouldn't be every third word), have good voices and don't need computers to "correct" themselves.

It's seriously pathetic. I can't go into a restaurant without wanting to rip the speakers out of the wall.

Embarrassed for my generation and the next ones.

I feel your pain.  No.  Scratch that.  I LIVE your pain.  I refuse to listen to music on the radio.  If I'm in my car which is the only place I listen to radio it's either my iPod Video v5.5 or it's NPR/WNYC.  I agree that most of the music these days is shyte.  Well, at least the stuff on the radio.  Fortunately I've been getting out and seeing some good music lately.  Whether it's seeing Dweezil do his father's music or catching shows at the Iridium, The Blue Note (I hate that place) the Jazz Standard and other places, I've been taking my son to see the classics.  Took him to see Dweezil, Brand X (Kenwood was on drums), Narada Michael Walden, Lenny Pickett, Chicago, Mike Stern, Felix Pastorius (Jaco is my son's hero), George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic.  And we have tickets to see Herbie Hancock with Vinnie Colaiuta on drums.  The biggest difference I see between now and then is that it's harder to find good stuff live.  There seem to be fewer clubs.  Yes.  Most music sucks and many don't seem to care or don't know the difference.  Listen to what you like and don't worry about everyone else.  Because if you do, it will make you crazy.

2 342
 05-24-2019, 02:29 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(05-24-2019, 02:23 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: Yes.  Most music sucks and many don't seem to care or don't know the difference.  Listen to what you like and don't worry about everyone else.  Because if you do, it will make you crazy.

As you can see, it DOES drive me crazy.  I think about it all the time.  
I can't block out today's TERRIBLE music.  
It shouldn't even be called music because NONE OF IT IS MUSICAL... there's no melody.  It's not catchy or anything.  Nothing at all to latch on to.  It's all cheap and won't last a week.

91 3,778
 05-24-2019, 04:19 PM
User Info
(05-24-2019, 02:29 PM)Nero Wrote: As you can see, it DOES drive me crazy.  I think about it all the time.

... Even when you shave? Loll

0 223
 05-24-2019, 04:20 PM
User Info
I care.

72 5,500
 05-24-2019, 04:29 PM
User Info
I’d imagine those with memories of the 50’s and 60’s would say the same about the 90’s....

210 1,241
 05-24-2019, 04:36 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
When I was a young lad and put Elvis' new 45 on the record player, "Blue Moon," I think my father felt the same way. It's a generation thing. 

Since I've always primarily listened to jazz and classical, I could care less about the music you're referring to. Today's jazz and classical artists are putting out some great music.

38 6,023
 05-24-2019, 04:58 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(05-24-2019, 04:29 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I’d imagine those with memories of the 50’s and 60’s would say the same about the 90’s....

(05-24-2019, 04:36 PM)evnpar Wrote: When I was a young lad and put Elvis' new 45 on the record player, "Blue Moon," I think my father felt the same way. It's a generation thing. 

Since I've always primarily listened to jazz and classical, I could care less about the music you're referring to. Today's jazz and classical artists are putting out some great music.

+2  Mom thought the music died when Glen Miller's plane went down in 1944, not at Clear Lake Iowa .. nor on the sidewalk outside the Dakota in 1980.  For me, the appearance of deesco in the mid 70's was the very ugly end of good pop music.

But, I'm just joe average, like many, the favorite cars and bands date to the days of our coming of age, and everything else is downhill from there ..

64 644
 05-24-2019, 05:24 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
For the most part, I lost interest in and stopped listening to pop radio in the early 80s. I never took to hair, grunge, industrial, you name it, Rocko-poppo music that came after the first of the New Wave artists, who were still quite original and worthy of carrying on the classic rock mantle, as it were. I played in bar bands through the early 90s, but never turned on the pop stations. Instead I listened almost exclusively to classical and college radio which was and remains way groovier. “Classic” rock radio was and is a joke. They just play the same top 40 hits from 45 years ago. Some people like that. It provides sense of reassuring familiarity. They love listening to the same 150 pop songs over and over. This is why there’s chocolate and vanilla. I like coffee.

15 3,653
 05-24-2019, 06:04 PM
User Info
(05-24-2019, 05:24 PM)chazt Wrote: For the most part, I lost interest in and stopped listening to pop radio in the early 80s. I never took to hair, grunge, industrial, you name it, Rocko-poppo music that came after the first of the New Wave artists, who were still quite original and worthy of carrying on the classic rock mantle, as it were. I played in bar bands through the early 90s, but never turned on the pop stations. Instead I listened almost exclusively to classical and college radio which was and remains way groovier. “Classic” rock radio was and is a joke. They just play the same top 40 hits from 45 years ago. Some people like that. It provides sense of reassuring familiarity. They love listening to the same 150 pop songs over and over. This is why there’s chocolate and vanilla. I like coffee.

I agree about the college radio.  I find myself listening to WFUV (Fordham University) a fair amount.  I also find myself tuning into WFMU, an independent station in East Orange.  My wife loves 104.3.  What is that?  K Rock?  Something like that.  She listens to it ALL the FREAKING TIME.  Drives me insane.  Same songs over and over and over.  And inane DJs.

2 342
 05-24-2019, 06:18 PM
User Info
I resent the demise of the drummer.  Drum tracks suck

6 444
 05-24-2019, 06:28 PM
User Info
The solution is to not listen to the radio lol

There is NO shortage of new music coming out every day. Most of it will never make it to radio airplay, but that's OK. There are plenty of other ways to find it. Any music streaming service (Spotify, AppleMusic, Tida, even YouTube) will have your favorites. When you listen to those, they will provide recommendations. Go through those and you're bound to find something you like.

12 626
 05-24-2019, 06:35 PM
User Info
(05-24-2019, 06:18 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: I resent the demise of the drummer.  Drum tracks suck

As a drummer myself, I agree 100000%

2 342
 05-24-2019, 07:10 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
Clear Channel - also known as 'IHeartMedia' is largely responsible for the current state of FM radio in the US. 
That, and folks who decided to allow corporations to buy up as much media as they wanted, who then programmed the subset of music we now get.  

The Auto-Tune does not help.  

With that out of the way - RadioParadise is probably the closest I've found to what good FM radio used to be like.

15 174
 05-24-2019, 07:31 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(05-24-2019, 04:29 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I’d imagine those with memories of the 50’s and 60’s would say the same about the 90’s....
That's fine... Old people can be wrong too (joke)

I would agree with them about the second half of the 90s but if you like guitar/drums you must at least appreciate grunge and the "alternative" of the early 90s.

1994 was the last powerhouse year of rock music.

After that, everything cheaped out. People starting talking about "the beat" instead of the riff or the solo. Rock died.

91 3,778
 05-24-2019, 07:44 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(05-24-2019, 06:28 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: The solution is to not listen to the radio lol

When I say that I haven't listened to the radio since before the turn of the millennium, I'm not kidding one bit.
I hear this new noise ("music") when I'm out of the house/car and not in control of what we're listening to.

91 3,778
 05-25-2019, 06:40 AM
User Info
(05-24-2019, 06:04 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(05-24-2019, 05:24 PM)chazt Wrote: For the most part, I lost interest in and stopped listening to pop radio in the early 80s. I never took to hair, grunge, industrial, you name it, Rocko-poppo music that came after the first of the New Wave artists, who were still quite original and worthy of carrying on the classic rock mantle, as it were. I played in bar bands through the early 90s, but never turned on the pop stations. Instead I listened almost exclusively to classical and college radio which was and remains way groovier. “Classic” rock radio was and is a joke. They just play the same top 40 hits from 45 years ago. Some people like that. It provides sense of reassuring familiarity. They love listening to the same 150 pop songs over and over. This is why there’s chocolate and vanilla. I like coffee.

I agree about the college radio.  I find myself listening to WFUV (Fordham University) a fair amount.  I also find myself tuning into WFMU, an independent station in East Orange.  My wife loves 104.3.  What is that?  K Rock?  Something like that.  She listens to it ALL the FREAKING TIME.  Drives me insane.  Same songs over and over and over.  And inane DJs.

+1 College radio
Rowan Radio in Glassboro, NJ 89.7 FM

62 1,522
 05-25-2019, 07:52 AM
  • Nero
User Info
What's funny about all this is that when we are alluding to "good music", everyone assumed we are talking about Rock in its many forms.
... That's how good that genre was for decades.

91 3,778
 05-25-2019, 09:48 AM
User Info
(05-25-2019, 07:52 AM)Nero Wrote: What's funny about all this is that when we are alluding to "good music", everyone assumed we are talking about Rock in its many forms.
... That's how good that genre was for decades.
As a 30 year Opera Singer, I can tell you I wasn't referring to rock music. But I elaborate on my curt, first response.
Today's "popular" music is generic and cookie-cutter, with unintelligible lyrics (the lyrics you happen to understand are inane), the "singing" (and I use that term loosely) is nasal, strained, and wouldn't stand a chance of being heard from farther than 10' away, without the help of their studio engineers.
Don't even get me started about opera...
Today's opera singers are mostly pathetic. The women have no developed chest voices. Both men and women sing in the nose and have voices the size of mosquitos.
The days of Corelli, Callas, del Monaco, Obraztsova, Tebaldi, Bjorling, Ruffo, etc. are LONG GONE.
Here is an example of magnificent singing:

72 5,500
 05-25-2019, 10:08 AM
  • Nero
User Info
Thank you, Primo.

I ABSOLUTELY understand that there is much more variety of GREAT music than just Rock.

I LOVE classical, blues, country, and anything else that takes exceptional talent and sounds good to a trained ear.

Back when I was a teenager, MTV had this thing called Save the Music campaign (I believe it was to keep music classes in schools, if memory serves me right).  How ironic, since they're THE ENTITY that KILLED music.

Now, we need a Resurrect the Music campaign.

91 3,778