06-26-2019, 06:34 AM
User Info
(06-26-2019, 05:21 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 01:55 AM)idan Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 06:52 PM)doodude Wrote: So I have tried a total of 62 cartridge razors after getting in to DE shaving three years ago. I still DE shave once per month, but only when I have time to do it right (I have young kids and little time). My daily drivers are cartridge razors and the occasional electric razor during lazy weekends.

These are my cartridge choices in order:

1) Gillette Fusion ProGlide
My 2 Cents: Closeness is 6.5 out of 10. Best Overall Razor. 
I prefer the modified handle with stand: Link Here

2) Bic Flex 5 Hybrid
My 2 Cents: Closeness is 9 out of 10. This is the closest cutting razor that my sensitive skin can take (as long as I have the right prep). If you don't have good prep like a good face wash, pre shave oil, or a great shaving cream, then just skip to number three!  Alternatively, you can try the Bic Flex 4 Hybrid, as it gets as close but without the sensitivity..... it just doesn't feel nearly as good as the Flex 5 Hybrid. Also, the Bic Flex 5 Hybrid razor sharpness doesn't last as long as the others on this list, but the price is competitive if you take everything into account (these are the cheapest on this list).
My review here: Link Here

3) Dorco Pace 6 Plus 
My 2 Cents: Closeness is 8 out of 10. Probably the closest to Gillette Fusion if Bic Flex is to close. Overall a fabulous razor. Razor lasts almost as long as the Gillette.

4) Dorco Pace 7

My 2 Cents: Closeness is 9.5 out of 10. Be careful not to get nicked around the side of the mouth or under nose. This gets the side of my face well, but gives me razor-burn on my neck if I put any pressure on the handle. While this is a great razor, it's just not as well rounded as the other three on this list, and the razor can easily get clogged if you have anything thicker than Cremo. Heck, even Cremo gets clogged sometimes.

Cartridges I've Tried: Barbasol Ultra 6 Plus, BIC Flex3 Hybrid, BIC Flex5 Hybrid, BIC Hybrid 3 Comfort, BIC Hybrid4 Flex, Bull Dog Original Bamboo Razor, Defender, Dollar Shave Club, Dorco Pace 3, Dorco Pace 4, Dorco Pace 5 Pro, Dorco Pace 6, Dorco Pace 6 Plus, Dorco Pace 7, Dorco Pace Comfort Thin II, Dorco Pace Power, Every Man Jack Manual Razor, Gillette Atra Plus, Gillette Fusion 5 , Gillette Fusion 5 Proglide, Gillette Fusion 5 Proshield, Gillette Labs - Heated Razor, Gillette Mach 3 Turbo, Gillette Sensor, Gillette Sensor Excel, Gillette Trac II, Gillette Trac II Aftermarket - All Metal Trac 2, Harry's Truman / Winston, Jack Black 5-Blade Razor,, Micro Touch Tough Blade, Personna Auto, Plus/S2/Twin Pivot Plus, Personna Bump Fighter, Personna Caliber 3, Personna Caliber 5, Personna Caliber 5 With Motion Sphere, Personna EasyFit 3, Personna M5 Magnum/X5, Personna Matrix 3, Personna Tri-Flexxx, Personna Triple Pivot Plus, Schick Hydro 5 Blade Cartridge Razor, Schick Hydro 5 Sense (Sensitive, Engergize, Hydrate), Schick Hydro 3 Razor, Schick Hydro 5 Razor, Schick Quattro Titanium Razor, Swipe 3-blade, Swipe 4-blade, Swipe 6-blade, OneBlade -The Core/Genesis, Leaf Shave, Solimo 5-Blade MotionSphere Razor, Solimo 3-Blade MotionSphere Razor, Marram Co Modern Razor, Grüum Oska - Precision 6, Grüum Oska - Max 5, Grüum Oska - Comfort 3, Shave It - Value, Shave It - Grand, Shave It - Pro, Feather F3, Feather MR3 Neo, Feather FII Neo.

Cartridge Notes: I did not eliminate duplicate razor cartridges since i believe handles make a difference. A good bit of razor cartridges on this list are Rebranded Dorco or Personna cartridges. I also did not include cartridges that I can't purchase in the US.

Honorable Mentions: Gillette Mach 3 Turbo, Schick Quattro Titanium, and KOS 5-Blade Razor (UK only at the moment). 

Best Shave Ever: Gillette Fusion Proglide (2 passes) with a Gillette Sensor Excel for side of mouth and under nose (1 pass). 
Products I used for best shave ever are: shaving prep with Lucky Tiger Face Wash, shave is with OneBlade Black Tie Lavender Shaving Cream, and post shave with Harry's Post Shave Balm. People always ask me if I took a warm or hot shower before hand, and the answer is no. I just woke up and put a hot towel on my face for only a minute before I started with the Lucky Tiger Face Wash.

PS: Now I am focusing on Pre, Shave, and Post Shave products. I'll post again next year when I have conclusive results on that.

I hope this helps someone reading, I have learned so much about DE shaving on this forum and would like to contribute something. This has been a three year (cartridge) journey that I would like to share with everyone here.

PLEASE REPLY with any cartridge razor that I missed or any shave product I must try! 

Thanks,
DooDude

How the Regular Gillette Fusion(Orange) compared to the Gillette Fusion Proglide? And with which razor you get a closer shave (between the two)?
Many thanks have a nice day Smile

Try them for yourself.
It’s impossible to predict how you will like them.

I prefer the original orange Fusion over all the newer versions. It’s not quite as sharp to start out with, but it retains its sharpness quite well for 12-15 sometimes even 20 shaves, when stropped frequently and overall is the more comfortable of the Fusion blades in my personal view.

I sent you a private message and would be happy if you could answer.
Have a fantastic day..

0 85
 06-26-2019, 09:01 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I find this discussion quite amazing and thorough with details only those of us on the forum can appreciate to this extent. 

In the op it was stated that due to time restraints cart shavers were quicker but really without all the prep that some do I believe that a pretty good shave can be had with practice. I don't have the time to prep and use only warm water before a shave and it works for me. I only do a 2 pass shave though. I know y'all going to say I'm not getting the "best a man can" but I'm very happy with that. 

Carts are gone from my routine even when on the road. 

But thank you for all the detail for when and if I ever need a cart in a pinch.

Awesome review of your choices!

0 535
 06-26-2019, 09:32 AM
User Info
(06-26-2019, 06:34 AM)idan Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 05:21 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 01:55 AM)idan Wrote: How the Regular Gillette Fusion(Orange) compared to the Gillette Fusion Proglide? And with which razor you get a closer shave (between the two)?
Many thanks have a nice day Smile

Try them for yourself.
It’s impossible to predict how you will like them.

I prefer the original orange Fusion over all the newer versions. It’s not quite as sharp to start out with, but it retains its sharpness quite well for 12-15 sometimes even 20 shaves, when stropped frequently and overall is the more comfortable of the Fusion blades in my personal view.

I sent you a private message and would be happy if you could answer.
Have a fantastic day..

I’m sorry, but the way you constantly use alternation font type makes your posts unreadable for me on mobile devices and you seem to go on and on into too much detail about the subject.

I suffer from ocd and mild autism, so I know it when I see it.

I perfectly understand you want the best detailed advice possible.

I’ve been there myself.

But trust me when I give you this advice:

Don’t overthink things making them more complicated than they really are.

Just do it - you HAVE to test the blades on your own skin. No one can help you without having your beard and skin type. NO ONE !

They might try to help you out of friendliness, but in reality they often do more harm than good.

Buy a pack of the 5 pristine carts on the market and test them during your shaves over a span of 25-35 shaves total.

Then you know for sure what works best for you.

We can spend hours and hours and writing several 100’s posts here without really helping you.

25 6,587
 06-26-2019, 04:29 PM
User Info
Thanks DooDude for documenting your experiences and sharing. I appreciate your time and effort and the good intention you had to share on the forum. 
Personally I find myself going back to Carts after 4-5 years learning DE shaving.  
For ease, convenience, and a result as good as a DE without the chance of irritation or nicks I find, for me the right Cart is the answer.  
I differ with you on the rating however.
1- Sensor (with a Taconic heavy metal handle)
2- Atra Plus ( with a Taconic heavy metal handle)
3- Trac 2 ( with flat spine handle, but will get around to trying a heavy metal handle)
4- Gillette Fusion 5, (the Orange cart) in any Fusion handle

The lesson is YMMV and th answer for each of us, I fully believe, is to experiment and explore for yourself.

0 9
 06-27-2019, 06:08 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
For me, Gillette Fusion ProGlide on Power SilverTouch Flexball handle.
[Image: image.php?album_id=4&image_id=38351]

0 1,675