05-31-2019, 12:08 PM
User Info
Quite a few brushes show up on this site for sale, and lately I've been thinking about buying a used brush.

Thing is, how the hell do I sanitize it? With razors, barbicide works great, but I don't know what will work for brushes.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

1 73
 05-31-2019, 12:23 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
1 soak half hour in Borax and Hot water
2 Soak half hour in Dial Soap and hot water or any Anti-Bacterial soap
3 soak 5 minutes (no longer) conditioner and hot water

99 1,242
 05-31-2019, 12:25 PM
User Info
I would just wash it thoroughly with dish soap.

60 9,345
 05-31-2019, 12:30 PM
User Info
(05-31-2019, 12:23 PM)Barrylu Wrote: 1 soak half hour in Borax and Hot water
You think this is sufficient enough to remove any blood borne pathogens?

1 73
 05-31-2019, 12:34 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(05-31-2019, 12:30 PM)Aporia Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 12:23 PM)Barrylu Wrote: 1 soak half hour in Borax and Hot water
You think this is sufficient enough to remove any blood borne pathogens?

If in doubt, buy new. I won’t buy used brushes personally.

52 20,929
 05-31-2019, 01:25 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
While not a medical professional, many blood borne pathogens in dried blood have a somewhat short life - a week (more or less).  I would think a good washing like stated above would eliminate most issues but not completely sanitize the brush.

Brush artisans (Brad Sears, Paladin, Elite, ...) seem to clean the knots before installing/selling.  They could be a good source of info.

16 807
 05-31-2019, 02:01 PM
User Info
Give it a good washing, perhaps a 5:1 water/vinegar soak, followed by a good lather with a shave soap. I would not be afraid at all. 

71 5,448
 05-31-2019, 02:10 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
I've bought a bunch of used brushes. I usually just lather it up in a bowl with some regular hair shampoo. I use my wife's stuff (some basic suave shampoo). I swirl it around the bowl for a few minutes, give it a thorough rinse and use it in a day or two. I'm sure I've just put a couple of them right into use. I know I've also used anti-bacterial hand soap on a few when my wife's shampoo seemed to be almost empty.

15 852
 05-31-2019, 02:27 PM
User Info
Well, the badger kinda drug it around in the dirt before it became a knot, so.......

But in all seriousness, I get it.  It doesnt personally bother me much but I get it.  The few used I bought got a washing then a quick soak in high octane alcohol, shook out and placed in the Idaho sunshine for a couple of days.  That and I bought the used brushes from gents I knew.

6 438
 05-31-2019, 02:57 PM
User Info
I won't buy used brushes either.  I can't get past the fact that when you use a brush on yourself, you're exfoliating your face, which is clearly a good thing when you are the sole user, but not necessarily when someone else was the user.  I keep thinking about all those dead skin cells that lodge themselves into the brush and don't come out from regular washing or washing as described in the above posts.  I've bought all the expensive brushes I plan on buying.  Most of my brushes are pretty cheap so I don't see the benefit of buying used.  That said, I've pondered buying a Paladin.  Those are definitely some spectacular brush handles.  The key word in that sentence is "pondered".

2 327
 05-31-2019, 03:20 PM
User Info
(05-31-2019, 02:57 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I won't buy used brushes either.  I can't get past the fact that when you use a brush on yourself, you're exfoliating your face, which is clearly a good thing when you are the sole user, but not necessarily when someone else was the user.  I keep thinking about all those dead skin cells that lodge themselves into the brush and don't come out from regular washing or washing as described in the above posts.  I've bought all the expensive brushes I plan on buying.  Most of my brushes are pretty cheap so I don't see the benefit of buying used.  That said, I've pondered buying a Paladin.  Those are definitely some spectacular brush handles.  The key word in that sentence is "pondered".

Hmmmmm....this is the exact reasoning that causes me to buy a used brush...interesting...different strokes for different folks I suppose!

Vr

Matt

29 1,466
 05-31-2019, 03:39 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
I soak all (new and used) brushes before their first use in Benefect  (Botanical disinfectant) for 15 minutes, then use dish soap, then disinfectant again, and then good shampoo and conditioner. I also comb the brush thoroughly but not forcefully between the washing stages.  Almost 1/3 of my brushes were procured second hand but I never had a skin health issue after using them. The knots have never been impacted negatively by this routine.

123 1,850
 05-31-2019, 03:55 PM
User Info
 05-31-2019, 04:05 PM
User Info
Let's not spend too much time thinking about what the last inhabitant did in our Vegas hotel room.   Eeeewwww.

6 438
 06-01-2019, 05:25 AM
User Info
Every 2-3 months, I gently deep clean my brushes using the following two step method.

1. 1 part household vinegar to 9 parts warm-to-mediumhot water....soak around 5 min.... dip the brush in the liquid
using a gentle plunging motion that forces the liquid into the bottom of the knot. Swirl it gently, rotate the handle
in the solution. This dissolves any remnants of soap, and the acetic acid in vinegar kills a wide variety of bacteria.

2. Next, 3 pumps of dishwashing liquid and a little glycerin in similarly hot water. Follow the same soaking process.

Rinse under warm water, squeeze head very gently, shake off excess water and gently brush on towel. At this point,
there will be a little smell of vinegar.

Then do a hand lather with your favourite shave soap to condition the hair ....after this the vinegar smell is gone and
you are done.

pS. I used the word gentle 4-5 times for a reason.

3 315
 06-01-2019, 05:36 AM
User Info
(05-31-2019, 03:20 PM)Ols67 Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 02:57 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I won't buy used brushes either.  I can't get past the fact that when you use a brush on yourself, you're exfoliating your face, which is clearly a good thing when you are the sole user, but not necessarily when someone else was the user.  I keep thinking about all those dead skin cells that lodge themselves into the brush and don't come out from regular washing or washing as described in the above posts.  I've bought all the expensive brushes I plan on buying.  Most of my brushes are pretty cheap so I don't see the benefit of buying used.  That said, I've pondered buying a Paladin.  Those are definitely some spectacular brush handles.  The key word in that sentence is "pondered".

Hmmmmm....this is the exact reasoning that causes me to buy a used brush...interesting...different strokes for different folks I suppose!

Vr

Matt

Hmmmmmmm........so you like spreading someone else's dead skin cells all over your face while you lather up for each pass?  Interesting indeed.  Definitely different strokes for different folks.  Confused

2 327
 06-01-2019, 05:38 AM
User Info
(05-31-2019, 04:05 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Let's not spend too much time thinking about what the last inhabitant did in our Vegas hotel room.   Eeeewwww.

Ok then.  Then I won't share what my childhood friend who ended up as the General Manager of a Marriott Hotel told me that people do and what the hotel doesn't do about those things.  EEEEEEEWWWWWWWW.

2 327
 06-01-2019, 05:50 AM
User Info
(06-01-2019, 05:38 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 04:05 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Let's not spend too much time thinking about what the last inhabitant did in our Vegas hotel room.   Eeeewwww.

Ok then.  Then I won't share what my childhood friend who ended up as the General Manager of a Marriott Hotel told me that people do and what the hotel doesn't do about those things.  EEEEEEEWWWWWWWW.

For a bit of "fun", bring a UV-flashlight along on your next vacation... just recall that not everything that shows up under UV is gross per see.

3 6,510
 06-01-2019, 02:40 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Even without a UV-flashlight, I would feel safer with a gently used Brad Sears brush purchased on a shaving forum compared to a $10 Chinese brush purchased new on some internet site.

16 807
 06-01-2019, 03:44 PM
User Info
(06-01-2019, 05:36 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 03:20 PM)Ols67 Wrote:

Vr

Matt

Hmmmmmmm........so you like spreading someone else's dead skin cells all over your face while you lather up for each pass?  Interesting indeed.  Definitely different strokes for different folks.  Confused

Eh....not really...I was just trying to be funny! That being said isn’t dust about 70-80% skin cells from everyone around us? It’s unavoidable...I figure lathering a brush up with anti-bacterial soap a few times, and then letting it dry for a few days cleans a barely used brush quite well!

Vr

Matt

29 1,466