05-28-2019, 05:17 PM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Is it razor sharp? Works for me..
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
If you’ve seen the reviews on the SS version, it’s pretty much the same as that. Only difference is in the weight of the Copper over the Stainless. It still is nicely balanced and the extra heft I feel actually aided in the shave a bit. Still very smooth and efficient feeling throughout the whole shave. And of course the beauty of the whole thing is the dual open comb design. It just allows for that bit of lather to come along on every stroke as the razor and blade just glides effortlessly across ones face. Fit and finish is excellent and I think that this handle actually feels just a tad less grippier than the Stainless or Aluminum version. But, it still feels fine in the hands and it never felt like it was going to slip or fall out of my hands. 

If you have the Stainless or Aluminum I think there really is no need for the Copper version unless of course, you don’t happen to have a copper razor in your possession. If you missed out on either of the first two, the Copper Ascension would be a fine pick up. If, they become available again. 

[Image: uFGb2ln.jpg]

[Image: p9gF1Dm.jpg]

[Image: AfqGoGM.jpg]

[Image: BdsUFiL.jpg]

1 291
 05-28-2019, 06:54 PM
User Info
Very nice, have been debating one of those.

3 133
 05-29-2019, 10:30 AM
User Info
That is beautiful! I have never heard of nor seen this.

Thank-you fornthe post!

Vr

Matt

32 1,901
 05-29-2019, 03:14 PM
User Info
That is a beauty there. I just got on the notification list. If it is anything like my 2016 stainless DOC it is an awesome shaver ... if you like an aggressive razor ... If you like a Feather AS-D2 stay away from the DOC  Wink

9 277
 05-30-2019, 07:36 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Very nice. Is this based on a vintage razor? It looks really familiar.

52 21,086
 05-30-2019, 12:23 PM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
(05-30-2019, 07:36 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Very nice. Is this based on a vintage razor? It looks really familiar.

Very similar to the Self Lubricating Grande Shave King Razor from the 40’s. I think it was modeled after it....

1 291
 05-30-2019, 12:30 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-30-2019, 12:23 PM)SteelyEdge Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 07:36 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Very nice. Is this based on a vintage razor? It looks really familiar.

Very similar to the Self Lubricating Grande Shave King Razor from the 40’s. I think it was modeled after it....

Ah yes...I think you are right.

52 21,086
 05-30-2019, 06:30 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
These last 5 years we've seen an explosion of new razors entering the market place. During these years I've made statements that certain razors were game changers, and they were at that time. Now after owning and using most of the new razors I have added a few razors to my rotation, my mainstay razors are the Gillette Single Ring Ball End with a Stork handle, CG L3 DC,  British Streamline and now I've added the PAA SS and Copper Ascension (there is also a new razor that I'm dancing around with I'm giving it some time)

At this point, I'm going to make a bold statement here, the SS Ascension is as good a razor as it gets for smoothness and efficiency as for the blade I use a Polsilver. I have written about this razor a few months back and nothing has changed except I have higher praise for it.
My shaving routine is that I shave daily and like aggressive razors, I like blade feel and feedback that lets me know how my shave is going as I go through my shaving routine. So you can get all the info on what I like I use a shim with my Single Rings which already an aggressive razor 

In experimenting with this razor I switch out the handle for a Stork TI 14 x 95 for better balance on a light head (it still has weight) and I also use a shim (I know most people would not) with the SS Ascension and a 1/4  twist because I want to more blade feel and yet this razor even with a shim it still maintains its smooth and efficient characteristics. Also, this razor comes with a margin or error, so if you should lose your concentration, this razor doesn't bite unless you do something pretty dumb. To add to the beauty of this razor for me the feedback is spot on for a superb shave.  

Now if you don't change anything on this razor it is a pretty spectacular shaver like all razors you just have to find the right blade that works for you.

[Image: 1jLNdJf.jpg]

61 773
 05-30-2019, 06:49 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review. I did my own review of the Phoenix DOC 2016 version back in June of 2017 here . Nothing has changed my point of view since that time. If you like an aggressive razor you won't be disappointed with the 2016 stainless version. I plan on getting the copper version when it is available again.

9 277
 05-30-2019, 08:02 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(05-30-2019, 06:49 PM)JimmyH Wrote: Thanks for the review. I did my own review of the Phoenix DOC 2016 version back in June of 2017 here . Nothing has changed my point of view since that time. If you like an aggressive razor you won't be disappointed with the 2016 stainless version. I plan on getting the copper version when it is available again.

The Ascension is a totally different animal. The DOC is more like the Single Ring but the Single Ring is smoother. The Ascension has a totally different blade feel than the 2 razors above its very smooth.

61 773
 05-31-2019, 03:19 AM
User Info
(05-30-2019, 08:02 PM)bijou Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 06:49 PM)JimmyH Wrote: Thanks for the review. I did my own review of the Phoenix DOC 2016 version back in June of 2017 here . Nothing has changed my point of view since that time. If you like an aggressive razor you won't be disappointed with the 2016 stainless version. I plan on getting the copper version when it is available again.

The Ascension is a totally different animal. The DOC is more like the Single Ring but the Single Ring is smoother. The Ascension has a totally different blade feel than the 2 razors above its very smooth.

That is good to know. I like blade feel and an aggressive razor. For instance, the Wolfman Guerrilla is as efficient a razor as I've come across, but it doesn't feel aggressive. I like a razor that feels aggressive along with being efficient.

9 277
 05-31-2019, 08:37 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
JimmyH for $20-40 dollars on ebay you can pick up a Gillette Single Ring Ball End. All you need to look for is a pretty clean head with straight teeth if the handle has a long crack all the better cheaper price. The head is what is important you will put your own handle to the head. The head of this razor is the thinnest you'll ever find, you will be able to maneuver any place on your face with ease and the longer and heavy handle elevates the shave and efficiency. If you don't like it you can sell it and can get back at least halfback of what you paid for it. If you do like it you can send it out to be replated for $75-90 and have a new 100-year-old razor.

One thing the blade exposure is not the same on both sides, one side has slightly more blade exposure than the other which makes the head almost like a DC. this does not diminish the blade feel, but you will feel that one side is slightly milder than the other.

61 773
 05-31-2019, 09:20 AM
User Info
(05-31-2019, 08:37 AM)bijou Wrote: JimmyH for $20-40 dollars on ebay you can pick up a Gillette Single Ring Ball End. All you need to look for is a pretty clean head with straight teeth if the handle has a long crack all the better cheaper price. The head is what is important you will put your own handle to the head. The head of this razor is the thinnest you'll ever find, you will be able to maneuver any place on your face with ease and the longer and heavy handle elevates the shave and efficiency. If you don't like it you can sell it and can get back at least halfback of what you paid for it. If you do like it you can send it out to be replated for $75-90 and have a new 100-year-old razor.

One thing the blade exposure is not the same on both sides, one side has slightly more blade exposure than the other which makes the head almost like a DC. this does not diminish the blade feel, but you will feel that one side is slightly milder than the other.

Thanks once again for taking the time. I have been at this since '07 and had a large collection of Gillette 3 piece razors that I've shaved with. Techs, big fellows, double and single rings. Got rid of all but one, a 'Richwood' OC 3 piece. Still have a whole heap of TTO Gillettes and numerous slants (twisted head) razors. When all these artisan stainless and Ti razors came along I became obsessed with them, and I still am ...  Wink

9 277
 05-31-2019, 09:49 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I understand this is the age or artisan DE, SE or whatever other letters you want to apply, for me, it's been a great ride and I don't want it to stop, though I just want the price to stabilize to be from 75-200.

61 773
 05-31-2019, 10:07 AM
User Info
(05-31-2019, 09:49 AM)bijou Wrote: I understand this is the age or artisan DE, SE or whatever other letters you want to apply, for me, it's been a great ride and I don't want it to stop, though I just want the price to stabilize to be from 75-200.

This video tells my story in the words of "Johnny Rocco"  Wink

9 277
 05-31-2019, 04:04 PM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
I agree with @bijou in regards to the performance of the Ascension razor. And I would like to add my $.02 on the whole series including the EVO DOC SS.

The Ascension family of razors shares nothing shave characteristics wise with it’s older brother, the venerable EVO DOC razor. That razor which is the one to the extreme right is a ferociously efficient and some have even termed it as a harsh shaver. The EVO nearly has no bend or angle to the blade, almost straight and is rigidly supported almost the whole width and length of he blade. So, it’s a very blade forward feeling shaver that requires a nice light touch and smooth even strokes. It’s not a razor you pick up for a late morning get to work 5 minute shaver. It requires some concentration and good technique to get the best out of it. The Ascension series of razors have much more of a curvature built in to give it that built in twist adjustability that it was designed for using the blade for tension. It’s a lot smoother than the EVO yet, just as efficient in shave performance. And a whole lot easier and forgiving on the skin. They really are all excellent performers, the Ascension series of razors that is. And the EVO is without question my preferred open comb razor in my den. It’s a heck of a razor as well.

From left to right...
Aluminum, Copper, Stainless Ascension razors and the EVO DOC SS

[Image: 8Q8eQkn.jpg]

[Image: LL48bJp.jpg]

1 291
 06-09-2019, 01:49 PM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
A real nice and smooth shave from the Copper Ascension. I'm slowly gravitating to it more and more over the Stainless version. Just a real good shaver that delivers consistently good shaves one after the other. Not that it is better than the Stainless one, it just feels better in the hands. Maybe the few extra grams it has on the SS Ascension. I really can't say. It just works extremely well....

[Image: AX5l7B0.jpg]

1 291
 06-10-2019, 09:55 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
They are back in stock

100 1,251
 06-10-2019, 10:50 AM
User Info
They were back in stock Confused

24 199
 06-28-2019, 08:51 AM
User Info
Back in stock now, just ordered. Will go well with my Timeless Bronze OC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 2