09-17-2012, 02:16 PM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
Well I'm totally converted and so wish I'd discovered DE shaving years ago!
My first few attempts were embarrassingly bad, it was a total blood bath, I now know what other newbies on here were talking about. I've been shaving for ~20 years, mainly with cartridge razors, with varying results, but none particularly great! Lots of razor burn, ingrown hairs and spots. 5 years ago I decided to try electric shaving as my dad had always done this, so I thought it must be worth a try. I spent £300 over the 5 years on 2 shavers, what a total waste of money and time!!! It was never a quick shave, taking 30-45 mins. Needless to say my skin was red raw after that amount of time shaving a dry face!! Plus I'd still get ingrown hairs and spots. So just after my second child was born ~11 weeks ago, I decided I'd go back to wet shaving to give me more time in bed in the mornings! I bought the latest and greatest Gillette cartridge razor, the Fusion Proglide (manual) and the matching can of goo! It had to be good, the TV told me so! Well, I must say, it was the best shave I had ever had, and the quickest! As it was so good, I decided to look online about shaving technique and it lead me to this forum, where I began to read about DE razors and then looked at the cost of the Proglide cartridges v blades and was astonished! I have always liked the look and weight of a DE razor, even though I never actually knew what it really was! I have read soooo many articles and watched loads of videos on You Tube, I've also chosen my tools, however I thought that rather than make the same mistake again with spending lots of money, I bought the £3.49 DE razor from Boots (it also comes with 5 blades). I did however spend a bit more on cream and got the Kiss My Face Bamboo & Tea Tree one, as I thought I could always use that with the Proglide if it didn't work out. My first few attempts were awful, so bad that I was considering giving up, but so wanted it to work and so wanted a Muhle R89, so did more research, (if that was possible) and discovered that in all the reading I had done, I'd managed to miss/fully take on board the really important basic bits, like applying NO pressure!! And although I had read and watched a lot about blade angle, I thought it meant razor angle/handle angle. Once I realised what everyone meant and then studied the razor head and blade protruding from it, it kind of all made sense! Get the blade at the right angle, so it skims over the skin, not angled into it, and the REALLY sharp razor will have no problem cutting some measly little hairs!
I then went out and bought a cheap synthetic brush (let's see if I can make it all work before spending money on nice kit), I found a perfect sized plastic bowl in with my wife's nail stuff and 'borrowed' that! BTW, she is getting really fed up with all my talk about my new found obsession!! So I decided to just take the bowl and ask questions later!
On the 4th or 5th attempt I got a bowl of really hot water (not boiling) dropped in a flannel, then put it on my face before whipping up a nice lather and applying it to my face. Wow, how good did that all feel, I thought everyone was exaggerating! I held the razor at the very end, forcing me not to apply too much pressure and concentrated on the blade angle, I then realised that although I could hear the satisfying sound of hairs being cut, the razor wasn't pulling on them or rubbing my skin so that it hurt or was uncomfortable. I then also realised that it takes a fair bit of concentration, but when you get it right, it's almost like meditating and you lose yourself in it. Even though it was only my 4th or 5th attempt, I only came away with 3 small nicks that stopped bleeding with a splash of cold water.
The result was the closest shave ever, soft skin and absolutely no pain whatsoever!!!
I'd say that DE shaving is good for the mind, body and soul. A cliche I know, but certainly that night at least that's how it felt!
I've now got a Proglide razor, 2 packs of cartridges and a can of goo that's never going to be used!! So more money down the drain! Lol. I'm definitely not going back to a cartridge razor, that's for sure!
For once my wife now had a list of presents to buy me for my birthday! I feel like a kid again!
Anyway, I'm now ~6 weeks into DE shaving and am still loving it. I didn't realise there was so much to it, or that the hairs on my face went in so many directions! It's still taking me 30+ mins to shave, but it's so much more enjoyable, satisfying and less painful now!

0 26
 09-17-2012, 02:44 PM
User Info
Excellent story! Welcome to the Shave Nook and to traditional wet-shaving.

75 20,883
 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Welcome to the Nook!

45 16,278
 09-17-2012, 02:50 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook. Glad you found DE shaving and us.

100 12,436
 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Welcome!

35 2,703
 09-17-2012, 03:03 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Welcome to the wonderful world of wet shaving and to The Shave Nook. Now, open up a PayPal account your wife does not have access to. You are going to need it.Smile

173 23,484
 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have a similar story. You'll find the Nook a great resource. Welcome Smile

16 542
 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM
User Info
Hello and welcome! Cool

2 5,527
 09-17-2012, 04:16 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Welcome!

86 7,123
 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook and enjoy your stay. Smile That was a great story and, believe me, many of us have had that same "Ah hah!" moment. There is always much to learn and much advice to offer and TSN is just a great place to do that. I, for one, will look forward to your continuing adventures and discoveries in the wonderful world of wet shaving.

By the way, a big congratulations to your wife and you on the birth of your second child. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 09-17-2012, 05:45 PM
User Info
Hello and welcome to the forum. Excellent story.

183 12,002
 09-17-2012, 06:49 PM
User Info
Welcome!

5 938
 09-17-2012, 08:20 PM
User Info
It's great to have you in the Nook.

Now just take your time and enjoy those shaves!

31 7,912
 09-17-2012, 11:34 PM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
Welcome to the forum! Great story andI know the feeling.

0 284
 09-17-2012, 11:49 PM
User Info
Glad you are here, Mr. Happy. Thanks for sharing your story.

47 1,270
 09-18-2012, 05:24 AM
User Info
(09-17-2012, 02:16 PM)Mr Happy Wrote: Well I'm totally converted and so wish I'd discovered DE shaving years ago!
My first few attempts were embarrassingly bad, it was a total blood bath, I now know what other newbies on here were talking about. I've been shaving for ~20 years, mainly with cartridge razors, with varying results, but none particularly great! Lots of razor burn, ingrown hairs and spots. 5 years ago I decided to try electric shaving as my dad had always done this, so I thought it must be worth a try. I spent £300 over the 5 years on 2 shavers, what a total waste of money and time!!! It was never a quick shave, taking 30-45 mins. Needless to say my skin was red raw after that amount of time shaving a dry face!! Plus I'd still get ingrown hairs and spots. So just after my second child was born ~11 weeks ago, I decided I'd go back to wet shaving to give me more time in bed in the mornings! I bought the latest and greatest Gillette cartridge razor, the Fusion Proglide (manual) and the matching can of goo! It had to be good, the TV told me so! Well, I must say, it was the best shave I had ever had, and the quickest! As it was so good, I decided to look online about shaving technique and it lead me to this forum, where I began to read about DE razors and then looked at the cost of the Proglide cartridges v blades and was astonished! I have always liked the look and weight of a DE razor, even though I never actually knew what it really was! I have read soooo many articles and watched loads of videos on You Tube, I've also chosen my tools, however I thought that rather than make the same mistake again with spending lots of money, I bought the £3.49 DE razor from Boots (it also comes with 5 blades). I did however spend a bit more on cream and got the Kiss My Face Bamboo & Tea Tree one, as I thought I could always use that with the Proglide if it didn't work out. My first few attempts were awful, so bad that I was considering giving up, but so wanted it to work and so wanted a Muhle R89, so did more research, (if that was possible) and discovered that in all the reading I had done, I'd managed to miss/fully take on board the really important basic bits, like applying NO pressure!! And although I had read and watched a lot about blade angle, I thought it meant razor angle/handle angle. Once I realised what everyone meant and then studied the razor head and blade protruding from it, it kind of all made sense! Get the blade at the right angle, so it skims over the skin, not angled into it, and the REALLY sharp razor will have no problem cutting some measly little hairs!
I then went out and bought a cheap synthetic brush (let's see if I can make it all work before spending money on nice kit), I found a perfect sized plastic bowl in with my wife's nail stuff and 'borrowed' that! BTW, she is getting really fed up with all my talk about my new found obsession!! So I decided to just take the bowl and ask questions later!
On the 4th or 5th attempt I got a bowl of really hot water (not boiling) dropped in a flannel, then put it on my face before whipping up a nice lather and applying it to my face. Wow, how good did that all feel, I thought everyone was exaggerating! I held the razor at the very end, forcing me not to apply too much pressure and concentrated on the blade angle, I then realised that although I could hear the satisfying sound of hairs being cut, the razor wasn't pulling on them or rubbing my skin so that it hurt or was uncomfortable. I then also realised that it takes a fair bit of concentration, but when you get it right, it's almost like meditating and you lose yourself in it. Even though it was only my 4th or 5th attempt, I only came away with 3 small nicks that stopped bleeding with a splash of cold water.
The result was the closest shave ever, soft skin and absolutely no pain whatsoever!!!
I'd say that DE shaving is good for the mind, body and soul. A cliche I know, but certainly that night at least that's how it felt!
I've now got a Proglide razor, 2 packs of cartridges and a can of goo that's never going to be used!! So more money down the drain! Lol. I'm definitely not going back to a cartridge razor, that's for sure!
For once my wife now had a list of presents to buy me for my birthday! I feel like a kid again!
Anyway, I'm now ~6 weeks into DE shaving and am still loving it. I didn't realise there was so much to it, or that the hairs on my face went in so many directions! It's still taking me 30+ mins to shave, but it's so much more enjoyable, satisfying and less painful now!

You saw the light about 20 years before I did and I'm still trying to get my face to forgive me for 40 bad years of shaving. Congratulations! Something you hated has become fun, and with better results! Tongue

0 282
 09-18-2012, 05:57 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Welcome aboard and a big hello.

1 3,507
 09-18-2012, 06:06 AM
  • Mr Happy
  • Sandhurst, England
User Info
I was looking at my razor the other day and thought about the build up of soap scum that was on it and how that's probably not going to be helping my hairs to be directed onto the blade, plus the soap scum on the blade isn't going to be helping the longevity of the blade either. I have therefore added a new stage to my daily routine! It's simply to clean the razor and blade to remove all traces of soap scum. I did it for the first time today and the shave was definitely better.
I've also learnt in the past couple of weeks that water on the blade is important (imo). I've therefore been doing fewer strokes before rinsing, I can really feel the difference as I'm shaving, it just seems to glide over my face more easily doing this.

0 26
 09-18-2012, 11:50 AM
User Info
(09-17-2012, 02:16 PM)Mr Happy Wrote: Well I'm totally converted and so wish I'd discovered DE shaving years ago!

This is good news! Welcome! I see you're on your way in this new madness that has infected you.

Enjoy yourself! And ask questions! Watch videos! When a wet shave is done right it makes the ordinary into something special. Smile

0 554
 09-18-2012, 12:57 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Welcome Aboard the Nook!
Biggrin
[Image: attachment.php?aid=5985]

9 1,684