04-22-2020, 09:21 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(04-21-2020, 01:01 PM)chazt Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 07:11 AM)Nero Wrote: I'll mostly agree...but there were guitar/bass/drum wizards and great songwriting in the early 90s Seattle scene. All who were respected by the classic rock greats, and even share the stage with them on occasion.
Most of the 80s was a joke. A bad joke. But still some gems.
Nothing is as bad as the past 20 years of mainstream music though. Makes the 80s look like Beethoven and Chopin.

Talk about Roll Over, Beethoven!
Mozart is rolling around in his (mass) grave
Sad
Ugh

98 4,032
 06-16-2020, 07:45 PM
User Info
(05-24-2019, 04:29 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I’d imagine those with memories of the 50’s and 60’s would say the same about the 90’s....

was there and realize it was mostly crap. not all though.  90's country and smooth jazz here

83 1,507
 06-16-2020, 07:48 PM
User Info
(04-21-2020, 04:35 AM)Steelman Wrote: I'll argue that music's demise started in 1982 with the release of CODA, the last studio album from Led Zeppelin.  When I heard all that synthesizer crap, I knew it was the beginning of the end.  Same with Van Halen's albums at that time. In fact, it's one of the reasons David Lee Roth left Van Halen.  He told Eddie "you're a guitar king for Chrissake- enough with the synthesizer!".  When the computers came in....the music slowly died.

Of course there are exceptions and there are certainly some talented musicians today but I'm talking about music as an industry.

My kids' eyes nearly popped out of their head when I explained that musicians used to actually play instruments to make music.

I listen to a lot of blues & motown (an extension of the blues).  BB King, Albert King, Freddie King, etc - and rock & roll blues - Clapton, SRV, Hendrix.  Ever been to a SRV concert?  Child pleez.  Amazeballs.

Once your brain is tuned to that music, the new stuff is like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Ron, I use anything free for music.  Allison Krauss with Vince Gill is magic to me.  Faith Hill on a u tube video with Carlos Santana omg.  as a oldie like me Martina Mc Bride singing independence day doe it.  best to you

83 1,507
 06-16-2020, 07:51 PM
User Info
(04-16-2020, 05:43 PM)Johnny Wrote: I'm old.  All of my music in on vinyl.  I thought the 8 track under the dash bought at Kmart was the greatest invention ever.

Let's start with the Ventures.  Great guitar playing.  I have every album they ever made.  Then I will turn to The Beach Boys.  Little Duce Coupe, Help Me Ronda, Little Surfer Girl, etc.  The list goes on.  I have every album they ever made.  Jazz, I love old jazz.  Brubeck etc.  I was raised with a crooner and I've always liked that type of music.  If I want to listen to music I enjoy, the last place I go is to the radio.  I have enough old vinyl to listen to for the rest of my life.
Johnny, my wife and I spent 2 hours listening to John Gary last night. remember him?  my vinyl is lost in my old warehouse

83 1,507
 06-18-2020, 08:20 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-16-2020, 07:51 PM)daveinsweethome Wrote:
(04-16-2020, 05:43 PM)Johnny Wrote: I'm old.  All of my music in on vinyl.  I thought the 8 track under the dash bought at Kmart was the greatest invention ever.

Let's start with the Ventures.  Great guitar playing.  I have every album they ever made.  Then I will turn to The Beach Boys.  Little Duce Coupe, Help Me Ronda, Little Surfer Girl, etc.  The list goes on.  I have every album they ever made.  Jazz, I love old jazz.  Brubeck etc.  I was raised with a crooner and I've always liked that type of music.  If I want to listen to music I enjoy, the last place I go is to the radio.  I have enough old vinyl to listen to for the rest of my life.
Johnny, my wife and I spent 2 hours listening to John Gary last night. remember him?  my vinyl is lost in my old warehouse

Indeed, I do remember John Gary.  I have a 78 rpm collection that belonged to my dad with some great music from back in the 20's, 30's, and 40's.

187 26,130