05-31-2019, 10:51 PM
User Info
I am wondering if there are other people like me for whom blades don't last long. I have been wet shaving now for more than 3 years and I feel like I have good technique. I have very sensitive skin, but very course / rough beard hair. My beard hair seems to eat blades for supper. Derby blades start tugging in the first pass. Skin does not like feathers. The best blade seems to be polsilver super iridium with permasharp blades in second place. I have not tried the muhle blades and the gillette platinums, but have tried pretty much all blades I could get my hands on in Canada. But all blades have to be tossed out after 1 shave. The second shave always feels like hair is tugging. Would love the hear about the experience of others.

0 77
 06-01-2019, 03:31 AM
User Info
I only use blades once.

60 9,567
 06-01-2019, 03:53 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
One and done with DE blades. Artist club blades can last 4 or 5 shaves.

0 341
 06-01-2019, 07:05 AM
User Info
I agree that DE blades are not for many uses (after all one of the reasons for wet shaving is to have sharp blades constantly) but I think one time is just too soon, for me at least. Some blades are at their best on the second use (e.g. Feather) and you lose that if you throw them after the first. Personally, I use them 3 times and the AC type ones 6-8 times.

If course all this depends on the type of hair as well so it's quite likely one use for some people to be their upper limit.

0 13
 06-01-2019, 07:32 AM
User Info
What’s your prep like? What soaps are you using? While I prefer sharp blades - good prep makes each shave comfortable

36 1,902
 06-01-2019, 11:07 AM
User Info
I get 2 weeks of daily shaves easily per blade. I’ve gotten 30+ before, the blade still shaved great but changed out of boredom.

Edit: I use Wizamet Iridium super Extra Stainless blades.

I also find that about shave 6-7 there is one shave that isn’t as good, but smoothed out again afternoon that shave to to better than the first few shaves.

13 635
 06-01-2019, 11:22 AM
User Info
I obtain several excellent two-pass + touch up shaves with each blade.

I use only Feather H-Stainless or Persona Medical Prep (i.e., the USA-made ones in a cardboard box) DE blades, shopped around and purchased in large quantities to obtain relatively low prices.  Both are always very sharp with the Persona always smoother IME.  My experience with other popular blades was less favorable.

The Feather is smoothest on days 2-3, then usually discarded, while the Persona Med often lasts 5-7 shaves.  But I don't hesitate to install a new blade - even mid-shave - at the first hint of roughness. 

I move the same blade from razor to razor until it is discarded and always hand/palm strop, even before the first use.

With almost always daily shaving my medium dense stubble is not too long.

And I've learned to let my pre-shave prep -usually a well massaged scrubbing with Musgo Real/Ach Brito lime oil soap, and often a Proraso or ABC pre-shave well massaged in, "cure" at least a full minute to thoroughly soften the stubble before lathering.

After much practice the result nowadays is typically a close-to-BBS shave in two passes with zero irritation, rarely any nicks and excellent post-shave feel.

YMMV

0 34
 06-01-2019, 11:57 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
I change mine once a week, and I shave once per day six days a week. Usually they still feel good on the last shave, but sometimes they seem rough on the fifth. It depends on the blade. The ones that sometimes have a shorter life are blades that I will probably stop using when I finish the ones that I have. I could be happy with GSB, Nacet, and Feather Hi Platinum from here on out. I also have an SE-2 on the way, so I will see how long an AC blade lasts for me (or I might just stick to the same once a week routine).

15 899
 06-01-2019, 01:02 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
One shave per blade and done, regardless of brand.
It’s not worth it to do otherwise for me.

113 19,206
 06-01-2019, 01:08 PM
User Info
I agree with Mike, prep really is key.  

But then, so are the blades themselves - and they can vary from tuck to tuck - and from razor to razor.

Personally, I've sort of dumped my concern for how long a particular blade lasts - the cost of each blade, and by extension, the cost of each shave is so small comparatively that I don't really worry that much anymore about blade longevity.  I have my blade preferences of course - mainly Polsilvers, GSBs, and a couple others - and I'll extend the use of each blade as long as practicable, but like I said, I don't worry anymore that tossing a blade is somehow wasteful.

Do focus on prep though - and "listen" to your alum block.  And let both guide your technique.

0 482
 06-01-2019, 05:07 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
One and done with all blades for me. I shave daily and using a fresh blade every day appeals to me.

54 731
 06-01-2019, 05:10 PM
User Info
(06-01-2019, 07:32 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: What’s your prep like? What soaps are you using? While I prefer sharp blades - good prep makes each shave comfortable

I usually shave after a shower. I shave with cold water, proraso white or green preshave, shaving with the grain and across the grain. My soap rotation includes -- Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale, Barrister and Mann waves, Henri Et Victoria Nautilus, Musgo Real, Declaration Grooming - Chantillion Lux Bon Vivant and sometimes Pre de Provence 63.

0 77
 06-01-2019, 05:18 PM
User Info
(06-01-2019, 05:10 PM)meshave Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 07:32 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: What’s your prep like? What soaps are you using? While I prefer sharp blades - good prep makes each shave comfortable

I usually shave after a shower. I shave with cold water, proraso white or green preshave, shaving with the grain and across the grain. My soap rotation includes -- Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale, Barrister and Mann waves, Henri Et Victoria Nautilus, Musgo Real, Declaration Grooming - Chantillion Lux Bon Vivant and sometimes Pre de Provence 63.

I started out with the usual warmish hot water shave with the 3 pass shave. While it was better than cartridge razors, feedback from alcoholic aftershave and alum block was stinging. After watching a video of Matt of razor emporium, I tried cold water shaving and the proraso preshave and it has made a world of difference.

0 77
 06-02-2019, 02:38 AM
User Info
(05-31-2019, 10:51 PM)meshave Wrote: I am wondering if there are other people like me for whom blades don't last long. I have been wet shaving now for more than 3 years and I feel like I have good technique. I have very sensitive skin, but very course / rough beard hair. My beard hair seems to eat blades for supper. Derby blades start tugging in the first pass. Skin does not like feathers. The best blade seems to be polsilver super iridium with permasharp blades in second place. I have not tried the muhle blades and the gillette platinums, but have tried pretty much all blades I could get my hands on in Canada. But all blades have to be tossed out after 1 shave. The second shave always feels like hair is tugging. Would love the hear about the experience of others.

For me when I used to do, It usually lasts 3 times... or after 3 I change anyway...

0 18
 06-02-2019, 08:47 AM
  • Nero
User Info
I seem to be able to get 4 shaves from Gillette Platinum... and 3 from Polsilver SI.
(I don't use any other blades)

91 3,794
 06-02-2019, 10:03 PM
User Info
In my use, blades gets better on the second and third shaves.
By the fourth they struggle.
Then I toss them.

3 332
 06-03-2019, 03:21 AM
User Info
I typically only use the FHS-10 blades in the Oneblade Genesis and Blackblade once.

Vr

Matt

32 1,709
 06-03-2019, 06:11 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Not too often do I toss out a blade after only one use but I have done so if the shave is that bad. We all have our fave blades but most of mine will last not more than 5 shaves although a Kai will push the outer limits to upwards of 2 weeks shaving every other day.

0 579
 06-07-2019, 07:35 PM
User Info
Two shaves is it per blade and i only use feathers or nacets.

0 13
 06-08-2019, 12:34 PM
User Info
1 or 2 shaves with Feather and 3 everything else.

4 19